• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flasher Problem

Lex_Ordo

As the title states, I have a flasher problem. Let me explain what I have...

I replaced my front markers, b/out headlight, and rear taillights with Grote LEDs, about 18 months ago. I have had no issues with them, they work great and are nice and bright.

Recently (like within the last month or so), I noticed that when I activate the flasher control on the steering column, it takes quite a long time before I start to get a flash. I do get one, however Just not right away.

I was told by Grote, that there was an issue when the LEDs were first released that effected the flasher due to a low voltage problem. This came from the fact that the LEDs draw such a low current and cause the flasher unit not to get enough of an electrical signal to make it function properly.

This was remedied by Grote with the addition of a resister in the light unit that created more of a load, and gave the flasher the current it needed to operate.

The two front marker lights have this resister installed at the factory as a HMMWV retrofit kit. The rears do not, and do not need them according to Grote. They state that there is enough load in one resister to run the entire truck. Well I have two, and some even have Four, if all the lights are changed to the retrofit kit.

This appears to not be the issue, because as stated, I do get a uniform flash. I just have to wait a minute or two before it starts.

I checked grounds thinking this was the problem, the 3 lever light switch control, the flasher control, and even replaced the wire and plug connected to the flasher unit. No issues. ???

It still takes an extended bit of time to activate the signal once the lever is moved into position. Now, when I shut off the signal, it will work again if I reactivate it, but if I let it sit for a spell, like a few minutes tops...When I move the signal control, it takes some time to get a flash. Sort of like the system is charging to get enough amps to trigger the flasher unit itself.

The last thing I am thinking it could be is the flasher control itself.
Does this sound right? Can any of you guys with Electrical knowledge make sense of this?

The unit in my truck is one made by Nartron, and I do have an identical spare. I enclosed a pic.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Is that the one thats real skinny and has the heat sink on the top? I have not had much luck with those. Another thought, aren't these boxes solid-state? Shouldn't need to worry about needing high enough current to make it flash. I would try a different style flasher unit. .02

MO MV man

That delay you're experiencing is the exact same problem I had recently.

I replaced my flasher box and VOILA! Fixed.

Got mine at Erik's at an awesome price. Easy fix.

Lex_Ordo

Thanks fro the replys fellsa. I think it is the flasher unit too.

The nice thing about the military vehicles, unlike commercially made brand cars, is they're relatively easy to fix and work on. Heck, My '10 JK wrangler needs to go and get plugged into all kinds of computer diagnostic equipment to figure out the most mundane item. I bought it because I thought it was the most simple in its design than anything else out there, but the Power & Body control modules make them so complicated to workl on.

GimpyRob, do you think I should not use the GI Natron flasher then? This is what I have in the truck now, and my fairly new take off spare I picked up.
MO MV Man, waht does yours look like?

Seems that the only other ones around are the Repro ones made by New Star.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks