• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

911joeblow

View attachment 653499

Another thing you may want to consider is running on used engine oil. I made a gravity fed contraption for filtering when experimenting with used oil in an M1009, but there was a commercially available setup - Oil Cat, if memory serves me - that was literally a push-a-button approach. Well, you had to remove the drain plug on the engine, but other than that...
Up to 7% used oil to diesel was approved for simple diesels like ours, as I recall, and the procedure is apparently common in Alaska on diesel powered generators.
Naturally I had to push the envelope, and at about 40% the M1009 was getting hard to start, and smoked quite a bit.
Still, it was legal even in CA, as long as the oil came out of the same vehicle that it was dumped into the fuel tank of. Not that I understand how they could keep track of what vehicle it came out of. With one oil change on the Pete alone, I had 10 gallons of free fuel.
An added benefit was that even a tiny bit of used oil made the fuel completely black. When I asked an oil analysis lab if it'd be possible to detect red dye in fuel with used oil in it, the answer was "Highly unlikely."
With all the used 10W I'm generating now, plus all the regular oil changes, I should probably look into starting filtering again.

EDIT: Found a photo of the Oil-Cat.
I have run a mix of used motor oil and unleaded gas. It works but is dirty.

BigBison

I'm trying to get a building permit approved with greywater wetland / blackwater incinerator, vs. leach field or vault septic. The local water district would prefer that my human waste go back into the ground. I'd rather turn the liquids into fertilizer (struvite) and burn the solids (sometimes not so much, sorry all).

http://www.ecojohn.com/ecojohn_wc.html

It says "diesel fuel" in the marketing blurbs, but speaking with an engineer, recycled cooking oil, kerosene, jet fuel, turpentine-smelling-HMMH-jerry-can-mystery-fuel and what-have-you can all be blended together and still fry turds into oblivion. They also make a garbage incinerator, which requires a catalytic converter, unlike the crap incinerator you can even use for your dog/cat waste, etc.

My jerry can of HMMH mystery fuel/solvent may sit around for a coupla years, but that's what I intend to do with it. :)

BigBison

Yeah, that's a $6K toilet not including shipping from Europe, find me another option that doesn't have a failsafe against burning someone's butt and all the rest? To each his own. My late Dad had one of those Japanese toilets you plumb like a regular toilet, but also plug into the wall for heated seat and heated bidet-spray function so you don't even have to wipe your own a**. Seriously, to each his own, but it isn't just the military that spends too much on toilet seats. ;)

Another Ahab

Yeah, that's a $6K toilet not including shipping from Europe, find me another option that doesn't have a failsafe against burning someone's butt and all the rest? To each his own. My late Dad had one of those Japanese toilets you plumb like a regular toilet, but also plug into the wall for heated seat and heated bidet-spray function so you don't even have to wipe your own a**. Seriously, to each his own, but it isn't just the military that spends too much on toilet seats.
Funny you mention that; what IS the deal with the Japanese and their hi-tech toilets?!

They turned bait into gourmet "sushi", and then turned crapping into space-age technology!

Last edited:

Mark1954

I don't think that is anything new, back in the 60-70's there was an option on some motohomes that would inject the waste slurry into the exhaust strean for incineration. Probably really give the O2 sensors fits now, nevermind the catalytic converter.

Another Ahab

I don't think that is anything new, back in the 60-70's there was an option on some motohomes that would inject the waste slurry into the exhaust strean for incineration. Probably really give the O2 sensors fits now, nevermind the catalytic converter.
Talk about your fits:

-How about the motorcycle rider caught behind one of those things barreling down the road?!

Oh, MAN....

fan_1363375500_600x275.jpg

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't bet on that, Mark. Consider that modern diesels have urea injection installed at the factory.
We don't even need to pee in the tank, but can conveniently fill it up at the pump while getting diesel.
Look at that as step number one. With our ever vigilant green movement, how far can we possibly be from mandating number two into the exhaust system?

Another Ahab

Don't bet on that, Mark. Consider that modern diesels have urea injection installed at the factory.
We don't even need to pee in the tank, but can conveniently fill it up at the pump while getting diesel.
Look at that as step number one. With our ever vigilant green movement, how far can we possibly be from mandating number two into the exhaust system?
Hey, maybe that would knock all the mosquitoes back and then we'd have a solution to the Zika problem!

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, maybe that would knock all the mosquitoes back and then we'd have a solution to the Zika problem!
Suppose that the Zika virus isn't really a problem, but rather nature's way of adapting? It seems that many people's thinking power has been drastically reduced, so maybe Mother Nature is simply downsizing the craniums accordingly.

BigBison

No doubt! Frost line's 6' here. How deep does that trencher go? Maybe not in one pass, but driving a FLU from point A to point B in ultra-granny so I can lay some pipe & conduit over to the homesite would come in right handy. I went with a 12' high wooden tower w/ a 3,000 gallon wood-built (plastic-lined) tank, roofed.

Both pieces come pre-assembled in about 3 weeks (tank's in stock, so are towers except for my wind/snow load made me opt for 10" timbers instead of 8" square), on a flatbed semi. I explained they'll need to come up my driveway off the county road, and continue on to my homesite loop to turn around. So many truckers aren't allowed to exit the county road to cross private land. The well site's right there off the existing, improved driveway across my land to my neighbor's.

I'm hoping my tower & tank aren't undersized. I went with close to the maximum size/weight the HMMH crane can handle. First, unload & set aside the tank. Then, swing the tower into position on the footings getting poured for it next week (8.5' square). Trucker can go. Once it's attached, well, I might have to call the neighbor w/ the 65T truck in to get the tank up on the tower, but it might be possible to set up the crane uphill. Regardless, a real crane truck will be on standby that could get that job done with a *full* 3,000 gallon tank.

Plus a veteran operator acting as my rigger, so I can learn how to place a water-tank tower on footings with the HMMH crane. Or tell me to get the HMMH out of the way and I'm his rigger. :(

Reactions: BFR

Another Ahab

No doubt! Frost line's 6' here. How deep does that trencher go? Maybe not in one pass, but driving a FLU from point A to point B in ultra-granny so I can lay some pipe & conduit over to the homesite would come in right handy. I went with a 12' high wooden tower w/ a 3,000 gallon wood-built (plastic-lined) tank, roofed.
Six foot...
I'm thinking that you all spell the word Winter with a capital "W". :shock::beer:

BigBison

We go by "wire" here. Barbed-wire fences have four wires. Wind blows, so it takes lots of snow to bury a wire. Last Winter was a bona-fide three-wire, several days covered all four wires. This winter has some catching up to do. ;)

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No doubt! Frost line's 6' here. How deep does that trencher go?
That's a good question. From the looks of it, probably four, maybe five feet.
I rarely need to trench, per se, but it looks like a simple way to create new irrigation ditches. I'd only need to go down about a foot and a half, and at that depth there are no rocks to worry about.
From what I've seen, rock equals broken trencher. Broken trencher equals using backhoe. That then makes it quicker and cheaper to instead use the backhoe from the beginning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks