• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

alpine44

Couple questions about oil for the hydraulics:
Will replacing the oil in the front reservoir with AW32 substantially improve the response of the loader?
Can AW32 be added to the existing motor oil?

I plan to stick with the motor oil in the rear tank because the backhoe seems to work well with it. I may add the Case HTO additive that my skidloader requires for its hydrostatic drive. This will boost the properties of the existing oil. Since I need to add oil to both reservoirs, I was thinking to switch out the front oil and keep some of it to refill the rear if needed. Due to the rather large quantities, cost are an issue especially after shipping.

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does make a noticeable dent in the wallet when buying five buckets of AW 32, even the cheap NAPA stuff.
Is the change noticeable in the loader? Not to me, but then I don't use it enough to be a connoisseur. On the other hand, even I could notice a change for the better in the backhoe.

I've done the opposite of what you're thinking of doing and left the 10W in a loader but changed out the rear fluids. In my mind, there are so many more expensive components in the rear system that I don't hesitate to give that section preferential treatment.
I recall reading that (while motor oil obviously works) the properties of hydraulic fluid are quite different. Putting hydraulic fluid in a hydraulic system just made sense, and that it turned out to work better was a welcome bonus.

The front system that still has 10W in it will also get AW 32 once I'm done with "cross pollination" from switching implements between FLUs.

Since you realistically can't/won't get all the 10W out, you're effectively adding hydraulic fluid to motor oil no matter what.
Anyway, I would either leave everything alone until you're ready to switch out the rear (or both), and would not expect the loader to "substantially improve" from the switch. Unfortunately, if the loader is lame, you may have other issues in the system.

General Hood

How kind of you not to sell that one, too, keeping it for him to enjoy.

Oh, I noticed that you/he are playing it safe, without the engine running. Makes sense, especially since that one rarely runs anyway.
It runs a lot better since I put 2 quarts of diesel dry and a secret recipe of fungicide in it. No need in being nasty about it kind sir

BigBison

Truck showed up with a 1/2-ton pallet of shelving, used the HMMH to unload it onto my Dodge, drove up to the quonset hut... the HMMH quit. It was doing that last Fall, so I did some maintenance on the fuel system and thought this problem was fixed.

Bouncing over the railroad tracks caused the motor to misfire, like it was starving for fuel, then it crapped out going uphill. The solution, once again, was to shut it down for a few minutes. Then it started up, ran fine, and finished the job.

Frustrating!

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you're fighting air leaks and/or crap in the tank, or a plugged vent - like many of us are, or have been.
Personally I've never had a the engine act up due to bouncing...but then, I've never driven fast enough over anything to make a FLU bounce.

BigBison

I had to bring the SEE down from my property to the trailer I'm moving out of, to use the backhoe to smush down all the crap I'm throwing out in the dumpster that was overflowing.

I swear I drive the SEE straighter on the highway when drunk... j/k

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks