• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

I haven't really had much electrical problems with my SEE. Yet. Just a couple wires here and there. Still not my favorite hobby though. If anyone is listening, reserve me one, and a digital copy as well, if available. If not, I'll go through the trouble to have it digitized in extremely high quality, and make it publicly available. If that's Kosher, pending the completion of the physical copies being sold.

In the mean time...waiting for an old feller I ran into at the gas station to get back with me. He is a diesel mechanic, and his good friend allegedly has experience servicing SEE's when he was in the Army. I'm not brave enough/too smart to be fooling with my fuel pump or injectors and find out why and where it's leaking fuel into the oil. I'll pat myself on the back for what I've done so far...and let someone else who may actually have a clue as to what the heck they're doing take care of that.

On a side note, I read somewhere that there was a plug on, in, or around the clutch (I think that's it), transmission, or axle that was only supposed to be inserted when driving through high water. If left in for regular use and not drained it would allegedly rust out some important parts. Anyone know what I'm talking about, or where it's located, or if this is true? I'm a little hesitant to go pulling plugs out to find out which one it may be, if any.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today's some-progress-report: Finally did a sanitary sweep of the cab of the parts SEE.
Primarily to remove a housing development (installed by rats) on the exhaust manifold to prevent future fires, but also to cleanse it in general.
So I can change the oil, without digging for the dipstick, for example.

Found a chain gauge, tire filler hose, and a pressure gauge still in its package. Might have to dump the shop vac carefully to see what else was in there.

Finally, a dumb thought from last night. How stupid would it be to make a quick attach mount to go on the backhoe, in place of the bucket?
Being able to use pallet forks on the backhoe could have its advantages when moving stuff around. If I'd be a good enough operator to use such a setup is a different story.

Bikers33

Today's some-progress-report: Finally did a sanitary sweep of the cab of the parts SEE.
Primarily to remove a housing development (installed by rats) on the exhaust manifold to prevent future fires, but also to cleanse it in general.
So I can change the oil, without digging for the dipstick, for example.

Found a chain gauge, tire filler hose, and a pressure gauge still in its package. Might have to dump the shop vac carefully to see what else was in there.

Finally, a dumb thought from last night. How stupid would it be to make a quick attach mount to go on the backhoe, in place of the bucket?
Being able to use pallet forks on the backhoe could have its advantages when moving stuff around. If I'd be a good enough operator to use such a setup is a different story.
That's easy, Use adjustable pallet forks designed for use with a crane.

Bikers33

I haven't really had much electrical problems with my SEE. Yet. Just a couple wires here and there. Still not my favorite hobby though. If anyone is listening, reserve me one, and a digital copy as well, if available. If not, I'll go through the trouble to have it digitized in extremely high quality, and make it publicly available. If that's Kosher, pending the completion of the physical copies being sold.

In the mean time...waiting for an old feller I ran into at the gas station to get back with me. He is a diesel mechanic, and his good friend allegedly has experience servicing SEE's when he was in the Army. I'm not brave enough/too smart to be fooling with my fuel pump or injectors and find out why and where it's leaking fuel into the oil. I'll pat myself on the back for what I've done so far...and let someone else who may actually have a clue as to what the heck they're doing take care of that.

On a side note, I read somewhere that there was a plug on, in, or around the clutch (I think that's it), transmission, or axle that was only supposed to be inserted when driving through high water. If left in for regular use and not drained it would allegedly rust out some important parts. Anyone know what I'm talking about, or where it's located, or if this is true? I'm a little hesitant to go pulling plugs out to find out which one it may be, if any.
How much fuel is in the oil? Could be a piston liner walking and could be getting by the pistons, is it making oil?

Skidpad

Flu farm, sounds like you had some great finds! I'm really interested in trying to get a fitting to able to use the side air fittings for a tire filler. If you have the time, could you post a picture of the fitting on the end of the hose? I can't figure out what kind of connection I need to able to use a typical quick connect. I rigged up a

In regards to the quick attach mount on the backhoe, I'm very interested to see how this works out for you. I'm going to contact Lowe products tomorrow to ask them about the specifics for the auger kit that was/is available for use in place of the hoe bucket. Likewise, in the pursuit of the ultimate Swiss army knife, I'm looking into a way to remove the front bucket and rig up a hydraulic PTO motor and 3 point hitch that would be powered from the rear pump. This is going to take some fabrication but i think I've found a supplier of the motor that can make this all a possibility. Being able to have a brush cutter on the front is going to save me a lot of work in the years to come...or I could just rent a skid steer one but where's the fun in that?

How much fuel is in the oil? Could be a piston liner walking and could be getting by the pistons, is it making oil?
At present, none is noticeable in the oil. But if I let it sit for more than a few days without starting it, I have to bleed the rear fuel filter housing (under the hood, not by the fuel tank). Then she purrs. When I first got it and checked the oil, it was like halfway up the dipstick, probably had several extra gallons of fluid in there. And it was very thin. I suppose it could be hydraulic fluid in the oil, and a separate issue with the fuel filter bleeding. I did have to replace a banjo bolt I broke on the rear of the fuel filter housing, so maybe the threads aren't as good of a match as I thought and it's very slowly sucking air. But where would the fuel be going, and why was it so diluted when I got it?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's easy, Use adjustable pallet forks designed for use with a crane.
Well, thank you! I had to look that one up, never having seen one.
Looks like a stick of 2x6 tubing and a few other pieces would be all it takes to build one to work with my existing quick attach pallet forks.
Except for some mechanism to balance the thing with, which would likely be most helpful.

Took the very first step in the process of converting the SEE to a quick attach today, by removing the bucket. At least now the easy part is done.DSCN1256[1].jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flu farm, sounds like you had some great finds! I'm really interested in trying to get a fitting to able to use the side air fittings for a tire filler. If you have the time, could you post a picture of the fitting on the end of the hose? I can't figure out what kind of connection I need to able to use a typical quick connect. I rigged up a

In regards to the quick attach mount on the backhoe, I'm very interested to see how this works out for you. I'm going to contact Lowe products tomorrow to ask them about the specifics for the auger kit that was/is available for use in place of the hoe bucket. Likewise, in the pursuit of the ultimate Swiss army knife, I'm looking into a way to remove the front bucket and rig up a hydraulic PTO motor and 3 point hitch that would be powered from the rear pump. This is going to take some fabrication but i think I've found a supplier of the motor that can make this all a possibility. Being able to have a brush cutter on the front is going to save me a lot of work in the years to come...or I could just rent a skid steer one but where's the fun in that?
Sorry, Skidpad, I missed this post somehow.
The so-called glad hand is standard fare on tractor trailers, and the part facing the camera is what you need to fit the connections on the SEE.

I'll try to remember to dig up a photo of my "sky hook", a gizmo I made to use on the tractor (before having a backhoe or crane) for lifting and moving stuff. The sky hook is one more reason to make a quick attach mount for the backhoe, too. With that extra joint (compared to the crane) I think the pallet forks could be maneuvered into most any position.
Making a setup for the crane is easier, so I'll probably end up making one of each.DSCN1257[1].jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, found a pic. The "sky hook" is the gray part, and made so the spreader bar can be used as pictured, or at the end.
It's set up to use either grab hooks or whatever can plug into a receiver, including a simple 2x2 tubing extension.

Also made a "scraper" for it, which came in handy for cleaning snow and ice out of a dump trailer.DSCN0997[1].jpgDSCN0824[1].jpg

General Hood

At present, none is noticeable in the oil. But if I let it sit for more than a few days without starting it, I have to bleed the rear fuel filter housing (under the hood, not by the fuel tank). Then she purrs. When I first got it and checked the oil, it was like halfway up the dipstick, probably had several extra gallons of fluid in there. And it was very thin. I suppose it could be hydraulic fluid in the oil, and a separate issue with the fuel filter bleeding. I did have to replace a banjo bolt I broke on the rear of the fuel filter housing, so maybe the threads aren't as good of a match as I thought and it's very slowly sucking air. But where would the fuel be going, and why was it so diluted when I got it?
Just as an FYI, I have checked out a number of SEEs at the Texarkana lot, and those I checked all had oil levels above the full mark on the dipstick. Perhaps this is something the govt does for long term storage, but I'm only guessing. Both my SEEs had a gallon more oil in the engine than the recommended amount

General Hood

Okay, found a pic. The "sky hook" is the gray part, and made so the spreader bar can be used as pictured, or at the end.
It's set up to use either grab hooks or whatever can plug into a receiver, including a simple 2x2 tubing extension.

Also made a "scraper" for it, which came in handy for cleaning snow and ice out of a dump trailer.View attachment 644572View attachment 644573

Nice,........... say, is that the actual Midwest in the background?

Skidpad

FLU farm, thanks for those photos and ideas! As far as the air hose goes, I already made up a gladhand quick connect but for the life of me I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong because only one of my gladhands is getting any pressure and that's only when the trailer emergency button is depressed. So, I'll throw my ignorance out there. What am I doing wrong? I connected the gladhand to the rear outlet both to the left and right of the electrical trailer connection. Other than holding the button down to get emergency air, what else is necessary that I haven't done? One buddy who's a heavy equipment operator said I needed to have the parking brake off but I haven't tried that yet. I'm new to all this truck technology and farm implementia. I can weld and fabricate, I can drive and I can dig, but I'm learning the rest of this stuff on the fly.

I'll post photos as the progress goes on everything. Tomorrow night is figuring out more minor electrical gremlins and why the coolant temp gauge is dead.

By the way, the real Midwest looks awfully nice! [thumbzup]

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't driven my Pete in so long that I can't quite remember how the air distribution works, but I think you need to get "trailer supply" active, as in filling its tanks, working. The SEE must have a similar button, which should be the one between the seats, since the trailer brake is the lever by the steering wheel.
Not that I've done it myself yet, but a regular shop type quick disconnect by the tanks is probably the smart way to get an air supply.
Another thing I want to get done is replacing those leaky drain valves with regular small ball valves. ****, I need 48 hour days, and soon.

Skidpad

FLU farm, once again I have to thank you for all your help! I've been digging through the tech manuals and everything I can find does indeed identify the valve between the seats as the Trailer Supply Valve. I'm a little unclear as to haw this all works with both front and rear trailer hookups, service and emergency sides, etc... I agree that just replacing that weird male screw-on fitting on each side of the truck with a typical NPT quick connect would be a preferred option. I guess the worst that can happen is for me to try it...what could possibly go wrong? I'll post pictures...

Yes, these push-in drain valves suck...

BigBison

Hi all! I have two FLU-419s, "Pebbles" is my HMMH, "Bam-Bam" is my SEE (because it came with the jackhammer and rock drill).

I'm adapting the SEE to run the 6600AR snowblower I've decided on:

http://teamco-inc.com/SnowblowerSkidSteerChart.pdf

The main problem with my HMMH is one leaky hydraulic cylinder. Unfortunately, it's one of the two for the boom, and they can't be serviced in place. Apparently it's gotta come off, but I did find a rebuild kit.

I enjoyed speaking with FLU Farm on the phone yesterday, he warns me the hydraulic shop will hate me because these cylinders are hard to rebuild, and hard to get disassembled because apparently lots of lok-tite was used to assemble them?

Today's task is getting my pickup-truck service crane operating again, so we'll have a way to remove/reinstall the cylinder without me or my helper hurting our bad backs wrangling it on & off.

Bikers33

Hi all! I have two FLU-419s, "Pebbles" is my HMMH, "Bam-Bam" is my SEE (because it came with the jackhammer and rock drill).

The main problem with my HMMH is one leaky hydraulic cylinder. Unfortunately, it's one of the two for the boom, and they can't be serviced in place. Apparently it's gotta come off, but I did find a rebuild kit.

I enjoyed speaking with FLU Farm on the phone yesterday, he warns me the hydraulic shop will hate me because these cylinders are hard to rebuild, and hard to get disassembled because apparently lots of lok-tite was used to assemble them?

Today's task is getting my pickup-truck service crane operating again, so we'll have a way to remove/reinstall the cylinder without me or my helper hurting our bad backs wrangling it on & off.
Could also use your SEE

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The see I have here after all the see fixing I need to make a adapter to mount a auger in place of the bucket and either find a place to tap into the backhoe plumbing or use the auxiliary hyds.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter

That's an interesting snow blower setup. Makes sense now that I've seen the picture of it. It'll also be interesting to find out how the SEE deals with its hunger for volume and pressure.
The one I ordered will supposedly run on down to 18 gpm.

Oh, and by the way, you technically don't have two FLU419s. One is a FLU10344.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks