• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Floor Covering

Armada

I just got a new rubber floor covering from Classic Industries for my 1009. It also came with the pad that goes under the rubber, (I think they call it 'jute'). Pretty much like the factory. Problem is, the pad looks to be absorbent, just like the factory. That is the #1 cause for rotten floors in these trucks. Once wet, always wet.
Question is, anyone have any experience with a different product that I can use in place of the OE pad that will not absorb water? I know there are various prducts out there, but I'd like to know if anyone has used, and can recommend from personnal experience, something that will help insulate the floor, deaden sound, and not hold moisture. Thanks.

rizzo

My dad put armorflex in his s-15 truck. it will not absord water and is used as an insulation. I will look for a website for it.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Armada,
I've had a rubber floor w/double jute padding in my Suburban for more than four years. We live in Denver, where it snows.

You just need to be vigilant, but it's not that big a deal to keep the jute dry. Unless you are planning to do severe creek fording.

I was going to add Fatmat to my Sub until I decided to sell it and buy an M1009. I will be doing the interior with double jute under a rubber floor. But underneath it all will be Fatmat.

Think Dynamat, THOUGH WAY CHEAPER.

www.fatmat.com

I got enough fatmat to do my Suburban AND my Deuce (200 sq ft) shipped for about $220. It has been a few months ago since I got it, but it will work just the same.

You apply the fatmat DIRECTLY to the steel floor. It should seal out all sorts of moisture issues.

At least that's the theory.

jim

mangus580

The other thing you could do, would be to coat your floor with something like herculiner before you put the mats down. An epoxy coating of sorts should help keep rust from forming even if the mat gets soaked...

JCease

I have a spray in bedliner on the rear of my pick-up. I am really pleased with it. I shopped around and found that the "Line-X" brand appeared to be the most durable. The only drawback is that you can not install it yourself. I took my truck in and they had it done in about 4 hours. They spray in on in layers and it is at least 1/4 inch thick across the entire bed and over the bed rails. I think this would be a good step to include in your project. The Department of Defense did some serious testing on the LINE-X material in blast scenarios and its performance was exceptional. It was even used in the rebuilding of the Pentagon.

Take a look and see if it might be something worthwhile. I have a short bed full size pick-up and I had them spray over the bed rails and it was about $450 bucks.... I figure it was well worth it especially if I had the truck over time. It has hauled dirt, sand, rocks, manure, trash, mulch and railroad ties. I have spilled oil and gas in the back of it and there is no damage. Plus they have a pretty sweet warranty deal.

Sorry to be long winded, but it is a product that I really like!!

BKinzey

Closed cell neoprene but the truck bed liner would be best. Since it would be covered by a rubber mat you probably could get away with a cheap one like Herculiner.

I'mm looking at rubber mats as well. What do you think of the Classic Industries? $$? Link?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
vbrescueman said:
I know that you guys are using this in cucv's but what about in the deuce cabin? I'm sure it would quiet its operation immensely-?
vbr,
Gotta get that decibel meter first. And for EVERYONE HERE, RandyLBarnes installed a really nice muffler on his deuce. NOW all you hear is the engine and the whine of his 'C' turbo.

Yeah, yeah, I know I forgot to take pix. I was so impressed with the lack of sound coming out of his deuce I spaced it out. Sorry, but I'll go see him next week and will post pix then.

But after taking 'before' sound level measurements THEN I will be installing the muffler, take more sound level readings. Then install fatmat and take more sound level readings. Then install the jute and rubber matting AND take more sound level readings.

And yes, I'm posting this in the Deuce section next.

jim