• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fix rust and also fix rust holes in '86 CUCV blazer

Jahsbsh

Hey!

I'm new to this website and to CUCVs so I'm not really sure if I'm posting this in the correct section. Do the TMs have anything about fixing rust or rust holes and preventing it in the future? I'm gonna be a CUCV owner here in around a month and I want to be prepared. Thanks!

cucvrus

Fixing RUST on a 35year old vehicle will be a never ending battle. If the part can be unbolted and has rust I suggest you replace that rusted part. I also suggest you do everything in your power to prevent RUST. These vehicles are RUST havens and always have been. Many of the panels are bare metal on the inner panels and after 30 years can poke the evil RUST bubble at any moment. Advise is keep the RUST at bay and fix it on the super structure as well as you can and keep after it. A few years unattended a small RUST hole becomes a major problem. Like I mentioned in your previous threads. I would disassemble the entire vehicle and clean, replace and paint every part. After that I would suggest you keep it out of the snow and ice and garaged. Driving it in inclement weather will just continue to eat it little by little. Nothing is the permanent repair to stop rust. Unless a climate control environment and never driven. Good Luck. The RUST and corrosion have a 35 year jump start on everyone of these CUCV vehicles. Be Safe. Do the best you can with what you have and continue to improve.

SDJunkMan

Hey!

I'm new to this website and to CUCVs so I'm not really sure if I'm posting this in the correct section. Do the TMs have anything about fixing rust or rust holes and preventing it in the future? I'm gonna be a CUCV owner here in around a month and I want to be prepared. Thanks!
Luckily just about all of the panels are availible for these old trucks, everything from whole panels to specific patch panels, not to mention there are a ton of old Chevys around as parts vehicles. Unfortunately welding skills are needed to replace some of the panels. Rockers, floors, inner fender wells, and cab corners are the most common areas for rust, but rust can happen anywhere.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rust in these vehicles has been an ongoing problem since day one, a heck of a lot more have been put to rest because of rust as opposed to wearing them out, they do go on forever but the bodies NOT!! The suggestion above are the best you can buy the panels pretty cheap they are easy to take off and replace I sure wouldnt bother fixing them if they have holes and if your going to paint the whole vehicle when done replacing panels great if not then paint the panels prior to installation!
Good luck
Karl

dependable

If you want to replace panels, as suggested above, a good alternative to welding is using rivets or screws and a body adhesive such as 3M 08115. This allows you to coat inner parts of the repair with rust inhibitor of your choice and then not burn coating off with welding heat.

After cutting out all the rust, cut down repair panels for a two inch overlap, drill holes and use Cleco fasteners to check position of repair. Coat both sides of lap with adhesive and rivet into place using holes you drilled for the Clecos. If you want to look finished, skim coat area with body filler, fair in, sand smooth, prime & paint.

Since I switched to this method, rust repairs last much longer. It is also a little easier learning curve if you don't weld regularly and you don't need a MIG welder.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks