• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

**Fixed*** Blazer dead. Starter needed asap

MT4222

Hi I'm sorry to post so frantically but my m1009 is dead on the side of the road. I need a starter. I am in michigan. I am on highway 127. Mile marker 83. If anyone has a starter I have cash available now. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your starter went bad as you were driving down the highway?

MT4222

No. We were convoying my deuce the m1009 a bunch of pickups. The deuce blew a tire. We pulled over and changed the tire. When it was time to get moving the blazer wouldnt start. My uncle has a starter he is on his way up now.

o1951

Often starter suddenly dies like that due to worn brushes. Old mechanic's trick - hit the side of the starter - jars brushes and usually you can get a few more starts out of it - gets you to where it can be replaced.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on the old mechanics trick. Some days I think my backhoe is that way and I remove the cover and tap on it and she starts right up.

MT4222

New starter installed. Truck started perfectly I hear a noise. Starter didnt shut off. Time to do the doghead starter relay? I disconnected the batteries in time and saved the new starter.

RedneckMilenko

you can still get home. Leave the relay hanging, after it satrs pull the relay out of the harness and you'll be good. I had to do that going home from work a year ago before I did the relay mod.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you saved the new starter. I would bet the relay stuck while you where driving and the starter was just spinning along.

There are naysayers about the relay upgrade but I have seen way too many OEM relays fail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skinny

I don't know how there can be naysayers when this stuff happens??? It's a much needed upgrade.

Even though you were stuck on the side of the road, you are very lucky something more catastrophic did not happen.

MarcusOReallyus

I don't know how there can be naysayers when this stuff happens??? It's a much needed upgrade.
Apparently some people believe that at some point, the relay problem was solved and trucks started getting a new, more reliable relay. Thus, they reason that there is no reason to do the doghead unless you have a problem.

I don't know if they are right about the relay problem getting solved or not.

I DO know that I don't agree with their reasoning. Waiting until you have destroyed a $200 starter or fried a bunch of expensive wiring to find out you need a $17 relay is not my idea of good sense.

Glad you're up and running and home! I've been beside the road more than once, and it's not a good feeling at all. :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks