• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

flat battery? new to this

the skull

Well at least if you've had old British cars you should
be familiar with swapping out electrical components
[thumbzup]

Oops guess I waited too long to post THAT

Last edited:

LadyLuck

Well I'm really enjoying this steep learning curve! This is want I wanted...to get my teeth stuck into something juicy!!!
And juicy it is!!

I will start with the manuals and get reading.

I'll post some pics of the dashboard later on as I've got to go out now.

Also, answers raise more questions so I'll have to come back and go through these messages again and take notes/ask questions later...have a good day everyone :)

LadyLuck

Hi again,

Here's an update for those who are interested...sorry it's been a while!
I'll see if I can add some pics of the dash and engine in a bit.
Both batteries were flat. One needed replacing but when they were back in the truck she started up good with the help of an aerosol.
She's now getting a service at a local garage but the thing is we need some parts...an oil filter and an air filter. Is the Chevy K30 same parts? or does anyone know what parts can be used. It's extra difficult here in England to find this stuff!
Obviously there's eBay but it's £££.
Anyway it was great to drive the truck again and trying not to bash parked cars and oncoming traffic on our cluttered, tiny London streets, and of course being on the 'wrong' side of the truck doesn't help either lol!!

Attachments

Sephirothq

with those lights one it leads me to believe your alternators might not be charging correctly. what does the voltage gauge show when it is running?

Assel

welcome from South Germany! Are those "idiot lights" staying on when the Engine is running? they should fade withing 5 seconds or so... if they stay on your System is not charged properly.

and: dont use starting aid fluid (ether) ... dont ask, just dont do it! Worst Case is a blown up engine ...and btw your light switches are not Stock anymore..someone fooled around with that...

and its not the wrong side..gosh I was confused when I left the ferry ...and I did not sleep for like 20 hours ...and then driving on the left side...uhh ..but I got it really fast..

Chevy K30 should be mostly the same parts (except for the 24v parts, like starter etc.)

LadyLuck

welcome from South Germany! Are those "idiot lights" staying on when the Engine is running? they should fade withing 5 seconds or so... if they stay on your System is not charged properly.

and: dont use starting aid fluid (ether) ... dont ask, just dont do it! Worst Case is a blown up engine ...and btw your light switches are not Stock anymore..someone fooled around with that...

and its not the wrong side..gosh I was confused when I left the ferry ...and I did not sleep for like 20 hours ...and then driving on the left side...uhh ..but I got it really fast..

Chevy K30 should be mostly the same parts (except for the 24v parts, like starter etc.)
Thank you for your reply.
I'm interested to know where you get your parts from? There must be places in the UK (that I haven't found yet, but still looking) but even Germany would be cheaper than shipping them in from the US.
As for the left side driving, I'm getting there... ha! My road position needs a bit of work. It's very busy and crowded with loads of cars parked on every road where I live. Good practice I guess!

MarcusOReallyus

It's all being checked out as we speak, hopefully it's all good.

Be careful - there are some differences and if they don't understand them, well, bad things can happen.

You can download all the TMs (Technical Manuals) for free from this site. They are in PDF format, so you could download them and share them with your shop.

jpg

We found out that if the toggle switch is left in the "service lights" position when not running it draws about 200 milliamps. The toggle switch needs to be in the"all off" position when parked. This will drain your battery in a couple of days.

Assel

We found out that if the toggle switch is left in the "service lights" position when not running it draws about 200 milliamps. The toggle switch needs to be in the"all off" position when parked. This will drain your battery in a couple of days.
does this only appear for M1008 CUCV´s ? I had my M1009 parked for about 2-3 months sometimes...w.o. disconnected batteries, and when wait light goes out she fired right up...sometimes even in the first crank o_O ..and I never touched that light switch :p

and for the thread starter: I do usually order parts in the U.S. and make a huge package...saves shipping costs.. Engine Oil, Transmission-Fluid etc. I buy here of course... but you wont get filters/gaskets/small stuff cheaper than from the U.S. ...only things I bought here in germany were : Front brake discs..would save like 50$ for shipping...and a thermostat+ housing gasket, needed that quick..

if I ever need some things like doors and that..I would look over here ..shipping such big things is extremely expensive

cucvrus

I have never turned the sevice light switch to all off for years. That is 20 + years on any of my vehicles. I see no point in it. That is not an issue that I am aware of. And I am glad it is not.

MarcusOReallyus

does this only appear for M1008 CUCV´s ? I had my M1009 parked for about 2-3 months sometimes...w.o. disconnected batteries, and when wait light goes out she fired right up...sometimes even in the first crank o_O ..and I never touched that light switch

:confused:

I think this indicates a fault somewhere. Even if the switch is in the BO setting, there shouldn't be any current draw if the BO lights are off.

jpg

:confused:I think this indicates a fault somewhere. Even if the switch is in the BO setting, there shouldn't be any current draw if the BO lights are off.
This happens on soon-to-be-my M1010. If anyone has suggestions on figuring this one out, I'd welcome any guidance. I'm new to these vehicles. This will be my first foray into the world of the stock M1010 electrical system. The only mods have been to remove the resistors from the wiper circuit so the wipers will go faster, and to install a current glow plug controller.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
with all those switches it looks like a British rally car /truck, take it back to stock , life is easier that way , the TM's mean something then,

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do the Doghead mod as soon as possible to avoid having a starter run on. You can find the instructions in the CUCV sticky section of the forum.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1010 does the same thing. The M1008 and M1009 do not

LadyLuck

Thanks again everyone. It's all good stuff.
It's great to have this lifeline because I am completely clueless...that's what I've learnt so far!
I got a new battery and she's starting 2nd time now...seems to be the way she rolls. So far so good.
Trouble is I need a belt and filters. The belt's about to go so can't drive out anywhere in case it pings on the road and I'll get stuck!!
The problem I'm having is finding parts at a reasonable cost and also what do other people do about chassis/VIN number in relation to parts buying? or what model do you look for because M1008 rarely is on any parts websites but ok on ebay, just not a huge choice. :confused:
It's been a full time job just finding stuff...at one point I had 2 laptops on the go, my iphone and pad and pen. Had to stop for a tea break! Was at it for hours!
I'm grateful for all your replies and advice.
Cheers!
:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks