• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Florida - Transfer out of state Collectible Tag on HMMWV to Florida?

Bob01

So it seems there is no good way of purchasing directly from Iron Plant/Gov Planet and registering an HMMWV in Florida for street use via SF97.

Would it be possible to transfer registration of an HMMWV that was registered as a collectible in another state to Florida as a collectible?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob01

Greetings All,

Any state could follow in the footsteps of Michigan and start recalling/cancelling existing titles/tags for previously registered HMMWV?

If so - are there any additional steps the Florida state government would need to do before this would happen?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure what you are asking, I assume like any state government it could push a bill through the state legislature banning them or have someone with enough power to simply tell the FLA DMV to exploit existing laws to get that outcome.
That is why ELECTIONS MATTER!!!!

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went through this a few months ago. It is totally disgusting! It is a decision by some Florida Bureaucrat and not an act of law. They treated me VERY disrespectfully, attempted to take away any value of my purchase, and only wanted to exercise their perceived power.

Perhaps this will help you. Long thread, but it took me almost 4 months to work through it and a LOT of unnecessary expenses.

Wife wants me to do the unthinkable due to the Florida DMV debacle!

I can definitely tell you that head bureaucrat indeed wanted me to rat out friends that owned other humvees so that he could pull back their plates. The list of obscenities I invented for this POS was historic.

And, no, you can only register a humvee under a Historic Military tag after passing a in person inspection and if ANY change was made to the vehicle, even if it is for safety like replacing bald tires, the bureaucrat will mark the title as "off-road" only and you will not be able title it in Florida. They will not register it as an antique "collectable" either.

Whatever you do, do NOT take your out-of-state title to a Florida DMV as they are likely to invalidate your out-of-state title for you, like they did for me.

Last edited:

Action

I moved to FL and took my Indiana title (in my name) to Lee County dmv. The lady came out to verify that the truck VIN matched my paperwork. It was transferred to a FL normal title.
If you have sf97 or title not in your name, you will have to take it for a vin verification. That guy will not pass it.
My experience was for a normal title. I know nothing about antique or former military tags.

jwesley74

I went through this a few months ago. It is totally disgusting! It is a decision by some Florida Bureaucrat and not an act of law. They treated me VERY disrespectfully, attempted to take away any value of my purchase, and only wanted to exercise their perceived power.

Perhaps this will help you. Long thread, but it took me almost 4 months to work through it and a LOT of unnecessary expenses.

Wife wants me to do the unthinkable due to the Florida DMV debacle!

I can definitely tell you that head bureaucrat indeed wanted me to rat out friends that owned other humvees so that he could pull back their plates. The list of obscenities I invented for this POS was historic.

And, no, you can only register a humvee under a Historic Military tag after passing a in person inspection and if ANY change was made to the vehicle, even if it is for safety like replacing bald tires, the bureaucrat will mark the title as "off-road" only and you will not be able title it in Florida. They will not register it as an antique "collectable" either.

Whatever you do, do NOT take your out-of-state title to a Florida DMV as they are likely to invalidate your out-of-state title for you, like they did for me.
I filed lawsuit in Sarasota County for Writ of Mandamas last week, 1/31/23. I've based my Writ on the fact FL law 320.086(3) does not prohibit issuing unbranded title or unrestricted registration for HMMWV's. I'm hoping to argue in front of the Judge on the matter and requested an Order by the court to direct the FL DMV issue clear title and registration.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greeting All,

For folks that got their HMMWV titled/tagged for street use by DirtLegal.com -- https://www.dirtlegal.com/services/military-street-legal-registration

I would be most grateful if you could share your experience both during and after the process.

For Florida, they suggested it would be best to register it in Utah and have the vehicle registered under an LLC...

Thanks in Advance!
First I am not an attorney, your mileage may very and my advice is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Allot of these "laws" are nothing but "rules" put forth by an individual or a comity, this is of course our fault for being lazy and complacent on the power we gave to these morons. reining back these mistakes can take decades IF we even pursue it.

But it looks like IF you actually form an LLC and transfer the ownership to the vehicle to the LLC AND are up front with your insurance agency about where the vehicle is registered and where it is operated then you can be reasonably sure you have your butt covered.

I hear allot of folks saying their ins. company is OK with what they are doing but if you are violating state law then your butt is still hanging out there..

Most states allow NON state residence to operate out of state registered vehicles that are "prohibited" in that state but not a resident of that state.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I moved to FL and took my Indiana title (in my name) to Lee County dmv. The lady came out to verify that the truck VIN matched my paperwork. It was transferred to a FL normal title.
If you have sf97 or title not in your name, you will have to take it for a vin verification. That guy will not pass it.
My experience was for a normal title. I know nothing about antique or former military tags.
Do you do a HMMWV or something else MV related. Yea the bull stuff has changed here in FL. a few years back. Seems like HMMWV's are getting branded titles for offroad only and the others are getting a branded title for road use but just like the old antique tag only used for display aka shows and parades. No more antique blue tags for MV's in FL. I got lucky and have the blue antique tag for my 1992 M15A2 and 1973 M373 trailer but I did them years ago. Also the freightliner is not really a MV specific truck so I will never have to get a former military tag. Bottom line M915A2 just a freightliner FLD 120 painted camo/ and sling lift bumper.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks