• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Florida MV Insurance and RV Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavarok

4: The vehicle described above is a Firefighting apparatus, other historical motor vehicle or former military vehicle 30 years old or older, used only in exhibitions, parades or public displays.
** Yes over 30 years, yes former military vehicle, but again, I plan to use the vehicle so it does not qualify. I wonder if displaying it in the woods in the middle of nowhere counts?
I do not believe Florida law defines "public display". This is left open to interpretation.

Slightly off topic, but does reference your post. The section for permanent antique plates and military vehicles does not contain a vehicle age restriction.

" (6)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]For purposes of this section, "former military vehicle" means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country's military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.
"

CUCVs are eligible.

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, here's the link to the CDL issue.

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

It came from PaulFarber on page 3 of the following thread:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/49519-florida-cdl-your-5-ton-you.html

So I researched what statute it came from and found this:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

My favorite section of the regulation comes from Chapter 316:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

In it it has the following definition:

(66) COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE.—Any self-propelled or towed vehicle used on the public highways in commerce to transport passengers or cargo, if such vehicle:
(a) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or more;

(b) Is designed to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver; or

(c) Is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act, as amended (49 U.S.C. ss. 1801 et seq.).

A vehicle that occasionally transports personal property to and from a closed-course motorsport facility, as defined in s. 549.09(1)(a), is not a commercial motor vehicle if it is not used for profit and corporate sponsorship is not involved. As used in this subsection, the term “corporate sponsorship” means a payment, donation, gratuity, in-kind service, or other benefit provided to or derived by a person in relation to the underlying activity, other than the display of product or corporate names, logos, or other graphic information on the property being transported.

But Chapter 322 gives this definition of a CMV:

(8) “Commercial motor vehicle” means any motor vehicle or motor vehicle combination used on the streets or highways, which:
(a) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more;
(b) Is designed to transport more than 15 persons, including the driver; or
(c) Is transporting hazardous materials and is required to be placarded in accordance with Title 49 C.F.R. part 172, subpart F.

A vehicle that occasionally transports personal property to and from a closed-course motorsport facility, as defined in s. 549.09(1)(a), is not a commercial motor vehicle if the use is not for profit and corporate sponsorship is not involved. As used in this subsection, the term “corporate sponsorship” means a payment, donation, gratuity, in-kind service, or other benefit provided to or derived by a person in relation to the underlying activity, other than the display of product or corporate names, logos, or other graphic information on the property being transported
The problem is the definition above is from the chapter that covers the classes of licenses (third link from the top of this post). It says a CDL is needed for:

322.53 License required; exemptions.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), every person who drives a commercial motor vehicle in this state is required to possess a valid commercial driver’s license issued in accordance with the requirements of this chapter.
(2) The following persons are exempt from the requirement to obtain a commercial driver’s license: (a) Drivers of authorized emergency vehicles.
(b) Military personnel driving vehicles operated for military purposes.
(c) Farmers transporting farm supplies or farm machinery within 150 miles of their farm, or transporting agricultural products to or from the first place of storage or processing or directly to or from market, within 150 miles of their farm.
(d) Drivers of recreational vehicles, as defined in s.320.01.
(e) Drivers who operate straight trucks, as defined in s.316.003, that are exclusively transporting their own tangible personal property which is not for sale.
(f) An employee of a publicly owned transit system who is limited to moving vehicles for maintenance or parking purposes exclusively within the restricted-access confines of a transit system’s property.

On another note OM, got some good news this evening about the truck I was telling you about. I will be sending you an email with some pics in a few minutes. :)

Ruppster

Last edited:

oldMan99

I do not believe Florida law defines "public display". This is left open to interpretation.

Slightly off topic, but does reference your post. The section for permanent antique plates and military vehicles does not contain a vehicle age restriction.

" (6)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]For purposes of this section, "former military vehicle" means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country's military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.
"

CUCVs are eligible.
Can you post a link to the page you found that on?? I would like to read the whole document...

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks