• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

Another Ahab

Last edited:

Another Ahab

That's a good point Ahab, schadenfreude did cross my mind. Rather than having smug satisfaction at someone else's misfortune though, I think Foxyjosh's situation is just putting mine into better perspective.
Well, yeah, it's not an exact fit at all.

I'm not picturing you enjoying anyone else's misfortune, but i just like having a reason to use a German word. fat lady sings:naner:

Bikers33

Looks like I'm going to be pulling out the transmission. Any tips or tricks not covered in the manual?

I see bolts not tightened or missing, gaskets missing or broken. I'm going to assume that the mechanic working for Uncle Sam had no idea what they were doing. So, I'm taking this thing out and hoping there is nothing catastrophically wrong with it.

Can anyone recommend a service shop that specializes in these transmissions just in case?
Scotty at EI would be your best first call, He has the parts and knowledge.
I guess that clutch switch that I sent you wasn't the problem?:smile:

peakbagger

Scott at EI referred me to an ex CASE/Mercedes Unimog mechanic in northern CA. He is retired but works on them and apparently he do work on transmission for the army as ac contractor

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like I'm going to be pulling out the transmission.
Sorry to hear that, Foxyjosh. Like patrol578 mentioned, it puts my SEE issues in a new perspective.
I would think that Couch may be your best bet. From what I understand he's familiar with the procedure, and only about half as far away. The latter alone would represent a noticeable amount of change in transportation costs . But let's hope you can pull it off by yourself.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To counter the bad news about Foxyjosh's tranny, today was a relatively good day as far as the (formerly) parts SEE goes.

Found out why one Zerk on the upper pin for the bucket wouldn't take grease - had to drill out the passage, it was full of very hard ex-grease. Thankfully the pin still looked fine.

Fixed the door latches next.

Also took a look at why the tool switch wouldn't budge. Expected it to be full of crap, but it looked near new, inside and out. Obviously replaced not that long ago.
Looking at the contact surfaces, it did work at some point, judging by the tracks. What the heck?!?
Noticed that the front of the "housing" was misshaped, then that the whole thing was bent. How on earth someone managed to do that is beyond me, but the shaft couldn't move because of it.DSCN0383[1].jpg Beat it back into (straight) submission, and now the tool reel works. Oddly enough, the small constant dripping from the male coupler stopped in the process. I suspect what might have been a bad ground had a part in that. Or it was pure coincidence.

Took the SEE for a spin&dig, but the fuel issues are still there. It runs longer and better, but it's not quite there yet. Let it catch its breath at lower rpm and it'll run fine again, for a while.

Lastly, inspired by Migginsbros, European taillights seemed like a suitable finishing touch.DSCN0382[1].jpg

General Hood

To counter the bad news about Foxyjosh's tranny, today was a relatively good day as far as the (formerly) parts SEE goes.

Found out why one Zerk on the upper pin for the bucket wouldn't take grease - had to drill out the passage, it was full of very hard ex-grease. Thankfully the pin still looked fine.

Fixed the door latches next.

Also took a look at why the tool switch wouldn't budge. Expected it to be full of crap, but it looked near new, inside and out. Obviously replaced not that long ago.
Looking at the contact surfaces, it did work at some point, judging by the tracks. What the heck?!?
Noticed that the front of the "housing" was misshaped, then that the whole thing was bent. How on earth someone managed to do that is beyond me, but the shaft couldn't move because of it.View attachment 679464 Beat it back into (straight) submission, and now the tool reel works. Oddly enough, the small constant dripping from the male coupler stopped in the process. I suspect what might have been a bad ground had a part in that. Or it was pure coincidence.

Took the SEE for a spin&dig, but the fuel issues are still there. It runs longer and better, but it's not quite there yet. Let it catch its breath at lower rpm and it'll run fine again, for a while.

Lastly, inspired by Migginsbros, European taillights seemed like a suitable finishing touch.View attachment 679466

At least you're making progress, take that European trend a step further and start adding some James Bond gadgets to your SEE

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least you're making progress, take that European trend a step further and start adding some James Bond gadgets to your SEE
Well, yeah, I don't waste time on building housing for coyote food...err, I meant the chicken coop that apparently kept you from finding out what's wrong with your SEE #2's rear axle.
Anyway, I did add a non-American (it's a Grote, but surely made in China) spot mirror today. And I do have the matching front lights, too. Genuine Mercedes Euro spec, no less.
So there.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are some great tail lights Flu Farm, and they look period-correct, even. Mid 80's 300-series Mercedes perhaps?
Yeah, they are indeed Eighties tail lights. Together with MUCH other stuff, they were in the attic of a house I bought. Interestingly enough, the owner left in a big hurry (there was even food in the fridge, still) and I found water proof bags, maps of Columbia, hidden compartments in the house, and more. Wonder why he left??
For years, I feared finding illegal plants somewhere on the property. Never did, thankfully.

General Hood

Yeah, they are indeed Eighties tail lights. Together with MUCH other stuff, they were in the attic of a house I bought. Interestingly enough, the owner left in a big hurry (there was even food in the fridge, still) and I found water proof bags, maps of Columbia, hidden compartments in the house, and more. Wonder why he left??
For years, I feared finding illegal plants somewhere on the property. Never did, thankfully.
I was thinking about a summer trip to your neck of the woods to deliver those SEE starters to you, I may need to reconsider under those circumstances :whistle:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking about a summer trip to your neck of the woods to deliver those SEE starters to you, I may need to reconsider under those circumstances :whistle:
Oh, those are old circumstances. No longer a valid excuse since I not only sold that house, but left the state. Although, I still have those waterproof bags, should you decide to walk over to the river...and fall in.

Another Ahab

I'm guessing you thought those were just "pretty flowers" in that BIG industrial size flower garden in the back:

https://youtu.be/KnMa652dZ5E

Today I held the clutch switch in by hand (thanks Flu Farm) and listened for the starter solenoid click (thanks 911joeblow), and having heard the distinctive click, pressed the starter button. And it started.

So maybe the clutch switch wasn't responding to my left foot yesterday? Don't think I was missing anything in the starting sequence, as I checked battery-on, ignition-on, hand throttle-on, clutch-in several times.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm guessing you thought those were just "pretty flowers" in that BIG industrial size flower garden in the back
While there were some wild poppies growing behind the house, it was weed I was worried about. Lots of brush and very varied topography made it practically impossible to see what was growing where.
In what was probably a perfect climate for growing weed, and with known growing in the general area, it took me several years to stop worrying about it.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So maybe the clutch switch wasn't responding to my left foot yesterday? Don't think I was missing anything in the starting sequence, as I checked battery-on, ignition-on, hand throttle-on, clutch-in several times.
I had it happen to me today, again. Sometimes it seems to help to turn the master back off and then on again, while holding the clutch down.

And speaking of pushing the clutch in. I forgot to mention that after fiddling with the tool switch, when I pushed the clutch in there was a distinct sound of air being released. Guess that tool circuit really was on whenever the engine was running. Which explains the leaky quick disconnect.

Another Ahab

While there were some wild poppies growing behind the house, it was weed I was worried about. Lots of brush and very varied topography made it practically impossible to see what was growing where.
In what was probably a perfect climate for growing weed, and with known growing in the general area, it took me several years to stop worrying about it.

https://youtu.be/d-diB65scQU

alpine44

I am changing my status on this thread from "lurker" to official member. Just paid for a FLU419 in Atlanta that was sold on the big auction site. Seller tried to make money with backhoe services and decided to call it a day. The machine is supposed to drive and be usable. We will see.

s-l500 (1).jpg

Once the title arrives, I am planning to get plates and then drive this thing at a slow pace over back roads to our new home near Asheville, NC. For this I need to stow the backhoe which is currently extended and lock the front loader arms. What wrenches should I bring to replace any badly leaking hoses on the main hydraulics and what tools are needed for the front loader lock? My trunk toolbox only goes up to 1" on the open ended wrenches and I doubt that this will be enough.

Before sucking a lot of diesel through the system I may also get a filter kit and replace the existing filters. Any other suggestion other than reading the maintenance manual several times?

And yes, I will have my electric kit and a sharp-toothed apprentice (aka Rat Terrier) with me in case some migrant Texas rodents or their Georgia relatives are still at work on the wiring.

FLU419 Electrician Apprentice.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks