• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm also considering splitting the hood in half and using clips...
Now, that is a good idea, FOD. I'm picturing cutting it just a bit to the left of center, leaving the factory hold-downs intact.
Then making tabs for the left (and probably most often removed) part that would go underneath the right half.
With the center portions secured that way, either a tab at the bottom corner (as I had originally planned on) and a Jeep-style latch, or no tab and two latches.

I'd have to look at the inside of a steel hood, but in case it would become too flimsy after cutting it in half, a "fin" along the edge of the cut would stabilize it.
If there's little or no room inside, that fin could go on the outside and also serve as the base for joining the two halves. With a fin on each half, of course.
Dang it, FOD, halving the hood is such an intriguing idea and I won't have time to try it for quite a while.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

It is amazing how little room there is between the loader and the hood to work with. I'm also considering splitting the hood in half and using clips like you described FLU farm. It would be a **** of a lot easier to get it in and out if you only had to manhandle half of it around the loader.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Wishing you, and everybody here, a blessed Thanksgiving!

And what's the deal with Daimler not designing-and-building a hood that fits properly over the engine compartment?

That doesn't sound right (you know German engineering and all). What gives?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's alive! Thanks largely to Ahab, who made me ditch some other chores and hook things up for a test run of the snowblower.DSCN1480[1].jpg

Getting to the quick disconnects wasn't all that easy, and with the spare in place would've been harder yet. Still, the 50/50 chance worked out, and the blower is turning the correct way.DSCN1473[1].jpg Whoulda thunk!?!

There's still work to do, such as creating the electrical connections for operating the chute and modifying the quick attach some. Seems I ended up with the slow attach version. Alright, I never did grind any of the square cut edges or weld wings to the blower portion, both of which helps immensely when there's only 1/8-inch difference in width between the two parts. And the operator is crappy.DSCN1479[1].jpg

Either way, I'll sleep better tonight knowing that at least it turns. Ran at 1,600 rpm for a while and nothing seemed to get overly warm.
A happy Thanksgiving indeed.

General Hood

It's alive! Thanks largely to Ahab, who made me ditch some other chores and hook things up for a test run of the snowblower.View attachment 655456

Getting to the quick disconnects wasn't all that easy, and with the spare in place would've been harder yet. Still, the 50/50 chance worked out, and the blower is turning the correct way.View attachment 655457 Whoulda thunk!?!

There's still work to do, such as creating the electrical connections for operating the chute and modifying the quick attach some. Seems I ended up with the slow attach version. Alright, I never did grind any of the square cut edges or weld wings to the blower portion, both of which helps immensely when there's only 1/8-inch difference in width between the two parts. And the operator is crappy.View attachment 655458

Either way, I'll sleep better tonight knowing that at least it turns. Ran at 1,600 rpm for a while and nothing seemed to get overly warm.
Looks good Flu Farm

Bikers33

It's alive! Thanks largely to Ahab, who made me ditch some other chores and hook things up for a test run of the snowblower.View attachment 655456

Getting to the quick disconnects wasn't all that easy, and with the spare in place would've been harder yet. Still, the 50/50 chance worked out, and the blower is turning the correct way.View attachment 655457 Whoulda thunk!?!

There's still work to do, such as creating the electrical connections for operating the chute and modifying the quick attach some. Seems I ended up with the slow attach version. Alright, I never did grind any of the square cut edges or weld wings to the blower portion, both of which helps immensely when there's only 1/8-inch difference in width between the two parts. And the operator is crappy.View attachment 655458

We require Video Confirmation of this awesome project!! Please.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We require Video Confirmation of this awesome project!! Please.
Sorry, Biker, but welding and grinding is one thing...videos and such a completely different matter. Guess which one I'm more comfortable with, and have the equipment for?
Besides, I have already rethought the current setup. Either I modify the 'blower's mounting setup (the quick attach) and it goes on the forklift, or if I can get my hands on a spare loader (no bucket needed) I'll modify both.
Although, whichever way it goes, it won't be until next spring/summer/fall. And maybe I can learn something from Bison's setup, which may be close to done.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A worthwhile option?
Not only could it be a decent anti-theft device (as if a FLU would be easy to steal), but I like to look at it as cruise control for the steering.DSCN1495[1].jpg

Last edited:

burquedoka

I though it about time to show off my two Mogs. The HMMH is new to me, only had her for a couple weeks. I'm loving having it, finally able to stop figuring out how to "Egyptian" all my heavy crap around the property. So far she's a cream puff, other than the over zealous black spray paint job done by the last owner, that is soon to be fixed. The other Mog is my 1550L37 DoKa ex Scottish fire brigade truck, my old faithful, and I love her so.....

Attachments

Last edited:

Mark1954

I though it about time to show off my two Mogs. The HMMH is new to me, only had her for a couple weeks. I'm loving having it, finally able to stop figuring out how to "Egyptian" all my heavy crap around the property. So far she's a cream puff, other than the over zealous black spray paint job done by the last owner, that is soon to be fixed. The other Mog is my 1550L37 DoKa ex Scottish fire brigade truck, my old faithful, and I love her so.....
Very cool, both should serve you well when the snow flies.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I though it about time to show off my two Mogs.

The other Mog is my 1550L37 DoKa ex Scottish fire brigade truck, my old faithful....
Interesting how the newer 1550L37 has a much more square body and a flat windshield. In comparison, the green (literally) HMMH sports far better aerodynamics, and being smaller it should also handle better.
Now I'm finally starting to understand why Bison is treating his HMMH like a sports car. Compared to the 1550L37, it is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks