• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fixed my shifter problem... now the hub is the issue!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
To those of you who weren't at the Rally, here's some background. I was tooling around in the Mog in a big buddy field and decided to put it in 2wd to see if it would do a donut. It didn't really... But, when I went to put it back in 4wd, it wouldn't budge. Finally, after jiggling it a bunch, it went into 4wd, but wouldn't go all the way into 4wd/diff lock. I thought maybe the linkage got bent or it was something internal. We took it to the carwash when we got home and hosed everything off. It wa still a real PITA to get into 4wd and would not go into 4wd/DL. I asked around on the Mog Mailing List and everyone said check the spring-loaded ball on the shift lever detent. It turns out that it is on the outside of the tranny and it can get dirty and rusty. I found it, cleaned it, and sprayed a butt-load of oil on it. After some more jiggling, it finally eased up and started shifting smooth again. Next time I go off-road, I'll be sure to grease the crap out of it first.

Now for the bad news, my left front gear-reduction hub is shot. When I jacked the truck up before we went to the rally to adjust the brakes, I found the hub to be loose, pretty darn loose. Well, it was 2 days before the rally and it's not like I could just go to NAPA and buy new bearings and seals, so I just drove on it at the rally. It spewed a little oil, but held together OK. Now, before I take any more road trips, it must be fixed. Evidently it takes special tools and very large torque-mutilplying ratchets to disassemble the hub. Most folks buy a NOS hub and just bolt it up or buy a whole new front end and keep the other for parts. Either way, the rally broke me so I won't be doing either for a while. So much for using it as my daily-driver, ha!! More updates later. I really need to update the Mog Gallery on the main site with all of my most recent project photos.

Mogger

man when one of those snaps you are in a world of pain. it will rip its self in half and the whole thing, wheel included, just flops over and you hear yout axle smash into the ground. not cool. i am glad it all worked ok for you.

now

WHERE ARE THE PICS?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks