• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flathead fever..

citizensoldier

Over the years of doing kitchen remodels my collection of tear outs grew.. Why not put them in the shop??:-D What good is a shop without cold beer, popcorn, and a Hungry Man TV dinner at your finger tips?? :wink: It started out as a wood shop but then OD fever hit.. Wood? What wood? I like iron!

Alex400

Over the years of doing kitchen remodels my collection of tear outs grew.. Why not put them in the shop??:-D What good is a shop without cold beer, popcorn, and a Hungry Man TV dinner at your finger tips?? :wink: It started out as a wood shop but then OD fever hit.. Wood? What wood? I like iron!
very nice. Yeah that would be nice in a shop. Tons of storage.

54reo

You have any pictures of the whole motor? Is that the straight 8 they made? Would like more info on this.
I'll have to get a shot of the engine the next time I'm back at home. I can't believe that I don't have a better engine pic.

This engine (IND 15A) is a flathead six, and the smallest in this particular family (377 CID). They were available up into the 450 CID range (I'll have to go look in my books for the exact specs). Chrysler made some interesting engines. Mine is a single two barrel model, but a dual carb intake was offered. I have some pics from the original manual at home that show the cool dual 2 barrel set-up. It took me a long time to locate the original manual, as the smaller sixes (i.e. yours) are MUCH more common.

I do have a 325 CID straight eight Chrysler in the shop from a 1941 Chrysler, but I have special plans for that one...

And, yes, I am a Mopar nut....

M-37

when I has my 1st. M-37 . I drove a Yale forklift that had a 230 cid in it. I kept asking a machiinic I knew at work if thay had a junk forklift around that I could take the Distribor out of. He gave me a NEW ONE in the box. He also gave mr a Repair Man. That has the part numbers in it.

offroaddiesel

The dump box looks interesting too.... Maine is a bit to far for me to add it to my fold.. :-D
itsa interesting truck for sure, not sure if i like it or hate it ,so its just sitting out back waiting for me to do something,the dump will be useful arounf here. and thanks for leaving the trucks in maine lol.also very nice pics its always a pleasure to see your pics,thanks steve from western maine and ather flathead from maine

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1955 Yale G51 forklift, it has a chrysler flathead six in it , it runs on propane, and runs smooth as silk. I geuss, if I ever replace it, I'd better save the engine for an M37.;-)

citizensoldier

Very nice guys! I would save all you can if you find them. Many good motors met there scrapper fate last year. They will never make them again so save them or give them to me. If you have one that will be sitting for some time I would fill it with trans fluid or oil to make the tear down easier. They sure like to seize up in the valve train making for a pain to tear down.
If someone could start casting 237,251,265 intake and exhaust manifolds they would make some money and some good friends.
Maybe a job for a closed down GM plant? :-D Some millionair can re-tool one for a huge museum and reproduce vintage Dodge parts.. Anybody out there with some big bucks?

offroaddiesel

i would take more pics today but i would have to do it in the storm ,i have a few flatheads 230+ 251. a couple in the 37s and one will be replaced with a diesel this winter. alot were scrspped last year up here ,not aware that they were going to be scrapped , if known they would be here. evryone around here knows where to send their orphan truck parts steve from western maine

citizensoldier

My buddy Maxim is looking for a intake and exhaust manifold for a 251 if you have a extra you would sell. He is putting a 251 in a M37 dump project and it had the original set are the updraft style out of a combine. So if you had a good set he might be interested..
.. Tune in tomorrow for more pictures.. Waiting for some paint to cure and bending up some tubing for the breather lines. I also need one more new motor mount for the front of the 230 engine.. Time to call Sid Beck.. LOL.. :-D

citizensoldier

i would take more pics today but i would have to do it in the storm ,i have a few flatheads 230+ 251. a couple in the 37s and one will be replaced with a diesel this winter. alot were scrspped last year up here ,not aware that they were going to be scrapped , if known they would be here. evryone around here knows where to send their orphan truck parts steve from western maine
What type of diesel are you using? I have a 4Bt that will eventually go into a M37 but its down the list.. I do need some motor mounts for it if anyone has those..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks