• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

BigBison

Thankfully I'm down to the last grease cartridge, so not much more lubing until another case is ordered and delivered.
Hurts my surgically-repaired hand. Hey, spacebar works again! :) Along the lines of using the Mog to work on the Mog, I've been shopping for a hydraulic grease gun.

Also, if anyone has a simple answer on what winch bolts right up to the HMMH crane's winch mount, that'd be swell. The construction manual for the Quonset hut I have coming, is pretty specific on not using a crane. If I had a winch that was, say, 12' up in the air otoh, I'd be good to go. Snow's coming, so I'd be real happy if it didn't take me a week or two to figure out how to get a winch on the HMMH crane!

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hurts my surgically-repaired hand. Hey, spacebar works again! :) Along the lines of using the Mog to work on the Mog, I've been shopping for a hydraulic grease gun.

Also, if anyone has a simple answer on what winch bolts right up to the HMMH crane's winch mount, that'd be swell. The construction manual for the Quonset hut I have coming, is pretty specific on not using a crane. If I had a winch that was, say, 12' up in the air otoh, I'd be good to go. Snow's coming, so I'd be real happy if it didn't take me a week or two to figure out how to get a winch on the HMMH crane!
Bison, it hurts my hands, too, but while I have a "cordless" grease gun I prefer feeling how/if the grease goes in.

If there's a winch mount on the crane, I've missed it. But the good news is that most electric winches share a common bolt pattern.
I'm guessing that they don't want you to use a crane due to the potential of sudden movement, but at least mine can be operated quite gingerly. And that's by me, so a good operator should be able to make very precise movements.
Worst case, why don't you hang a snatch block on the hook on the crane, then use a winch equipped vehicle as the actual lifter? I'd be careful about pulling too much from the side, though.

Mark1954

I don't know if it will help, but we used an excavator as a 'crane' by welding 2 loops to the back of the bucket, with complementary loops on a backing plate for the winch, put a 1 1/2" pin through it to hold it on while in use. We had a remote control, but changed to the wired control for more reliability. I will try to get pictures this weekend. We also have McGyvered an engine hoist to lift 900 lb steel beams when overhead lifting was not otherwise possible. (We were inside an underground building) Don't laugh, built a 2 story home underground with that ridiculous looking rig. Physics and loading in a vertical lift are the same on a 4' or 14' lift. We used the scaffolding on wheels for hoizontal moves.

Attachments

Last edited:

BigBison

I may actually be about to order a winch for my Dodge Cummins, only problem is it's meant for wreckers & trailers not pickups so it doesn't have a "standard" winch mount:

http://info.piercearrowinc.com/hubf...SS-0-0013_PSW654_8HK_Spec.pdf?t=1477068520600
http://jacksbumpers.com/

I think we can fab up a custom mount on the locally-sourced bumper, and de-rate the winch with a smaller hydraulic motor, for now. I can always go PTO, but for the time being it makes sense to run it off the power steering, which I'm upgrading. My truck's a manual, so Mopar's stock auto-tranny cooler bolts right up as a power-steering cooler. Plus, upgraded steering = more HydroBoost braking power, given the slightly-larger wheels and next-gen big-brake upgrade. Fully rated, the winch wants 15gpm @2000psi, the updated PS pump delivers 5gpm @1600psi. I'm expecting an engineer to call (made in Texas), the sales guy says psi is more important than gpm but also that 1750psi may be a minimum but don't quote him on that... which the PS pump can be further modded to make, but can the steering box & HydroBoost handle that mod? Maybe. All a big maybe, kinda like a hoist for the HMMH crane!

I don't understand the nuances of winch design, but truck winches are designed for the cable to be parallel with the ground, not heading skyward... that's a job for a hoist. Truck winches are also rated for much higher loads than the HMMH crane can lift. Next time I come across the "optional equipment" page in the FLU manual, I'll bookmark it, because I'm sure it shows a properly-sized hoist mounted on that tab up on the crane boom. The other difference would be speed -- my potential truck winch, derated with a smaller hydraulic motor, would take several minutes to pivot up a Quonset-hut arch (why arches are pulled up, not lifted up w/ a crane, is they need to pivot to avoid folding, or so I'm told). A proper hoist for that weight, could go much faster.

The main job for my truck winch, will be raising & lowering an 80' collapsible windmill tower twice a year for maintenance. It's the lowering part that makes me want a worm gear instead of a brake, especially as the load nears the ground after maybe 15 minutes. A much smaller hoist on the HMMH crane, can have a much faster line speed. I can think of other tasks that aren't so easy with a knuckleboom crane w/o a hoist. I don't know what to call that eyelet up on the crane boom, other than an attachment point for *something*.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know what to call that eyelet up on the crane boom, other than an attachment point for *something*.
I put a shackle in that eyelet, should I need to lift something at close range and/or very heavy. Never imagined turning into a winch mount.

Thought more about how to use a regular winch with the HMMH last night (that's how I stay sleep deprived) and came to the conclusion that a second snatch block, tied to the pintle hook with a short chain, should do the trick. That way the forces on the crane stay in line with it, and any lateral force will be applied to the pintle hook where it doesn't matter nearly as much.

That Pierce winch is interesting, as in "Wow, they still make those?!?", but for efficiency I think the MileMarker would be better. That one is apparently perfected for running off a measly P/S pump. And it's hard to go wrong with a Warn.
Still, I understand your concern about relying on a brake, but for repeatedly moving something 80-plus feet, I'd look into a capstan winch.
If you do end up with the Pierce, it should be fairly simple to modify a standard winch mount for the Dodge.

Mark, I love that oversize engine hoist! Wish I'd thought of something like that a long time ago.

Another Ahab

(We were inside an underground building) Don't laugh, built a 2 story home underground with that rediculous looking rig. Physics and loading in a vertical lift are the same on a 4' or 14' lift. We used the scaffolding on wheels for hoizontal moves.
That's a cool idea. It looks like you all used a petroleum tank as the structure for the underground house. Is that what that is?

Mark1954

I put a shackle in that eyelet, should I need to lift something at close range and/or very heavy. Never imagined turning into a winch mount.

Thought more about how to use a regular winch with the HMMH last night (that's how I stay sleep deprived) and came to the conclusion that a second snatch block, tied to the pintle hook with a short chain, should do the trick. That way the forces on the crane stay in line with it, and any lateral force will be applied to the pintle hook where it doesn't matter nearly as much.

That Pierce winch is interesting, as in "Wow, they still make those?!?", but for efficiency I think the MileMarker would be better. That one is apparently perfected for running off a measly P/S pump. And it's hard to go wrong with a Warn.
Still, I understand your concern about relying on a brake, but for repeatedly moving something 80-plus feet, I'd look into a capstan winch.
If you do end up with the Pierce, it should be fairly simple to modify a standard winch mount for the Dodge.

Mark, I love that oversize engine hoist! Wish I'd thought of something like that a long time ago.
Can't claim credit for that, my contractor/friend is a real renaissance man and came up with that. Just be sure and add some outriggers to broaden the base side to side and put casters on there, you need to fabricate the long supports in the back as well. Everything was straight bolt on, and removed when finished so it could continue life as an engine hoist...although if anyone has a Monster Truck with a blown motor...

We just used straight winches for the lifting (I know, I know) but with a 4:1 or 12:1 capacity to load ratio and appropriate safety precautions (no one in line of fall or rebound area from a cable break) we never had any issues in 15 months of use and probably 1,000 lifts or drops.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Completely off any subject, except the aforementioned sleep deprivation, how about a SEE meet sometime in the spring or summer?
It looks like there is quite a few of us within a 400 or so mile radius.
I'm sure that General Hood wouldn't mind if we met up at his place, for example, and had few contests such as digging up his garden. Timed, of course.
Okay, we better not ruin his supply of carrots, as dim as those work lights are, but other than that, what could we possibly do wrong?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright, here's one for peakbagger or speedwoble who seems to have answers for most anything.
Inspired by General Hoods success, today I decided to finally perform the simple task of replacing the battery disconnect switch. Only two bolts and two wires, easy enough, right? NOT!

I can see the wire connections, one from the left, the other from the right. I can also feel them by reaching in from the front, after removing the doghouse. But how the heck do I get to them?!?

At first I tried the small panel it's housed in, next to the trailer brake knob and the God-knows-what-it's-for mega wire connector. Nope, that one won't come off, or allow access.
Then I tried the big panel. Nope, loosening those screws only allows it to drop down, which doesn't help any. Obviously it helps when tilting the cab, but not for getting to the switch.
Yes, the panel is larger than the hole on top, so short of dropping the transmission, I'm too stupid to figure this out.
Help, please!

Another Ahab

Completely off any subject, except the aforementioned sleep deprivation, how about a SEE meet sometime in the spring or summer?
It looks like there is quite a few of us within a 400 or so mile radius.
I'm sure that General Hood wouldn't mind if we met up at his place, for example, and had few contests such as digging up his garden. Timed, of course.
Okay, we better not ruin his supply of carrots, as dim as those work lights are, but other than that, what could we possibly do wrong?
Best likely not to bring him any of your own SEE rats (that's not C-Rations by the way).

I think he already has enough of his own (and besides he's running running out of wire to feed them).

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best likely not to bring him any of your own SEE rats (that's not C-Rations by the way).

I think he already has enough of his own (and he's alreadyrunning out of wire).
I bought some Fresh Cab today, based on earlier recommendations. Should we end up at Hood's place, I will come armed with lots of it, plus traps, poison, a .22, and whatever else I might need to keep his rodents away from my machine.

Alright. Todays lesson...

If you've primed your beast for like 2 dam hours and she still won't run steady, check the fuel tank. Sometimes you'll have to add more in it, it can actually run dry. Even when it looks 25%+ full.

Also, the ether cylinder in my SEE is from these folks. Supposed to be top notch stuff, has a lubricant in it so as to prevent damage. Let me know if we are planning a bulk buy, I'd take a couple.

http://www.koldban.com/KBi_Ether_Cylinders_s/3.htm

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best likely not to bring him any of your own SEE rats (that's not C-Rations by the way). I think he already has enough of his own (and besides he's running running out of wire to feed them).
The more I think about it, the more likely it seems that "General Hood" really should be "General Foods". And he now needs a parts SEE to provide enough food.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks