• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

bigmanche

I have not logged on to Steel Soldiers in a while and just reading the thread made my laugh because I have sorted through many of the issues people are discussing. Hopefully I can help some people with the knowledge I have gained and learn a thing or two my self. I have quite the collection of parts and hydraulic tools (impacts, jackhammers, rotary drills, chainsaws, auger) if anyone is interested also. I have been a long time military truck enthusiast and own a M35a2 and 923a1.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...I have sorted through many of the issues people are discussing. Hopefully I can help some people with the knowledge I have gained...
Perfect, then please tell me what's going on (or more correctly, not going on) with the fuel delivery system on my SEE.
Today I tried with an electric fuel pump ahead of the fuel valve, which does fill up the strainer, but nothing makes it to the bleeder screws on top.
Originally that pump was plumbed in to help me find air leaks, but apparently they are not the real reason this SEE only wants to run about 10 minutes at a time.
Or is it that the injector pump blocks the flow? If so, the primer pump should still be able to deliver fuel, helped by the electric pump, right?

Migginsbros

I have not logged on to Steel Soldiers in a while and just reading the thread made my laugh because I have sorted through many of the issues people are discussing. Hopefully I can help some people with the knowledge I have gained and learn a thing or two my self. I have quite the collection of parts and hydraulic tools (impacts, jackhammers, rotary drills, chainsaws, auger) if anyone is interested also. I have been a long time military truck enthusiast and own a M35a2 and 923a1.
Welcome back. The auger is the tool that we´r missing in our collection. Post some pics so we can at least have a look on it.

bigmanche

It sounds like air is definitely getting into the system somewhere. It sounds like it could be the gaskets of the filter cups or a small pinhole in the line somewhere. You may try and pressurize the tank through the breather and spray soapy water. I had the smallest hole in one of the lines that was not noticeable at all and did not drip fuel, replaced the line and have not had a problem since.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like air is definitely getting into the system somewhere. It sounds like it could be the gaskets of the filter cups or a small pinhole in the line somewhere. You may try and pressurize the tank through the breather and spray soapy water. I had the smallest hole in one of the lines that was not noticeable at all and did not drip fuel, replaced the line and have not had a problem since.
Plumbing in the electrical pump was my way of pressurizing the system. It's a low pressure pump (3 psi, or so) but that should still be enough to force fuel out, rather than air getting in.
Now it acts as if the line is plugged somewhere after the strainer, since no fuel makes it up to the bleeders. Guess I'll disconnect them and find out, next time it's that SEE's turn to get some attention.

peakbagger

Does anyone know how to bleed the brake system on the FLU419?
I haven't done it yet (but probably should), its a standard hydraulic brake system, it just uses compressed air in place a vacuum in the brake booster. I have seen suggestions that a pressure bleeder is the way to go rather than the old fashioned way of someone opening the bleeder screw then having another person push down on the pedal, then the bleeder screw is closed and the pedal is let up, repeat many times on each bleeder until there are no bubbles.

johnjohn

Do you think if the system was dry when I received it, due to sun damage on the elbows the master cylinder is shot? Does the system need air to bleed or just pump the brakes with they unit off? I did buy a vacuum and it appears to have sucked the lines empty, but then stopped. Never saw the new pink fluid I put in????

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somewhat on subject, I remember reading that the brake system could be damaged if driving without the air pressure built up.
Not liking to idle engines, I always drive off right away, even if the SEE has sat long enough to have lost nearly all its pressure. Not that I usually use the brakes for a while, but I always wondered what would/could go wrong if applying the brakes without the air assist.
As peakbagger points out, it's a regular brake system, with the exception of using pressure rather than vacuum. Or hydroboost, for that matter.

The official cross body air line repair is stainless so put a magnet on it. If it isn't magnetic its probably stainless.
The magnet sticks, so it's not stainless. But it's definitely not painted either, so it must have been replaced previously.

Despite its present problems, my SEE was obviously maintained. Some of the hydraulic hoses are nearly new, and 4 new hydraulic pistons. New fuel tank (zero rust compared to everything around it), repaired (welded) footwells on both sides. The list goes on....

And I didn't need to pressurize the air system with an external source after all. My leaking airtank drain valve had a deformed seating surface (like someone used it for an anvil), so I just filled it with Barge cement and put it back in finger-tight. It will need a more permanent solution, but in the meantime the air system fully pressurized for the first time, and several air-actuated mechanisms, like 4wd, came to life. I was finally able to air up the tires and take it for its first drive around the block. It was a good morning working on the FLU today!

Last edited:

alpine44

Greetings everyone,

I am planning to get a FLU419 out of Texarkana. It has to go to either Asheville, NC or to Elkton, MD.
Does anyone have any leads for someone who could transport the FLU419 at reasonable cost?

Thanks.

Greetings everyone,

I am planning to get a FLU419 out of Texarkana. It has to go to either Asheville, NC or to Elkton, MD.
Does anyone have any leads for someone who could transport the FLU419 at reasonable cost?

Thanks.
I had a very good experience using simp5782. He has a good working relationship with the folks running the yards down there, and has hauled quite a few FLUs. He is out of TN and is pretty quick to reply if you message him.

Bikers33

Does anyone know how to bleed the brake system on the FLU419?
Pressure feed is the best, I do it with my air powered Mite-Vac. Follow the list 1 thru 9 one at a time and keep adding fluid.
Have fun.....
1- Master cylinder 2 places
2- Right rear caliper
3- Left rear caliper
4- Right rear front caliper
5- Left rear front caliper
6- ALB modulator
7- Right front caliper
8- Left front caliper
9- Clutch slave cylinder

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks