• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

flame throwing deuce

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, here's one out of far left field..
Does anyone know how to, or has done, a mod that lets you push a button and shoot flames out of the deuce's stack? Something for show.. a bit of monster-truck fun. I was sorta thinking of starting fluid and a spark plug? Never seen this done, but have seen this kind of thing at truck shows. :twisted:

rgregj

I saw an episode of "trick my Truck" last week and their "shop truck " did that. I think they used a propane set up with an igniter. I've seen kits like that on the net for cars, but doing it to a duece would be wicked. I think the propane is plumbed into the exhaust with a momentary switch that intoduces the propane as well as providing a spark

Greg Jackson

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: flame throwing deuce

maddawg308 said:
No need for starting fluid. A switch, some wire and a spark plug will do it. Not street legal, though.
I don't understand, what is burned for the flame? I thought unburnt fuel, but not sure how much is in a diesel exhaust.

I'd like to try the propane route. I guess the only bottles with enough cubic output per second would be the big 'rhino' cans?

I have a nitrous oxide kit I could trade. Or cannibalize for the valves?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: flame throwing deuce

I don't understand, what is burned for the flame?
I suspect unburned fuel.......

MN_DEUCE

RE: Re: RE: flame throwing deuce

I help set one up in a car about ten years ago...we use an ign. coil and sparkplug and ran wiring to the dash for the toggle :grd: switch. for fuel we install a manual choke on the carb. to start flame, pull choke brimg rpms up and then hit the switch

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everything you need is allready there. Just use the flame heater for cold starting. Remove it and plug the hole in the intake. Then weld a fitting with the same threads above the elbow in the exaust. If you put it before the elbow the extra heat will probally burn through at the bend. Then throw the switch and it will spray fuel and burn it in the exaust.I would expect a better result if you mixed some gas in the fuel. Make sure your FDC is working. Don't expect the tip at the top of the exaust to last long. I had to turn my fuel rate back down a bit because i burn through them often.

Crazyguyla

I've heard stories of soldiers in germany cutting diesel with JP4 to go faster on the autobahn. Side effect was flames out of the exaust stack.

Westech

CPL
The JP4 and diesel does cause a flame at the exhaust. As soon as the very hot unburned fuel hits the air, it lights up. I too am starting to burn the tips of my exhaust pipe. I installed the stainless pipes from saturn surplus and they are holding up just fine.. but the steel pipe/tip is a junker.

texas-5-ton

when i had my 71 m35 (non turbo), i put the larger exhaust stack on it and cut out the muffler and ran straight pipe. Shot out about 15" of orange flame at 55 mph. You just couldn't hear anything..lol

rizzo

Re: RE: Re: RE: flame throwing deuce

MN_DEUCE said:
I help set one up in a car about ten years ago...we use an ign. coil and sparkplug and ran wiring to the dash for the toggle :grd: switch. for fuel we install a manual choke on the carb. to start flame, pull choke brimg rpms up and then hit the switch
Luke has the same thing on his 440 deuce, but he has never installed a choke, so we have never seen it work. He has two spark plugs on the stacks and two coils installed.

nitro_rat

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: flame throwing deuce

I do know how the hot rodders do it.

On a gas engine, the flame thrower can use unburned fuel to make the flame. The old school way to do it is a model T coil box and spark plug in each exhaust pipe. To throw flames, you get going down the road, mash in the clutch, floor the gas, and flip a switch to energize the coils at the rear. The shot of gas from the accelerator pump with the ignition off puts a large quantity of unburned fuel in the exhaust. [thumbzup]

The distance of the spark plug from the end of the pipe has a signifigant effect on the length and quality of the flame. 12-14" seems to be the maximum distance from spark plug to exhaust tip. 4-6" gives a bigger, longer flame. 8)

There is also a kit by autoloc that uses some fancy electronic gagetry to eliminate the need for coordination and driving skill nessecary to accomplish the above. You can get it from summit I think.

Obviously it is not possible to do this with a diesel engine as there is no way to cut out the ignition with the engine still turning. :cry:

Although some have done it successfully, propane systems are quite dangerous but it is possible to get flames 6-10' or longer. Blue flames. :twisted:

I take no responsibility for any property damage, injury, or death resultant from the use (or misuse) of the ablve information...experiment at your own risk!!! :beer:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter

so are you going to put chrome wheels and curb feelers on the thing too?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I have mentioned spinners made from old deuce rims (I know who has centers already cut out..).. but only as a joke.

Here is my personal list of forbidden items (with qualification)
NO!

NO chrome, (any chromed items must be painted some kind of OD)

no curb feelers,

no spinners,

no little jiggelty doo-dads, bobble heads, plastic hula girls, gold plastic crown air fresheners in the back window or on that 2" deep dash,

no colorful neon underneath,

no neon license plate holders (where applicable)

no boom stereo
(perhaps a police type PA /siren/air horn system would be nice)
-(especially if connected to an 8-track with country/redneck/deliverance/apocalypse now music)

no dingleballs, weatherproof or not.

no red velvet, blue suede, or other zoot.

no curtains, plain, frilly, hearse, or otherwise

no conchos, special edition badges, chandeliers on the fenders (ala prince of new york's caddilac)

no fuzzy dice (someone did do that.. oh well), CDROMs, or dollar sign air fresheners hanging in cab. I LIKE the smell.
(MV drivers lean in toward the midle of the vehicle becaise they like the smell, not because they think the smell is coming from outside)

no yellow/brown, black/pink, lime green/pink, metallic etc.. paint color schemes

no strobes that pulsate to the music
(red/amber/blue convoy or warning strobes OK where permitted by law)
(Been wanting to put a smallish amber strobe under bed in back so people can tell I am going slow, I recall someone getting rearended by a semi truck..)

no blazer axles

--All the "NO" items are punk. Blowing fire out the stack, on the other hand, is dangerous manly fun.
Taking it inthe best of humor/humour, I have already added alot of unauthorized stuff:
antennas

lockout hubs

air-o-matic (to be installed)

nonmilitary air conditioning, 2-way radios, microwave and TV set in the shelter

fixing to mount a genset under the bed, eschewing the tool rack and spare tire

GPS

pyrometer

boost guage (to be installed)

Bjorn's flame detector

Mr Gasket shift boots

VIC-4 intercom

24/12 volt system, switches, lamps in dash

in-cab military gooseneck work lamps

11.00x20 tires

18-wheeler radials in front

deadbolt lock in door

large black plastic skull shift knob
(not decided, but the fingers fit into the eye sockets well for shifting if skull faces forward, and otherwise it fits the hand well if the skull faces the rear. Radioactive glass marbles could be epoxied in the eye sockets possibly. You guys say- is the skull too punk? gaudy? hood ornament? evil? Does anyone want one? they are made of apparently grindable/machinable resin. I don't remember where they came from, I think someone asked me if I wanted a bag of skulls one night and I said OK)

So the point is, it's already non-stock, but I am trying to keep the appearance as military as I can despite the 'field modifications', even though purists may be offended. If it were a rare power wagon or jeep or bantam trailer, I would not do any such mods. But indeed it is my monstrous and happy project, from which I derive much pleasure and satisfaction. The truck also has to do some work for me and in return for the work and for putting up with all of this, it gets loving care. I'm not getting any younger and I think I'm entitled to make tasteful modifications and reasonable upgrades. Not going to ruin the truck after all.

Attachments

Hoosier

So, does that mean my hand grenade shift knob and beer tab chains in the cab can stay?

mcmullag

Opcom, great list of "do nots".
Hoosier, thanks for reminding me of beer tab chains. I had forgot all about those.

I once saw a very nicely executed mural of Christ and the 12 Apostles at the last supper, done on a tailgate of a maroon lowride chevy pickup in the parking lot of Pepboys. Such a scene may fit the tailgate of a deuce.

When I attended the "Lead East" car show in Parsippany, New Jersey (every Labor Day weekend and a must see) they had some old lead sleds that did the flame thrower trick as a competition every evening. One guy had 2 old automotive paint spray guns mounted to the rear bumper just above the exhaust pipes. He pumped gasoline as the liquid (paint part) and propane as the pressurization (air part). He could adjust the fan of the spray guns for large fan (fireball) or no fan (long stream that went about 20 feet behind the car).
One hell of a fireball out the back let me tell you. Won the competition hands down and I got pictures buried somewhere and even a VHS tape buried somewhere even deeper.

devilman96

Well... To late.. mine goes boom... *grinz*... but Metallica (pre Black) doesn't boom much!

My list of mods done... to do... and beign considered...

Done...

Bobbed
Singled
Painted a Modified OD
all accessories powder coated black
Frame & chassis bed liner coated
Cab sealed
12V
AC / Heat
Carpet
Power leather seats
Custom dash
Tilt wheel
Power Steering
Dual tanks, gauges
Keyed engine run / stop
Sealed windshield
Power windows
Power door locks (remote)
Shaved door handles
1800 Watt stereo system with... 10 disk changer (MP3), XM satellite, remote control
LED lights - dome, gauge and glove box
EGT
Custom shifter
Passenger grab bar
Interior door panels
Arm rest(s)
Electric fans (3 - 10")
Spin on fuel filters
Electric windshield wipers
10 gauge, hand fabbed hard top
Bushed hood and door hinges (no squeaking, no rattling)
4X4 and forwarding converted to electric solenoids / switching / indicators
Forward ACL lighting (replacing black out lights)
Rear sliding window
12V trailer converter
Rear fuel port from 2nd tank (for tow behind gen set)
20 other things im forgetting...

Yes I need a life...

To do...

Over head console
Center console
2 way
Strobes (wiring done)
110V inverter
Front bumper storage boxes (w/ wench truck)
Under bead storage box (sliding rear ward from frame)
Storage boxes between cab and bed (16"W X 36"T X width of bed)
Hitch
10 gal water tank & pump
395's
Electronic cruse control
Remote oil filter
A3 black out light
15 other things I have on the drawing board I cant remember... Gimme 2 more months!

Things being debated on... (and will prolly happen cause im we todd did)

Slant back HMMV type bed cover
Propane Injection
Fog kit (smoke)
Flame kit...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Devilman, you forgot the cupholder.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: flame throwing deuce

Hoosier said:
So, does that mean my hand grenade shift knob and beer tab chains in the cab can stay?
Oh Yeah! it's your truck! Got pictures of these items?

Devilman, your case is just 'special'.. you know those CXT owners will be jealous!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks