• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fixed, cucv wont start and i need it monday.

lolercaust

Iv searched SS, TM's and every else that i could find and no luck. Im not incompident with trucks i just graduated a diesle tech school and im about to start welding school monday and my CUCV wont start. I just replaced the lift pump the armiture failed and the push rod slid off so i replaced it. I followed the TM's procedure for bleeding and it only took three cranks to bleed the new filter, then two more cranks to get it to fire BUT as soon as i let the key go from start to run the truck shut off. I craked a injector line and i got fuel, tried another and no fuel. The fuel shut off solinoid works fine clicks away with the pink wire. Do i just have alot of air in the pump or is it going bad. I dont think its going out it may be old but it only has 26k miles on it and its a very clean truck even the bottom end internals of the engine looks allmost new. any help would be great iv gota drive the truck to school monday.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just replaced my fuel tank on my 6.2 burb. Took 4 or 5 sessions of cranking and bleeding while being slaved to get it running. Takes a while for sure.

K9Vic

Reason why changing over to an electric fuel pumps makes more sense. Less time cranking to bleed out the system where an electric pump does it all without killing the starter.

Have you tried using about 4-8psi from a air compressor on the return line to bleed out the system until fuel comes out the bleed valve on the filter base? This should push out any air in the system and shorten the cranking time.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also lightly pressurize the fuel tank while someone is cranking. Use a rag and a blow gun to add a little air pressure, makes bleeding these 6.2 engines a breeze.

lolercaust

Thanks for the help every one, i tried to start her up and she really tried to run. Iv bleed the whole system and what im thinking is there is just alot of air left in the lines, and priming the low side used so much battery power i dont have enough left to crank the engine fast enough to over come the air in the high side lines. Right now shes on a charger with one battery to go. When she fired and died i think it injected/combusted the fuel in the lines and the fact that i released the key to "run" and it died was a quincadence. The way she was acting i think a few more trys and she will be running to night but it takes alot out of thouse old battery's and our charger just isnt up to the task. I guess i just lost a lil to much fuel (3/4 quart) when i swaped the lift pump.

lolercaust

Well me and my dad have come to the agrement that the pittly lil charger we have just cant cut it. I said well ill try her one more time and cranked her over, pour old start tryin as hard as it can then VROOOM fired up coughed a few time and away she went, with that beutiful clatering high camming sound of an old hard start hydromechanical! I love my truck its just a rumbling road beasty. well just alot of air in the top end and over worked batteries was the problem. Did develop a small fuel leak at the #6 injector line from a bleed atempt but ill take care of that in the morning....or right now, ok ill do it in the dark. Thanks for the help ill be attending the first day of school in my new truck.

MarcusOReallyus

Reason why changing over to an electric fuel pumps makes more sense. Less time cranking to bleed out the system where an electric pump does it all without killing the starter.

Yep. Could have had that done and been fired up in less time than you spent messing with it, and a lot less hair-pulling.

Glad you got it going! Have fun with welding school!

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pull the glow plugs whenever I do major fuel repairs on the CUCV's. Its a lot easier on the batteries and it spins over faster. It also helps to unplug the wire from the IP while bleeding the filter, less air makes it to the high pressure side that way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks