• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flooding I think

Jimb3893

Hi folks. I own a 1971 M38A1 which I've owned since 1988. It doesn't run more than maybe 25 hrs per year. Last year I replaced the fuel pump with an after market pump. I couldn't find a kit for the original pump at a reasonable price. The new pump was sold to me by a reputable supplier in the mid west.
The jeep starts fine and runs well unless I stop and let it idle for a few minutes. Then it promptly stalls and is very difficult to start again. Seems like it's flooded and belches black smoke when it does start.
I took the carb apart and cleaned it this spring. That didn't help.
I'm wondering if the new pump has too much pressure for the carb.
Can anyone tell me what the pump pressure should be and if there is a way to regulate it?

Many Thanks

Jim Baker

JGBallew

There is (was) an accessory fuel pressure regulator out there, had one on a 66 Nissan Patrol. But it's a bright chromed gizmo, and I think you need to look at the carb again.

"Readjust the carb", is my first suggestion.

if that doesn't do it, pull the carb and check the float level. Then all gaskets. When the gaskets dry out, you can have tiny leaks. Also check the idle mixture screw for a "ring" or gouging to it's taper.

You should be able to turn that idle mixture screw in when the engine is idling and cause the mill to stall.

Then check the crankcase vent system, for a stuck valve.

I'll try and get you a refrence pressure ASAP, have to look it up to be sure.

Okay, should be 4~5 PSI at cranking.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks