• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Five ton deck and ladder.

TheBuggyman

Well, another little project!

I got tired of grabbing a ladder from the shop every time I wanted to get under the hood of my truck and I got tired of walking all over my winch.

So, necessity is the mother of invention and we have a ladder and a deck! I have ordered non skid strips for the ladder rungs and deck surface already because I'm sure it will be slippery.

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dude!

That's some fine welding and a great lookin' addition. Ya gotta love the looks of a 5 ton.

Again, nice work.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Nice work. I was wondering if the extensions were longer then stock too. What about making the second rung telescope, so it can lay flat off of the winch. Maybe hang the lower rung with some heavy wire rope that fits up into the upper. You could trap the rope with appropriate size washers.

TheBuggyman

builder77 said:
Nice work. I was wondering if the extensions were longer then stock too. What about making the second rung telescope, so it can lay flat off of the winch. Maybe hang the lower rung with some heavy wire rope that fits up into the upper. You could trap the rope with appropriate size washers.
Yes, the winch extensions are home made so they probably are longer than normal.
I like the idea of the wire rope extension, I could cut off some of the ladder and add that at any time. I'd rather have it lay flat also but it was just too short if I ended the ladder before the winch. Today I'll paint it flat black so maybe it will hide it a little better. As soon as I come across something to make an extension I'll make it happen, thanks for the idea!

No.2Diesel

Outstanding!!! Full sheets of Diamond tread steel are big $$. The smooth stuff is fine. What thickness did you choose?

Has anyone ever had their Deuce or 5ton with winch dig into the groud when off-road due to the long overhang? A roller similar to the WWII halftracks would be cool.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I potentially see a problem though with a couple things. Since you welded the plate to the bumper and the front fender support, you're going to have fun if you ever need to take the front bumper off. Also, I would've definitely used square/rectangular stock or steel mesh for the steps. Round steps are definitely going to be fun if they get oily or covered in ice someday...

Course, what the hell do I know - I can't even weld!

TheBuggyman

No.2Diesel said:
Outstanding!!! Full sheets of Diamond tread steel are big $$. The smooth stuff is fine. What thickness did you choose?

Has anyone ever had their Deuce or 5ton with winch dig into the groud when off-road due to the long overhang? A roller similar to the WWII halftracks would be cool.
I had some flat sheet steel at the house so that is what I used, I think that it is .125 thick.
I've got some non-skid strips on the way for it.

TheBuggyman

maddawg308 said:
I potentially see a problem though with a couple things. Since you welded the plate to the bumper and the front fender support, you're going to have fun if you ever need to take the front bumper off. Also, I would've definitely used square/rectangular stock or steel mesh for the steps. Round steps are definitely going to be fun if they get oily or covered in ice someday...

Course, what the hot place do I know - I can't even weld!
Mike,
That's funny, I have some square stock but I chose the round for the feel of it in the arch of your foot. (I hope it works!) There will be a 1" x 10" strip of non-skid on each step to prevent slips.

If I ever have to get the bumper off I'm really hosed because my frame extensions and bumper mounts are all welded too! If I ever had to remove it I would just cut it off with a torch and weld it back on again. 8)

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you can weld like that, who needs bolts?

Neat idea, make working on the truck a breeze.

Dennis

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks