• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Five Inches in Three Hours!

dabtl

Five inches of rain in three hours. Lots of local flooding.

Took the deuce out for a spin getting people of the roofs of cars.

Water generally only four feet deep with a strong current. After a bit, the cops starting moving the barricades when we came up.

Drive up to some forlorn person on the roof of a truck, gather him up and bring him ashore. A fine feeling.

More is forecast so perhaps the deuce will get more swimming lessons tonight. :D

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It is a good feeling to help people.

It is a better feeling to help people with your Deuce :D:D:D:D:D:D

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
We worked the flood of 96 in Wheeling West Virginia and the folks there really appreciated the work we did to help them our dueces and HMMWV's got a lot of folks out of harms way and our Soldiers helped to save the Wheeling Civic Arena. One of the highlights of the news coverage was video of my HMMWV going up and down the front steps of the Arena out of the flood water and up to the veranda at the top of the steps. I had two big American flags fastened to my grill guard. The Salvation Army was the first NGO on site helping the folks who were driven out of their homes.

Thanks for helping out fellow Texans there aren't finer folks anywhere else on earth.

God bless Texas

David_4x4

Here's the only pic I managed to snap. It's down the street from the house. Water here was easily clearing the hood of this poor ranger. Was one of the deepest spots we hit. The tops of the fenders on the M35 were pushing the water.

One gentleman was stuck on the hood of his F-250 4x4. We had to drive the deuce a good 100 yds just to get to him. The only thing visible was the upper part of his windshield and the cab roof. We rolled up front bumper to front bumper, where he then crawled to the hood and we drove back to safety.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The same storm is sopposed to be here today. Glad the truck is full of fuel. It may get a workout. Day's like this make me glad to have a hard top and a deep water fording kit. Looks like i'll be doing wheel bearings again soon.

halftrack

It's especially nice when the people you are trying to rescue demand that you give up your truck, like they tried to do to me here in New Orleans. By the way, make damn sure the fuel tank cap has the rubber seal on it and its a snug fit. Otherwise you might find yourself in a middle of a lawless city at midnight in total darkness on a 5 ton paper weight.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a LOT of rain. Glad to see you were able to help out your local folks in the flood. Does a lot for our hobby, too, gives us great PR, proving that we're not a bunch of Rambo-wannabees with our OD rigs and all. Plus, its a Christian thing to do! :)

dgough

halftrack said:
It's especially nice when the people you are trying to rescue demand that you give up your truck, like they tried to do to me here in New Orleans. By the way, make dang sure the fuel tank cap has the rubber seal on it and its a snug fit. Otherwise you might find yourself in a middle of a lawless city at midnight in total darkness on a 5 ton paper weight.
Tell me more about who was trying to take your truck. Did you get stuck?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
DABTL, thanks for helping to give the hobby a good name and for helping out your neighbors. If you have a concealed carry permit, it wouldn't hurt to pack some heat in case you run into some bad folks like Jason aka halftrack did. Course it is TX. Everyone packs heat down there don't they? ;)

David_4x4

It was nothing on the scale of New Orleans that's for sure, but you never know. Even rolling throght the "bad" parts of town. People were on their porches waving and taking pics. Probably just glad to see someone was around driving making sure everything was ok.

halftrack

dgough said:
halftrack said:
It's especially nice when the people you are trying to rescue demand that you give up your truck, like they tried to do to me here in New Orleans. By the way, make dang sure the fuel tank cap has the rubber seal on it and its a snug fit. Otherwise you might find yourself in a middle of a lawless city at midnight in total darkness on a 5 ton paper weight.
Tell me more about who was trying to take your truck. Did you get stuck?
The "locals" who stayed behind in the bad parts of town. My 5 ton tractor did not get stuck. While pulling a police dept's M35 out that got swamped in high water because of stupidity, my 5 ton's fuel tank was being filled with water because of the lack of the rubber gasket. It stalled out while almost out of the deep water. Finally got it running after draing some fuel out and pull starting it after about a mile.

OSO

Good point ! Looking at the fuel tank cap's gasket ,who would to think of that before it happened ? I know it sounds kinda of funny , but funny little things can get you into a lot of trouble! [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks