• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flex Hose radiator hoses

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have begun to look for new radiator hoses for the LDS465-2 engine and one shop suggested "Flex Hose", I'll have a sample available this afternoon. Has any of you any experience with this?

Upper : NSN 2930-00-045-1328
Lower : NSN 2930-00-045-1603

m139h2otruck

If you know the counter parts guys at your local auto/truck parts dealer (NAPA, etc.), make a rough wire pattern of the hose you need, with the nozzle size and ask if they will let you go out back and look over the hose rack. I have done this a number of times and been able to fit/cutup an existing formed hose from some other application to fit mine. It also will look much better than the cheap flex-fit-all box store hose.

Barrman

Don't use the flex hose. I had a brand new NAPA one fail with a little over a year of use and about 6K miles. I had it on the upper radiator to engine location.

It failed at one of the outter folds. Once I got it off, I was able to pull several of the outter folds apart with just my fingers.

No.2Diesel

Yeah that generic hose is poop. Yes it is good for simple applications like an old car or hot rod, but will not be able to hold the shape of multiple sharp bends.

Ditto on M139H20s remarks.

JasonS

Mine seep at the inner diameter. They are also more expensive.

The local napa let me borrow their hose catalog which I photocopied. You can go online and check prices and pics for NAPA hoses.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, if I can find them, Memphis has very few LDS465-2 parts.
Found out that Carquest handles the Vulco-flex hoses, about $20-25/ea depending on length.

Virtually the same part except I can look up the spec on the Gates hose..

Attachments

Cranetruck,
What is so special about the 465-2 hoses that you can not use straight hose and metal bends, like the GMC's did, or the M-39 series gassers? Pre formed metal turns are a shelf item with most good hose manufacturers. Try going to Federal Hose for example. (By the way if you go with silicon hose you will never have to worry about repalacing the hard to get at ones.)
You will NOT be happy wit the flex hose....

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run flex in my 1949 Ford with the flathead 6. It serves me well. The single bend is fairly gradual. I realize the application is different than what you are talking about. It would be good to find the flex hoses that do fit your truck. You could at least use them in an emergency, right? Keep them on hand in the BII box or someplace.
I've been told that the liquid passing through flex hose picks up turbulence and is slightly "restricted." I'm guessing it's like air/fuel mixture passing through a non-polished intake manifold. The smooth walls of the proper hose create better flow. Again, that may be more applicable and critical on high performance motors.

Knucklehead

Bjorn;

Have you considered stainless steel flex hoses.Cool-Flex and Mr. Gasket make them and once you form them they hold their shape. They come in different lengths and colors and are simple to install. I put a set on my M51A1 and I run them on my Ford Diesel PU. Check out www.jegs.com or Summitracing.com.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Squirt-Truck said:
Cranetruck,
What is so special about the 465-2 hoses that you can not use straight hose and metal bends, like the GMC's did, or the M-39 series gassers? Pre formed metal turns are a shelf item with most good hose manufacturers. Try going to Federal Hose for example. (By the way if you go with silicon hose you will never have to worry about repalacing the hard to get at ones.)
You will NOT be happy wit the flex hose....
The jury is still out on this one, I have no deadlines on this project, just checking the options and this forum is a perfect sounding board.

The upper hose should not be a problem, the lower one snakes its way down and then out to the radiator. The LDS465-2 is a little different in that it has the transmission oil cooler up front also. The lower hose is close to 20 inches long...

Edit: Both flex hoses have been returned and the search is on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks