• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

Foxyjosh

another one for you see guys, I have a buddy with one, he wants to buy an impact hammer attachment for it, to be able to turn big rocks into little rocks. is the back hoe boom a standard boom from a case back hoe or is it specific to the see.
It's a standard Case M35C Any Case dealer can get parts for the hoe.

The impact tools I have are made by Stanley tools. The hard part is finding the special hydraulic couplings for the SEE.

And a big thanks to General Hood for those diagrams (I was one of those guys he's talking about), and to Speedwoble for digitizing.

The reason I'm thanking them ahead of time is that I've just bought my SEE, and it's got that unmistakable symptom of Texas Rat Disease...no lights or gauges work.

This seems like a great forum and a great group of folks helping each other out. I hope to contribute what I can.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

The impact tools I have are made by Stanley tools. The hard part is finding the special hydraulic couplings for the SEE.
The quick disconnects seem to be standard military items, they are the same as found in the mk15a1

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I think it's mostly an even more standard Case 580C. Finding the quick disconnects wasn't that hard. I can look up the numbers if someone wants them - or look at the numbers on the couplers on the hose reel, then pick the hose connection tread/size of your liking.

BigBison

FYI, I sold out of the electrical charts some time back. There have been a couple guys on the forum ask for a copy since. My failing memory recalls one of you scanning a PDF version to be made available. You may want to post up the availability of the PDF to help these guys out
I bought two, one was intended as a gift for a certain vendor who let me down big-time since; I'd rather give it away than sell it, to anyone who needs one and has/made a contribution to this community, PM me. I wasn't aware the General sold out until a few minutes ago, I'd prefer not to hoard!

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was in my workshop with air tools and such....in the mud might add 10-15 mins... ;)
Okay, did the deed on concrete. Now I'm curious how you accessed the rear tank brackets. It'd be easy if it wasn't for the muffler being inconveniently placed in the way.
I ended up loosening both straps, removing the bolts for the front bracket, then moved the tank forward and tilted it down as much as possible. It was still tight at the pickup line (the rear is the pickup, right?) DSCN0184[1].jpg

All in all it took about four hours, including replacing a fitting and using the ClampTite on the return's connection which was loose. Did it help? No.

BigBison

My issue regarding videos of how easy it is to raise the SEE's front wheels off the ground...

You're all on the level. ;) But my SEE let me down in that regard at 30 below zero , tilted over on the side of a crowned road. Where it's parked right now and with the temps we've been having, yeah I could swap a wheel, no problem. When & where it was stranded with a real-world flat tire, I had to fetch the floor jack. The frame reinforcements which make a 406 a 419 put the whole truck as a side-load on the front loader on a sideslope as opposed to flat. Aside from all the cold-weather moaning and groaning normal for a 30-year-old chassis. Learn from my having to fetch a floor jack instead of scoffing at that (not that anyone has, just sayin'), at least until you've posted video of jacking up your SEE with its bucket while tilted 15* (mostly from the road crown, add a few * cause that's a tall sidewall gets squished down to nothing when flat on the downhill side).

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying if you can, my SEE's likely in worse shape than I thought, I just want video of that? Also because the ability to operate non-level is the attraction with FLUs, afaic, especially the forklift load-rotate imho. I mean, like, yippee you can change a tire on a nice day on a flat paved surface. So can I. ;) I really do want to see a vid of someone getting their downhill wheel lifted on a tilt, to even know if the problem I encountered was my own, or everyone's?

911joeblow

I pulled out the assembly from the tank while I was there to also make sure there is nothing else wrong like a rusted pickup tube.

Okay, did the deed on concrete. Now I'm curious how you accessed the rear tank brackets. It'd be easy if it wasn't for the muffler being inconveniently placed in the way.
I ended up loosening both straps, removing the bolts for the front bracket, then moved the tank forward and tilted it down as much as possible. It was still tight at the pickup line (the rear is the pickup, right?) View attachment 667813

All in all it took about four hours, including replacing a fitting and using the ClampTite on the return's connection which was loose. Did it help? No.

911joeblow

I would like the numbers and source as I cant get enough numbers off mine to figure out where to get them. Conversely they appear to be standard flat face couplers which if I knew the size could just order.

I think it's mostly an even more standard Case 580C. Finding the quick disconnects wasn't that hard. I can look up the numbers if someone wants them - or look at the numbers on the couplers on the hose reel, then pick the hose connection tread/size of your liking.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like the numbers and source as I cant get enough numbers off mine to figure out where to get them. Conversely they appear to be standard flat face couplers which if I knew the size could just order.
Okay, I'll look them up tomorrow. MSC direct is a good source, but I generally get the males and females from different places, going for the lowest prices for each.

jstark45xd

My issue regarding videos of how easy it is to raise the SEE's front wheels off the ground...

You're all on the level. ;) But my SEE let me down in that regard at 30 below zero , tilted over on the side of a crowned road. Where it's parked right now and with the temps we've been having, yeah I could swap a wheel, no problem. When & where it was stranded with a real-world flat tire, I had to fetch the floor jack. The frame reinforcements which make a 406 a 419 put the whole truck as a side-load on the front loader on a sideslope as opposed to flat. Aside from all the cold-weather moaning and groaning normal for a 30-year-old chassis. Learn from my having to fetch a floor jack instead of scoffing at that (not that anyone has, just sayin'), at least until you've posted video of jacking up your SEE with its bucket while tilted 15* (mostly from the road crown, add a few * cause that's a tall sidewall gets squished down to nothing when flat on the downhill side).

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying if you can, my SEE's likely in worse shape than I thought, I just want video of that? Also because the ability to operate non-level is the attraction with FLUs, afaic, especially the forklift load-rotate imho. I mean, like, yippee you can change a tire on a nice day on a flat paved surface. So can I. ;) I really do want to see a vid of someone getting their downhill wheel lifted on a tilt, to even know if the problem I encountered was my own, or everyone's?
I understand. I will see what I can do. Sounds scary though. Is it not possible to drive into a better position? The tire is already flat? Maybe a pic of it would help me better understand.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks