• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flat tire??

escher

I went out to the garage after work to grab something and one of my brand new tires on my m101-a1 was flat!

Being a lock-ring style - this distressed me greatly!!

Well - I did a not so smart move, and got away with it... I used a bicycle pump and hid around the side of the trailer and just put enough air in to get the tire back into round and the trailer up off the ground... about 10-15lb.. no issues..

Funny thing is - its been perfect for about 3 weeks - and a 500 mile trip. and then flat all of the sudden... it has been sitting either in the garage or driveway for about 2 weeks... I wonder if its a slow leak..

Ideas?

I probably need to take it to the tire shop and have it checked I assume...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I went out to the garage after work to grab something and one of my brand new tires on my m101-a1 was flat!

Being a lock-ring style - this distressed me greatly!!

Well - I did a not so smart move, and got away with it... I used a bicycle pump and hid around the side of the trailer and just put enough air in to get the tire back into round and the trailer up off the ground... about 10-15lb.. no issues..

Funny thing is - its been perfect for about 3 weeks - and a 500 mile trip. and then flat all of the sudden... it has been sitting either in the garage or driveway for about 2 weeks... I wonder if its a slow leak..

Ideas?

I probably need to take it to the tire shop and have it checked I assume.[/QUOTE]

It is AMAZING, some people on SITE really do come up with a good idea every now and then, renews my faith in my SITE bretheren.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

It is AMAZING, some people on SITE really do come up with a good idea every now and then, renews my faith in my SITE bretheren.
Or, A fine example of stating the obvious!. (We used to tell new squadies, well, It's only flat at the bottom...just turn it round a bit!.

Last edited:

escher

Ok.. ok... I get it... Problem is - its $70 or more to get it checked... hence my question - i.e. I wanted to see if things like valve stems or the like may tend to go bad on these.

I find in most of my hobbies - there tend to be certain gotcha's that aren't readily obvious... thats why I asked.

I did check and no nails, etc in the tire.

Its going to have to wait for now as the hobby fund is depleted...

tommys2patrick

you might try a truck tire place like at a truck stop. some of the regular tire stores will be scared off when they find out what kind of rim it is. as it has a tube it should be able to be repaired rather than having to buy a new tire. my two cents

escher

you might try a truck tire place like at a truck stop. some of the regular tire stores will be scared off when they find out what kind of rim it is. as it has a tube it should be able to be repaired rather than having to buy a new tire. my two cents
Yep - I used a local Semi-Shop when I got the tires / tubes/flaps installed... thats who I'll end up taking it back to. Most likely I'll pick up another tube and flap..

tommys2patrick

there are some threads on here and u tube vids that go over how to safely remove the tube from one of these rims. you might consider that as an option for a learning experience. that is one of the good things about a tube type tire. that fact that they can be repaired.

tommys2patrick

another thought is that the valve stem on the tube can get pinched and might move around as pressure changes with heat in the tire etc etc. so a careful process of "building" the tire tube combo as its assembled will have an impact on how well the assembly holds up. So yes your correct, the valve stem may be an issue. the core in the valve stem may need to be replaced. the old method of filling a tub with water and inserting the partly inflated tube in it might help--bubbles equal a bad spot.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ziggy has some tubless rims for the m101/m37s, might shoot him a pm and see what he is asking for them.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As has already been stated, check the core. Then get you a bottle of soapy water, squirt it all over the tire, and look for bubbles.

One thing to remember if you do the repair yourself, put a mark on the tire where the valve stem is. That way when you get the tube out and find the hole, you can orient the tube to the mark on the tire so you can make sure there's not something still sticking in the tire. Nothing is worse that repairing a tube, only having it go flat again because there is still something sticking in the tire.

Carlo

Ok.. ok... I get it... Problem is - its $70 or more to get it checked... hence my question - i.e. I wanted to see if things like valve stems or the like may tend to go bad on these.

I find in most of my hobbies - there tend to be certain gotcha's that aren't readily obvious... thats why I asked.

I did check and no nails, etc in the tire.

Its going to have to wait for now as the hobby fund is depleted...
It costs 70$ in the USA to fix a flat tire?? Wow! We pay €25,00 to get a patch on an tubeless tire and I thought this was bad. Make some soapy water in spray bottle and spray the bead ( after you re inflate if) and other areas to see if there are bubbles.

rustystud

As has already been stated, check the core. Then get you a bottle of soapy water, squirt it all over the tire, and look for bubbles.

One thing to remember if you do the repair yourself, put a mark on the tire where the valve stem is. That way when you get the tube out and find the hole, you can orient the tube to the mark on the tire so you can make sure there's not something still sticking in the tire. Nothing is worse that repairing a tube, only having it go flat again because there is still something sticking in the tire.
You are so right ! When I was taught to repair tires we would find the original hole and using a tire buffer clean up the inside of the tire and then put a tire patch on it. Then we would fix the inner tube.
This way you wouldn't get a stray wire from the tire putting a new hole in the tube.

tommys2patrick

I was by my local CO-OP farm supply place and they will tear down and find/fix a flat in a split ring tube type rim for $35.00. More if the tire/tube is severely damaged requiring new parts. A lot of tractors still use split ring/split rims so they are pretty used to working on them. If you have a tractor place nearby, you might give them a call.

KaiserM109

Ziggy has some tubless rims for the m101/m37s, might shoot him a pm and see what he is asking for them.
This is where I'd spend my $$. Split rims are dangerous, which is why the US DOT outlawed the manufacture of them for civilian use in 1976. Today only tire shops with cages will touch them.

Frequently with tubes, the tube didn't get expanded correctly before it was aired up and it got a wrinkle folded in. Eventually the tight pinch will cause a leak.

A long, long time ago when I had to change a tire on an M37, the motor pool sergeant had me put the tube and flap in the tire and inflate it A LITTLE to get the wrinkles out of it, then deflate it enough to put the ring on.

Unless you're trying to keep your trailer original, go the tubless route, its cheaper and safer.

rustystud

This is where I'd spend my $$. Split rims are dangerous, which is why the US DOT outlawed the manufacture of them for civilian use in 1976. Today only tire shops with cages will touch them.

Frequently with tubes, the tube didn't get expanded correctly before it was aired up and it got a wrinkle folded in. Eventually the tight pinch will cause a leak.

A long, long time ago when I had to change a tire on an M37, the motor pool sergeant had me put the tube and flap in the tire and inflate it A LITTLE to get the wrinkles out of it, then deflate it enough to put the ring on.

Unless you're trying to keep your trailer original, go the tubless route, its cheaper and safer.

Yes, inflating them slightly is the first part of it. You also need to add some Talcum powder (baby powder) to the inner tube to allow it to slide inside the tire.

oddave715

Spraying the tire with soapy water is not going to find the tune leak. The air coming out of the tube is only going to find the path of least resistance. It might help find a hole in your tire but the air can come out at the valve stem and the wheel at the lock ring. To find the leak in the tube you will need to pull the tube out and submerse it in a tank or spray it with soapy water.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks