• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Flipping the hubs"

Patgonia53

Sorry for the very basic question... BUT... can someone tell me what excatly "flipping the hubs" means for a duece... and do I need to do front and reads to run supersingle tires...??

tco3129

Let me say this before someone throws a tire tool at you. You sound like me a year ago.
SEARCH, READ, SEARCH, READ, and then SEARCH, READ some more. Use the search function at the top. Flipping hubs has been covered a lot. It actually is good reading and will familiarize you with the site. Good Luck and good reading Private.:beer:

M1031CMT

Its the hub assembly on the rear diff's (only) that need to be flipped.

First pic is non flipped. You can see that it is closer to the inside of the diff and will hold two tires.

Second pic is of the hub flipped. Is pushed outwards, so the tire will be better centered.

Both pics are of the diff with the axle shalf removed, btw.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

Last edited:

197thhhc

Here is a bench pic of the hubs. Basically you unbolt the hub from the drum, drive out the wheel studs from the hub and put them in the other way. Flip the hub, then bolt it back down. Messy but not to hard.

Attachments

Last edited:

Patgonia53

did the search (which I should have done first...but jumped the gun) Many excellent tutorials on the site...

Incredible knowledge base on this site !!! You guys are amazing...

Now that I searcherd and "studied up" I am ready to begin

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO RESPONDED...

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why flip the hubs? Why not just remove one wheel and place the outer one back in it's original position?
That question has been asked - and answered - as well. The outside wheel will not match the track of the front wheels (still tracks too wide). Furthermore, some say that the hubs/wheel bearings are not designed to take the full load of the truck with only the outer wheels in position. It appears that with the outer wheels only mounted, too much leverage exists on the hubs/bearings.

Why flip the hubs? Why not just remove one wheel and place the outer one back in it's original position?
Even if you remove the inner wheel, the outer in the same (turned out) orientation will still give your rear wheels a wider track than the front. The advantage is more stability if you're carrying a higher profile load like a large cabover camper, utility box or better stability in more intense off-road situations. The downside is more stress on the rear axle bearings causing them to wear out faster or require more frequent routine maintenance. if you've got a tight driveway and not much room, you could find yourself leaving tire marks on the house or garage. Looking down the side of the truck and seeing a single wheel in the rear with the rim turned out can look a little goofy, but some guys do that on bobbers using the M105 bed to make more clearance between the inside of the bed fender well and the tires if they run a 395 or bigger. The other way to deal with that is to raise the bed a few inches above the frame with spacers to make more clearance so that the hubs can be flipped, the rear wheels turned in and the front and rear tracking at equal width. Having the front and rear wheels tracking equally will make for an easier handling, better steering truck. Every little bit helps when you don't have any hydro or pneumatic steering assistance.
:driver:

greenjeepster

I know the military singled out m35s sometimes. Do they have a printed procedure for doing so? I have searched and most threads say that the hub flip is purely for aesthetics.

greenjeepster

Thanks for the pics Eagle.

My reasoning for singling out is that I have 5 bad tires and don't want to buy that many new ones. I plan to stay with the 9.00-11.00s, I would like to get a set of tires off of a 5 ton eventually, but haven't found anything within driving distance lately.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
It's simple enough that a caveman can do it...since I did with a little help. Only thing is ensure you put the cork in the slot. I listened to just using RTV. Not a spectacular outcome.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks