• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flame heater in exhaust pipe

davesgmc

Has anyone tried putting the flame heater in thier exhaust pipe to the flames out the exhaust?

Been contemplating how to do it on my 5 ton with Detroit diesel. Then git this deuce with flame heater. Thinking just install it in exhaust and bam...flames.

Thoughts?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Diesel is WAY different than gas. It won't light like that. Now if you were to install a gas tank, pump and something to atomize the gas at the tailpipe and have a spark plug, you might get flames. But a blown exhaust velocity is a bit different than a carbureted engine exhaust velocity.

davesgmc

Diesel is WAY different than gas. It won't light like that. Now if you were to install a gas tank, pump and something to atomize the gas at the tailpipe and have a spark plug, you might get flames. But a blown exhaust velocity is a bit different than a carbureted engine exhaust velocity.
Well, it makes a flame in the intake, I'm just looking to move it all to the exhaust.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it makes a flame in the intake, I'm just looking to move it all to the exhaust.
Yes, a very yellow, smoky flame, but not when there is running engine air flow, I think propane, like someone said above would work well.

V8srfun

When I had the flame shooter on my car the only fuel I used that worked was gasoline. All other flammable substances would not work at all.

davesgmc

well, 5 inch stack is on, time to take cold srat off and put in in base of the stack,,,for now waiting on new batteries to come in...i hate buying those things!

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do Fords sound like something you would see in a diaper? NOT smooth at all, worse after they are "chipped or tuned".

davesgmc

Sound testing to come later in another thread. It's not welded up yet. Waiting on my v band clap and flanges to show up so I can swap stock vs 5 inch stack. Welders currently broke, waiting on parts, but won't be here til next week after my hand surgery, which will put me down fur a few weeks. This stack will also get bungs welded in fur flame heater and propane to be injected into pipe. Stand by ......

Attachments

davesgmc

Preliminary sound readings wit 5 inch stack.
Used measuring with decibel meter app on phone.

Outside cab at idle 65
1500 rpm outside cab 75
Down road driving on blacktop. Max 80, fifth gear pretty much max speed. Measured in cab.
To give a reference, while driving, air horn was only max on cab at 80.

It sounds good, deep tone. I like it.

davesgmc

well, back on this project. went to take all the intake flame heater stuff off this weekend so I can relocate it in the exhaust, just to see how and if it works, also have plans to inject propane and air up stream from the fittings to give it a bit more flame. dunno how well it'll work, or if it even will.
had to take the manifold elbow off the intake to get the injector out, decided id try to see how and if this makes a flam just sitting there. It didn't work. weird. no fuel to the pump. that's kina strange. line is hooked up, i see a bit of fuel in the line, but nothing. oh wait a sec... lets make sure the in tank pump is working, nope, blown fuse, like i see on about every other deuce I've worked on, been that way for years, stil runs fine. replaced fuse with just a 15 amp regular because all the slow blow fuses i have are 2 amp max, it works. never got to check out the flame out the elbow before it got too dark to work any more. off to store today to get more line and fittings to extend the lines out long enough to reach to the exhaust stack. i think ill plumb it into the stock pipe first just to see how and if it works before i go drilling and welding bungs into the 5 inch stack

anyone know right off hand the thread on the injector? the spark plug one i know is 18mm. the other side seems to be 20 mm 1.5?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks