• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

flat tow HMMWV

Milkman357

I have a class A cdl, Drove flat bed for awhile and have flat towed M-1009 with my Suburban. 70mph.. the M-1009 follows right behind...smooth.
I don't think flat towing the Humvee is a good idea, unless its just 20 miles to get it home. I'm going to use a trailer. Thanks for all the great post and good ideas.

Augi

Just a correction for earlier in the thread: The 242 transfer case does have a rudimentary pump in it. When you put the case halves back together you have to make sure the slots on the drive wheel thing index properly on the shaft or you'll bend it.

Augi

linhster

Uhaul trailer is doable but very tight clearances. Humvee is wider than the trailer. I had to disconnect the wheel cover to load the vehicle (you might want to deflate the front tire a bit). The tires are too big for the regular front strap. You will need the larger version or bring long straps of your own. I also used chocked blocks behind the front tires to prevent rolling. I tried down the back two loops to the trailer frame angling forward. Hope that help.

IMG_7461.jpgIMG_7463.jpg

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uhaul trailer is doable but very tight clearances. Humvee is wider than the trailer. I had to disconnect the wheel cover to load the vehicle (you might want to deflate the front tire a bit). The tires are too big for the regular front strap. You will need the larger version or bring long straps of your own. I also used chocked blocks behind the front tires to prevent rolling. I tried down the back two loops to the trailer frame angling forward. Hope that help.

View attachment 629700View attachment 629701
U haul has 3 different car carriers. The newest one has fenders and one side folds away. There are slightly wider. The tire straps do not work around the tire but we went around the control arm and used additional chains to the loops and also large ratchet straps. I found out about the different models when I reserved mine to pick up the "jeep". The guy asked me if it had mud tires and I said Yes. He then said I will give you the newest one which is the widest. Tight squeeze with the tires but it worked. :)

NV555

View attachment 629700View attachment 629701
Holy Smokes CHP would be on that in a heart beat! Good job though back roads a must no way on the interstate!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks