• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FL to MI

seamaximus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting ready to start what will HOPEFULLY be a great adventure with my big brother. As the Navy has decided it's time again for a move I'll be driving my '71 M35A2 and M105 from Jacksonville FL to Central MI. I've learned a lot and enjoyed reading about other roadtrip adventures on SS so decided I should share mine as well.

Plan is to push out early wednesday morning the 18th, I-10 to I-75, Tifton direct to Montgomery AL to pick up I-65. I'll run I-65 to Indy then take I-69 the rest of the way. Distance is a little bit longer, but keeps me clear of the mountains!

I'll try and update and send pics via iphone along the route and pass along anything I can learn that might help someone else. Gouge is always appreciated from those who have gone before!!

Hat's off to flyusn99 for getting me started on an awesome new hobby, wsucougarx for the Behr paint mix, and Delta Team Decals for doing up the NCW emblem, it turned out great!

flyusn99

Yup, he's a small-boy rotor-head. He's my first in-advertent OD Green convert.
His truck is in top notch shape, Uncle Sugar put in a new engine and exhaust in it before surplusing it out and Curt has done a bunch of work on it. He converted it to a Hard Top and repainted the whole truck finishing it off by putting fantastic custom US Navy Coastal Warfare decals from Davidallenracing on it.
If any of you SS types could keep an eye out for him and honk as he goes by it would be appreciated. He doesn't want to be a bother to anyone but since this is his first long-haul trip with the Deuce anyone who would be willing to help out if he gets in a jam would also be exceedingly appreciated.
My first long trip had a brief mechanical issue which was only brief due to the hard work and exra-ordinary helpfulness and compassion of BulldogMack and his friend Rob in NC, without which I would have been stranded in the middle of a blizzard (literally). To anyone out there along the way willing to continue on with the kindness and generosity that make this hobby great, my heart felt thank you, you're what makes this hobby so enjoyable.
To Curt, my phone is always on brother, good luck on the trip, any way it turns out you'll remember it....

James

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know Jellico is the only real tough mountains along 75. I did it in 2003 in a deuce with another deuce piggy backed on the back.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know Jellico is the only real tough mountains along 75. I did it in 2003 in a deuce with another deuce piggy backed on the back.

Kenny is correct. You still hit some big stuff on I65 but Jellico is just a one shot deal.

But have a good trip.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where in central Michigan?

I'd extend an offer to assist if needed but i'll be in Northeast Michigan at the time of your "adventure".

seamaximus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where in central Michigan?

I'd extend an offer to assist if needed but i'll be in Northeast Michigan at the time of your "adventure".
Appreciate the offer! Headed to the little town of Lyons, about halfway between Lansing and GR. Going to leave the truck there with my family for the time being since I won't have room for it at my next duty station.

camp9

When we had trucks over the road, my drivers use to go right through Atlanta if they hit it after midnight and before 4am in the morning, otherwise it was go around.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Commercial trucks have to go around at all times now. If traffic on the beltway was messed up, I would usually sneak thru town anyway. In a deuce, I personally wouldn't do it during rush hours, too much stop and go.

phil2968

We went though Atlanta on the way up last year in a M109 with no troubles. On the way back towing a M109 with a M109 and weighing 32,000 Lbs we decided to not to risk it and went around. That was a fun flat tow, right at 875 miles one way.

3dAngus

I've gone through Atlanta at 11PM and it was like getting sucked into a big sewer drain, with a hugh whooshing sound. Cars all around doing anywhere from 65-85 and having to watch for the slow guys, while the fast ones would scare the bezeebees outta ya, seeming like they were coming from outta nowhere.

I DO NOT recommend ever going through Atlanta. Especially between 7AM-9AM and 3:45-8PM. Most other hours are sketchy, but between those hours, it is stop and go, mostly on stop, unless you can catch the HOV lane.

Atlanta traffic sucks. Take the Loop, and it's longer, but you never have to hit the brakes unless theres an accident.

seamaximus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the consensous is if trying Atlanta at all the loop is the best of the bad options. I seem to have 3 choices available...the shortest drive for me means the most mountain driving...add 50 miles to that and I take my chances with Atlanta...add 150 miles and I can skip both. Great discussions, giving me a lot to think about.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are your plans on returning to Fla..? Are you driving or flying..? If your driving I have a set of air ride seats needing a ride back to Oddball in central Fla. I also agree with the consensus about Atlanta.

A piece of advise; Bring a pillow for your azz, makes the ride more doable IMHO.

Last edited:

seamaximus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are your plans on returning to Fla..? Are you driving or flying..? If your driving I have a set of air ride seats needing a ride back to Oddball in central Fla. I also agree with the consensus about Atlanta.

A piece of advise; Bring a pillow for your azz, makes the ride more doable IMHO.
Would love to help out but I'll be flying back. Good gouge about the pillow!:D

seamaximus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
She's all ready for the trip! Adventure starts first thing tomorrow morning. After discussions here I think I'll try taking 75 all the way north. Thx again to everyone for the advice!
Curt
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342568922.242534.jpg