• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fix it or scrap it?

CanonNinja

Yeah, I knew it... I fuggin knew it... Karma came back to haunt me this weekend, even after helping someone get their Bronco out of a ravine... clipped the top of the exhaust stack on a tree limb, which in turn yanked the exhaust back, through the mirror, and ripped the cab up where the mirror bolts up just behind the hood... i'll get some pics tomorrow, but its pulled out a good 3" and popped what looks like some rivets, as well as tore some of the metal around the bolt holes... hood is misaligned now too...

What say you guys? I love the truck, but if its going to require some extensive work or a replacement cab, I dont have the heart for it that far :( :cry:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cannon, you have a nice truck. Why would you not go the distance and do whatever it takes to fix it?? I can't imagine what could have happened to offset that. Anyway I think I am headed to bed, so I am really curious to the outcome of this. :?
Jim

CanonNinja

more of a severe lack of "toy" money right now, and the money to really do the truck right is a long way out.... I dont even know if it can be fixed to be back to factory-looking.. i'll get the pics tomorrow... its amazing what one little pressure point on those mirrors can do.... probably time to look into reinforcing that anchor point

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Things always seem worst right away, get back to it with a calm head and re-think if its "toast" or not. Sorry to hear it happened.

OSO

The damage can't be all that bad did you roll it over? Or just some nasty whack,things can be put back together. Maybe not just perfect for now as time goes by , you might look at those as battle scars.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fix it. It'll be some work, but trust me, if you scrap it you'll wish a year from now that you didn't. Everyone regrets the truck or toy they sold/traded/scrapped down the road

houdel

Sounds like a little pounding with some body metal dollies and a body hammer should get the body work straightened out to an acceptable contour. The body dollies are pretty cheap. Some reinforcing plates on both sides of the mirror mounting holes should take care of the tears at the mirror mounting holes and fix that problem. That seems to be a weak point anyhow, I have a slight tear at one of my mirror mounting holes on the cowl and no sign of any external damage which would have caused the tear.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ditto to Houdel's comment

CanonNinja

another thought that I came up with.... can that cowl panel be cut and replaced? I havent looked all that close in the daylight, but I will this evening... looks like about 8 rivets on each side and a weld on each side in the back

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what I was thinking. Why not find a rotted at the bottom cab and cut the top out of it and weld it back?

CanonNinja

lemme rephrase.... by scrapping i mean selling to someone with more intent and drive than I... i would never part out or scrap a truck like this

papercu

Fix it

Huh-0 I smell another story here!! Wasn’t it just yesterday you were wanting info on removing the door glass ? And now today you come up with this wild story about tree limbs and exhaust stacks. I think someone got mad at the door and took it out on the truck! ‘Fess up or we will have to report you to the DFDCT (Department of Family Deuces and Care of Trailers )

Just trying to add a little humor to the end of a bad day. Best of Luck on the outcome. Wayne

pa.rich

RE: Fix it

Put yourself in granny low gear and just take it one step at a time. It doesnt hav to be done in one day.Take akk the damaged stuff off and straighten what you can , etc. This reminds me of my son's Toyota Land Cruiser that we worked togather on for a year, then he went out one morning and skidded on some snow and rolled it two times down into a creek. I was glad he wasnt hurt , but as the jeep rolled the doors flew open and bent up. The cab was all distoted and I never thought we would be able to save it. After we got it towed home I got it inside and started to see what I could do. I still cant believe I repaired it all. My son was so happy.When it was done the doors were all straightenened , repainted and it was as good as new. the cab straightened out and all new glass.

Deuceswild

CannonNinja,
Without seeing the damage it a hard ball to call, BUT picturing the damage in my mind from your description I really couldn't seeing parting with it, believe me, you'd regret it.
As PA. Rich says," take it one step at a time".
Back in 1982 I saw this 1970 Dodge Charger that I just had to have, and it was far from perfect but there was just something about it that was calling to me, I bought it for a whopping 375.00$ and drove it all the through High School while " fixing it up " in the process.
Loooooong story short I started a MAJOR restoration which took 7 years to complete,, 1987 thru 1994 with no drive time in-between those years and belive me there was MANY of times when I thought to myself why am I doing this and often thought about abandoning ship, but I didn't.
Anyhow, Every time I pull up to a gas pump, I ALWAYS here a story about the ONE THEY LET GO and how much they regret it.
Same thing holds true with my Deuce. It's a hobby and just like any-other hobby they all take time and patients.
Best to you.

CanonNinja

Re: Fix it

papercu said:
Huh-0 I smell another story here!! Wasn’t it just yesterday you were wanting info on removing the door glass ? And now today you come up with this wild story about tree limbs and exhaust stacks. I think someone got mad at the door and took it out on the truck! ‘Fess up or we will have to report you to the DFDCT (Department of Family Deuces and Care of Trailers )

Just trying to add a little humor to the end of a bad day. Best of Luck on the outcome. Wayne

haha... well I came up to go wheeling with another member here and replace the window the next day... on the way back to the house, my truck has a disagreement with a tree... and got slapped around :cry:

I did post that my getting frustrated a few weeks ago caused me to need a new window tho :(

CanonNinja

Deuceswild said:
CannonNinja,
Without seeing the damage it a hard ball to call, BUT picturing the damage in my mind from your description I really couldn't seeing parting with it, believe me, you'd regret it.
As PA. Rich says," take it one step at a time".
Back in 1982 I saw this 1970 Dodge Charger that I just had to have, and it was far from perfect but there was just something about it that was calling to me, I bought it for a whopping 375.00$ and drove it all the through High School while " fixing it up " in the process.
Loooooong story short I started a MAJOR restoration which took 7 years to complete,, 1987 thru 1994 with no drive time in-between those years and belive me there was MANY of times when I thought to myself why am I doing this and often thought about abandoning ship, but I didn't.
Anyhow, Every time I pull up to a gas pump, I ALWAYS here a story about the ONE THEY LET GO and how much they regret it.
Same thing holds true with my Deuce. It's a hobby and just like any-other hobby they all take time and patients.
Best to you.

that's the thing... I have no interest or desire right now to pour a lot of time and money into this or any big truck... I feel like I could start fresh, with a same-condition truck fresh from auction and be where I was before this mishap :oops: I'm not ready to dump a few grand into this, when there are bigger trucks I desire to have first over a mint-condition deuce.... now instead of a 90% truck, i have a truck that looks like a poor kid with down syndrome and will need quite a bit of paint/body work, plus $400 worth of new parts (assuming i buy new and not find someone scraping a truck... needs an entire clean air kit + mirror brace assembly)

Why me? :(

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a cab on ebay with zero bids and a starting price of 100$. You could swap cabs in under a day. Simple fix. :wink:

area52

Throw an old style truck mirror on there and start saving some money. I know I still kick myself for selling my very first deuce(the one I had before the one I sold to you). If it runs ok, looks are overrated!! :mrgreen:

I am looking for that info for you by the way.

CanonNinja

well, after some inspection today, i looks like a royal pain in the butt, but I have a reasonable quote for atleast the labor to get both sides of my boogered up cowl fixed... paint's another story... guess I need to park the truck for a few months until I get some funds and just go to town on it, as every restoration thread I see gets me excited... no pics of the damage yet, but I'll get some to show you guys the oopsies and get your opinions... but darn you all for talking me into another project! :lol:

You guys are right.. i like this truck way too much to let it go... just need to figure out what direction this "restoration" is going to go

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks