• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Five Ton to the Rescue

lafmedic1

Hello,

New Member here. I wish to share with you about my fire department and how we recently purchased a 5 Ton for High water use . I hope this will generate new discussion on its capabilities as a rescue vehicle and allow for there to be an ongoing thread here as we modify and repair the 5 ton in service

A few months ago we finally managed to submerge and kill our 2 1/2 Ton that we had on loan from the Forestry Service. It had been with the department for the better part of 15 years. The repair costs had been mounting on a vehicle produced in 1967 that had served well past its time. Traditionally we would use this vehicle for high water and hurricane rescues with its ability to pull trees from the road or cross high water.

We discovered that we would be able to purchase a 5 ton from the state via DOD property sales.We traveled to the depot and found several vehicles to chose from.
26794032352_51eab609c5_o.jpg27030931981_360902ea68_o.jpg26887644255_1e850c2c18_o.jpg
The truck we ended up selecting had some paint issues but was mechanically sound and had low hours . There was some grumbling between members who wanted it and some who did not. I must say the price we paid was great(not sure if I can share that here) and was well worth it . On the way back there was some confusion on tank fuel gauge selector vs actual tank selection and the engine became fuel starved. We managed to get it back the 60 or so miles by being towed about half way. The only issues found were with the winch being very stiff and requiring a lot of leverage to open.

As some of you know we had record rainfall recently. the 5 ton came in to hard use within only a few months of being purchased. I will share the flooding pictures and look forward to more discussion
Thank you
29243328842_71f85bacee_o.jpg29063987700_13fc91565b_o.jpg28730177233_cff9fe36ce_o.jpg28728213054_ee78a42e83_o.jpg29351150425_d1917af596_o.jpg

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Sometimes those valves can get gunked up. Being that there is no filter between each tank and the valve. and there is usually always stuff at the bottom of the tanks. I tend to just stick with one tank when I am using a tractor. Just in case the tank doesn't switch with the handle.

I installed a electric pump to just pump from my passengers side tank into my main tank on my 923.

Gunzy

Nice. Those M930s are a little rare and to have the troop seats and cover is also rare. Nice score for you guys.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice. Those M930s are a little rare and to have the troop seats and cover is also rare. Nice score for you guys.
Gunzy is certainly right. Take care of those things, all of it is truly hard to find. You almost never see cargo covers for the dump trucks.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I hope your dept has done the post fording maintenance and with the picture of it being in water deep enough to fill the bed you are going to need it. I am pretty sure in water that deep a fording kit would be a good add on. I found out the hard way as I bought a M275 truck tractor that was used by a FD during Katrina and was assured they did all the post fording maint, it is now in a scrap yard.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a good looking truck! I have heard of the m930 but have never actually seen one, I was starting to think they were a mythical creature (seen plenty of m929's though).

lafmedic1

Thank you. We have run both tanks now that we know which lever chooses the tank. This truck came from a base direct to state depot so it did not sit long. Also has routine run and checks done before purchase

lafmedic1

The truck tan through friday till saturday before we lost the radiator hose but the truck never over heated. We have an on dity mechanic and He changed the diff fluid on Monday once things had calmed down. Looked like milk. We will be running the breather tubes higher and from what we understand the plug under the motor or diff was removed that can allow water in when the Snorkel was added

lafmedic1

There were actually 2 there. I didnt know it was rare.This one came from Florida from what we gathered. No rust on frame. Bed was full of asphalt build up. To address the other poster yes that is approx 8 ft of water on a state highway at night. As fr now we need to add a ladder. We are thinking of something similar to the LMTV set up unless someone can suggest something better. We can weld it and if someone has plans already that would be amazing

lafmedic1

Thats weird. There were extra tops we were offered. We decided to take off the soft cab cover and purchased a brand new in box hard top for very cheap

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe someone local can hook you up with a new hood. There where so many surplussed that they should be worth less than repainting it.

Flyingvan911

As MWMULES said post fording maintenance is huge. I would download the TM's and be sure you know every single thing that needs to be done after fording. You might even make a laminated cheat sheet since you may be fording more often than the average MV owner.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks