• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fl Title & Tag Trouble

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My personal thought is, "Go to Oprah"...

Politically correct, "We're working on that now sir. It should be implemented right after the Submarine and Train forums."

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cavetech: I'm glad you posted the phone numbers of the people you spoke to. I'm sure that may help someone in the future.
Kenny: Thanks for posting a link to the statute. I've used form 83045 to buy three plates - one permanent antique plate for my MUTT (sold it), a permanent antique plate for my M1009, and a permanent Horseless Carriage plate for my 1930 Model A. I never had a problem ordering any of them. As a matter of fact, I must've overpaid for the Horseless Carriage plate because I received a $5 and change refund check from the FLHSMV. In each case, I went to the local DMV office and either bought license plates for the vehicles or transferred existing plates from vehicles. I took the permanent antique plate from the MUTT and transferred it to the Model A. The clerk changed the plate from 'permanent antique' status to 'antique' with yearly renewal. I sent the completed form 83045 to Tallahassee with a copy of the registration. It cost me a bit more to do it this way, but I really wanted to drive my A. I didn't want to wait 4-6 weeks for the plate to arrive in the mail. When it did arrive, I simply swapped plates and let the registration expire on the antique plate.

Local DMV offices cannot issue the permanent antique plate for military vehicles or horseless carriages. You MUST send the completed form 83045 with payment and the registration form to the address listed on the bottom of the form. To ensure delivery, I always mail the form via USPS Certified. I included copies of the registration each time I applied for the plates.

I attached the link to the form, rather than attaching the form, because the FLHSMV revises it. It was revised in May 2016.

www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/btr/83045.pdf

cavetech

I posted a link to 320.086. Nowhere does it state what you are saying. Show me in Florida Statutes where it says that and I'll donate $100 to your favorite charity. The statute reads nothing of the such.
I have only posted exactly what DMV in Tallahassee told me. It should come as no surprise that individuals in a position of authority often interpret statutes to suit their beliefs. To fight them is expensive.

cavetech

My Conclusion

Today I went to my local DMV to see the agent I was told would help me.

When I got there she said she didn't know what to do. She was told to issue my title and tag, but she still could not access anything to do with FMV.

I said since you were told to issue them, it would be OK with me to just get a title and an annual renewable tag. So that is what she did. I have a regular title and an annual registration and a vanity tag of M1078.

What was impossible yesterday was possible today. I only threatened to call the Governor once and it worked.

I hope this doesn't happen to others.

That's the end of my DMV ordeal.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an unfair advantage when I go (or used to) to the tag office. I had great knowledge of the statute, access to a database where I could document other registrations if they denied mine and the history of dozens of previous registrations. I don't doubt that they fed you a line of dung. Talk about the deer in the headlights look, try doing anything out of the norm at a local office. I did enjoy the tags that never expired but I was always ready if any LEO brought up the restrictions of the statute. Everywhere I go I had my trucks on public display. Now I'm in GA and just went with a regular tag, $20 a year and no restrictions. FL can be a crapshoot but cooler heads will prevail. I'm glad you got your tag issues squared away.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks