• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

rtrask

I finally got the last of my SEE home today. There was a spare tire on the it when I bought it, but not when it arrived. Working with the shipper and GP they decided that it was not on the SEE when it left the Yard. Eddie from GP was great, and attached a spare to a pallet. It took a while to arrange transport, but I picked it up at the shipping terminal today.
GP is supposed to re-emburse me for shipping. So we will see how that goes.

The tire is the best I have, and still has remnants of the sticker on it. Of course it is weather checked and a Michelin nut the rim is good and the best I could hope for. I even got a heavy duty tie down strap and a pallet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rtrask

I'm hoping i never have to tilt the cab... I did get the valve out and cleaned up but the roll pin did embed half way up the first ramp so i filed it with a points file and it works great. I am thinking a lot of these 4x4 switches get thrown away when they get gritty and someone reams on it and the roll pin dents the cheap plastic, next time i now know you can pull the cap and nut inside the cab and remove roll pin and pull the plastic parts for touch up with a file if it starts to act up again. Fedexplosion came today with another box of goodies so back to work.
I have decided to tip the cab on mine. I will let you know how it goes, but from the manual it doesn't look too bad, and I think it will save me in the long run.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

alpine44

Great to hear that GP made good on what was advertised in the auction.

FWIW: My spare tire was also brand new but bulged in one spot on the sidewall when I inflated it. Don't rely on an ancient tire just because it looks unused.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any tire where the rubber weathered to the point that water got to the reinforcement plies will fail that way, regardless of brand.
And here I was going to let your "My spare tire was also brand new..." comment slide. New tires aren't weathered, but unused ones can be. There can be a big difference between new and unused when it comes to tires.
It really bugged me when an outfit advertised Michelins as new when in reality they were from around 2008. While I wouldn't fall for it, it's highly likely that someone buys a set, then thinks that they put new tires on their Unimog in 2017 and are good to go for years to come.

A tire is new the day it was made - from then on it's only a matter of how old it is. Yes, it does help to store tires in a cool, dry place, but it doesn't stop the clock.

Anyway, alpine, our private tire discussion earlier this week made me think more about our Michelins. They're marked and marketed as radials, so they must be built to meet industry criteria for a radial. Yet the crown has a shape that a bias ply would be proud of, not the typical flat radial shape with little or no crown to speak of.
The common bulges in the sidewalls (on this type of Michelin) makes it obvious that the carcass is of radial construction, but the tread area puzzles me.

Next time I lose one I'll cut it open. I'm curious to see how many circumferential belts there are, and of what material(s). Yes, I know, most of this information should be molded into the sidewall, but I haven't checked that yet. I try not to look at these tires any more than I have to.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, did a little investigating today. Turns out that the Michelins are molded into a bias ply like shape, presumably to improve the conformability of the contact patch.
I still want to cut one open and see what's in there.

Another Ahab

Okay, did a little investigating today. Turns out that the Michelins are molded into a bias ply like shape, presumably to improve the conformability of the contact patch.
I still want to cut one open and see what's in there.
A tire dissection.

"Everything you wanted to know about tires". That'd be something interesting.

alpine44

Did anyone here replace some of the rigid brake lines? The lines and fittings are metric but the flare is not the usual metric bubble - at least at the master cylinder.

What line and flare tool should I get if I reuse the fittings? The line needing replacement goes from the front of the cab (starting at the rubber hose) to the T near the proportioning valve and is for the front forward calipers.

Last edited:

lurkMcGurk

tire off.JPGIf there was a private tire discussion then my ears were ringing Saturday! took a perfectly positioned and spear shaped rock in the sidewall, quick explosion (compressed air release) and that's all she wrote. Except for braking the lugs, much oil needed here! cheater bar and sweat equity.
tire off two.JPG tires replace.JPG
rolled that bad boy quarter mile through uneven woods path. This spare I had off back at the garage to replace the 4x4 switch a few weeks ago. Didn't realize it was low after filling it because of the dirt build up in the seal causing a slow leak(should have checked ). But honestly who doesn't just want to roll and flip tires down a path any old time?

Managed to get back the Mog to the garage but hearing the hissssss from the bead in several spots. Broke the bead (still on the axle) and wire brushed the gunk out of the seam on both sides, slathered some grease to make the seal, quick reposition of hoe and crow barred it tight enough to seal with air pressure tank. Bead was fixed..............however the valve stem started leaking and ultimately I had to repeat this process and use the original tires valve stem inserted through the inside of the tire. So a unique and Murphys law kind of day, many more hours than initially appropriated.

If I do cut it open I will post pics, because now I am curious too

Attachments

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aren't SEEs fun? I had a similar thing happen (which coincides with when my hatred for the Michelins began) but by dumb luck, my spare was only about 50 feet away.
Nowhere near as entertaining as your tire rolling must've been.

I threw that tire away, so it looks like you'll be the cutter upper now. Unless I lose another one before you get the reciprocating saw out.

Since it was only a Michelin you greased the bead on, I won't say anything. But had it been a good tire I would've given you crap for putting a petroleum product on rubber.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks