• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flat Tire on Deuce

RGummere

:pI drove to Mom and Dad's Friday evening so Dad and I could drive one of the Deuces to the IMVPA meeting at the Ropkey Armor Museum. Dad and I had done some spot painting and the usual pre-trip PMCS when we discovered we had a flat on the left rear outboard tire. We checked the TM and armed with the proper tools and knowledge, we performed our first tire change on an M35A2. The only drama that occurred was when we were ready to lower the spare tire. I have the lug wrench mere inches from the fitting when Dad lifts the pawl up releasing the spare tire. Well, the cable unwound, I stepped back and the spare was sitting there on the driveway. I look up at Dad and said " That's not the right way to do that, Dad." He looks at me and said " I guess not. Oops!" Well, we still have all our fingers and toes, and the only thing hurt is our pride and the install went well. Needless to say, it was a great learning experience and it was an enjoyable drive to and from the meeting.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys need to query Carnac on dropping the spare quickly. He has quite a story if he will tell it. Did you use a jack or just drive that inner tire up on some wood?

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having the lug wrench and T bar connected when the winch unwinds out of control can be worse!

Glad you guys are OK and are participating in a worthwhile hobby together.

Rick

jasonjc

After dropinh a deuce spare on MY leg:oops: I can tell you it's better to stand back and let it drop. Winch up but let it fall down.

On a side note for safety one of my trucks came with the latch paw safety wired in the lock position.

Last edited:

RGummere

We jacked it up and used a 2x6 board to line the spare up with the hub. Yeah, I'm glad we didn't suffer any injuries.
So far the only damage we have suffered has been dirt and grease stains-no blood!

kastein

changing the tire on these things brings the suck... especially alone. Blew one of my 11.00x20s (but I found the steel pipe marking the boundary between my neighbor's lot and mine while pulling a tree for him!) and got to change it out!

They are heavy, I don't have a spare winch on my truck and the spare stays in the bed so I used a pair of 2x6s as slides and hauled it up the tailgate with an old 2" wide ratchet strap.

Can't wait till I get to do this with a 395/85r20 :shock:

A

A/C Cages

One good thing about dropping it like that is you will always remember to never do it that way again!!!

chicklin

Haha....great timing on this thread. I just dropped one on my leg last night, driving my knee into the concrete. Ouch.

Crazy thing was, I made sure the pawl was locked and then spun the tire to free it from the bracket with the intention of then slowly letting it down. I guess when I spun the tire it caused enough vibration to loosen up the pawl again and down it came. SURPRISE!

AceHigh

changing the tire on these things brings the suck... especially alone. Blew one of my 11.00x20s (but I found the steel pipe marking the boundary between my neighbor's lot and mine while pulling a tree for him!) and got to change it out!

They are heavy, I don't have a spare winch on my truck and the spare stays in the bed so I used a pair of 2x6s as slides and hauled it up the tailgate with an old 2" wide ratchet strap.

Can't wait till I get to do this with a 395/85r20 :shock:
Try the M35A3. In addition to the heavier tire, you have to index the valve stem properly. A big extra step. Then put on the sir plumbing. :)

RGummere

Luckily Dad and I have been able to work on our trucks at the house and not out on the road somewhere. I've found that read the manual, reread the manual, have Dad read the manual and make sure we're both on the same wavelength, then go out and work on the truck. Usually with me staying clear of Dad hehehehehehe.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dropping the spare tire on a deuce is extremely dangerous. Another thing to watch out for is the pawl skipping out. Never, never, never assume that the pawl is holding the wheel! It is not that difficult to unwind the crank safety. Do it slowly. Also, when cranking back up make sure the cables are winding separately, nice and neat and not just wadding up on top of each other. I always get help cranking up a spare if possible. Once cranked up, have someone start the two nuts to hold the wheel up before letting go of the crank. I always replace the tube when repairing a flat on a deuce. The cost of the tube is relatively low, while the labor is a real pain. Most of the tubes on deuces are many years old. Best of all, pay someone else $25.00 or so to mount/dismount and change out the tube. That's what I've done the last two times.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You guys look like you are having fun. I love playing with the Army trucks with my Dad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks