• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Florida paperwork

FatBuddhaBoo

I just went through this. Got my insurance through Gulfway as everyone else (and I mean EVERYONE!) was too darn expensive.

Titling for me was a breeze as my duece already had a title, so a simply walk into the DMV got me same day title. Then I mailed in my form 83045 w/ copy oif title and insurance proof and had my permanent antique tag within two weeks.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/83045.pdf

scottjhl

I just went through this. Got my insurance through Gulfway as everyone else (and I mean EVERYONE!) was too darn expensive.

Titling for me was a breeze as my duece already had a title, so a simply walk into the DMV got me same day title. Then I mailed in my form 83045 w/ copy oif title and insurance proof and had my permanent antique tag within two weeks.

That is exactly the way that I did mine... NO Problems

bobd837@yahoo.com

I have asked the Florida DMV on more than one occasion about an antique tag for my 1972 M35A2. Each time it was denied. I was told ny the FL DMV that any vehicle over 5000 lbs is not allowed to have an antique tag. Mine weighs in at 13,500 lbs (more than twice the state limit). Am I asking the wrong department or what? How are other people getting their antique tags?

phil2968

Do not go to the local dmv office. They don't know all they should. You have do do it through the mail. Follow the instructions on this form and send it to Tallahassee.

From the Florida statutes Chapter 320.086, section (6) For purposes of this section, “former military vehicle” means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle’s size, weight, or year of manufacture,that was manufactured for use in any country’s military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.

I drive mine all the time for "public display". Always gets attention everywhere we go!

Last edited:

jwesley74

I'm currently waiting on my title from GL. I requested it Nov 6. I went on FL HSMV website and found the title was issued by FL on Nov 29, and printed on Dec 4. As of Dec 13, GL still hadn't rcvd it. But as soon as they do they are mailing it to me. After research I did, I found the same info regarding FL antique tag. However, my M923 is a '83, so I'm not sure if they will allow an antique tag after Jan 1, or if I will have to wait til it's 30 yrs old from date of manufacture. According to FL Law FMV's as long as it's 30 yrs old or older, it qualifies for antique tag regardless of size or weight and cost $10.25 for a permanent plate exempt from renewals. Furthermore, FL law states FMV's are exempt from displaying the plate, you just have to have the plate in the cab with registration to show LEO if they ask.

You can go to FL laws online and print these laws and take them with you to the tag office if you have a problem. Or go to another tag office. I had issues with one county and went to another county and no issue. So they can be different from place to place depending on how cooperative the tag agent is.

Here's what the FL Statute reads:

320.086 Ancient or antique motor vehicles; horseless carriage, antique, or historical license plates; former military vehicles.—

(2)(a) The owner of a motor vehicle for private use manufactured after 1945 and of the age of 30 years or more after the date of manufacture, equipped with an engine of the age of 30 years or more after the date of manufacture, and operated on the streets and highways of this state may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(1)(d), (2)(a), or (3)(e), be issued a special license plate for such motor vehicle. In addition to the payment of all other fees required by law, the applicant shall pay the fee for the issuance of the special license plate prescribed by the department, commensurate with the cost of its manufacture. The registration numbers and special license plates assigned to such motor vehicles shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with “Antique No. 1,” and the plates shall be of a distinguishing color. The owner of the motor vehicle may, upon application and payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08, be issued a regular Florida license plate or specialty license plate in lieu of the special “Antique” license plate.

(3) The owner of an ancient or antique firefighting apparatus, former military vehicle, or other historical motor vehicle 30 years old or older which is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(2)(a), be issued a license plate as prescribed in subsection (1) or subsection (2). License plates issued under this subsection shall be permanent and valid for use without renewal as long as the vehicle is in existence and its use is consistent with this subsection.

(5) A former military vehicle that is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display is exempt from the requirement to display a license plate or registration insignia if the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle’s accurate military markings. However, the license plate and registration certificate issued under this section must be carried within the vehicle and available for inspection by any law enforcement officer.

(6) For purposes of this section, “former military vehicle” means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle’s size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country’s military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.

320.08 License taxes.—
(2) AUTOMOBILES OR TRI-VEHICLES FOR PRIVATE USE.—(a) An ancient or antique automobile, as defined in s. 320.086, or a street rod, as defined in s. 320.0863: $10.25 flat, of which $2.75 shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund.