• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flaw with LDS 427-2

jatonka

LDS427-2

I am still running one from 1964, it is a white engine in a white truck. We use it at work as a spare off road dump truck. It has a lot more torque than any of my LD and LDT 465's in the M35A2 series of trucks. It uses about no oil and is very dependable. It does smoke a LOT of black smke when working. We don't run it over 2200 RPMs either. JT

rice

I had a 1962 Studebaker with the 427 with turbo. A good running truck. As far as I know it is still working for a living in St James NY. I converted it to a dump and thats why he wanted it, to haul off landscaping debree.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "2" engine is exceedingly rare, having only been produced for the Ford M656 series amphibious 5-tons. Less than a thousand trucks were ever built.

Ran an Allison transmission, too.

dg

red devils dude

G744 said:
The "2" engine is exceedingly rare, having only been produced for the Ford M656 series amphibious 5-tons. Less than a thousand trucks were ever built.

Ran an Allison transmission, too.

dg
G744 you mean the 427 as the "2" right? they where installed in all or at
least most M35A1's(note the A1) and there all turbo's with a wastegate
if I remember right if any one has something to add shoot 8)

jatonka

LDS-427-2

I'll have to look at my engine plate but I am pretty sure it is an LDS427-2 motor. I have heard of the M656 having a much more powerful 465. Never saw one yet. John Naglich has the fuel pump heads for these engines quite inexpensive and with a bit of machining on the shaft that goes into the pump drive you can create a monster mill if so inclined. I personally have always had success with the Naglich family as long as I knew what I wanted and explained it to them. Ebay is not the place to do business with them, deal direct. In my opinion. JT

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "2" has different pistons, cooling nozzles, turbo, timing, pump & injectors, and requires a different radiator capacity.

Leave yours alone, it will run longer. Besides, (in my opinion) the 427 was the best multifuel built. It had real boost from the turbo, and didn't suffer the same crankshaft harmonic syndrome.

dg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks