• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

Kayjef

Hey what's up guys. I am new to the FLU-419 thing.

I am purchasing one currently and doing some research.

My main question is can you buy replaceable buckets for the backhoe? From what I have been reading it seems like the loader is a unique piece but is the backhoe universal? I want to be able to dig holes as well as pick up rocks/logs so I want a bucket with some clamping fingers.

I guess I could pick up a universal thumb and weld it to it, but a clamping one would be cool.

Thanks

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many Case buckets fit the 580C on the SEE. It seems to be quite common.
To make the hydraulics accommodate a grapple will take a bit of extra work, but nothing big from what I understand. I bought a simple weld-on thumb for the times I need it.
Which after getting a rock bucket with a grapple for the loader may not be often.
Oh, and welcome to the madness.

peakbagger

Many Case buckets fit the 580C on the SEE. It seems to be quite common.
To make the hydraulics accommodate a grapple will take a bit of extra work, but nothing big from what I understand. I bought a simple weld-on thumb for the times I need it.
Which after getting a rock bucket with a grapple for the loader may not be often.
Oh, and welcome to the madness.
Ask him about his adventure in removing the pin :)

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't tried it myself (I may be brain dead, but not dead), but from what I've read, no it's not advised.
Makes sense, though. With big old honking weights front and rear, one helps balance the other one out.

Kayjef

Any of you guys know a part number for the hydraulically operated wastewater pump and post hole digger/auger are? I would love to have both! Google machine doesn't give me any answers.

Also thanks for the case 580 hint. Looks like I will just buy a thumb for it and rock it that way for a while. I think I am going to eventually buy the ebay skidsteer attachment adapter and rock skidsteer attachments.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEE-Tractor-FLU419-Universal-skidsteer-quick-attach-coupler-/122385582847

Or at that price I may just build it myself.

Last edited:

peakbagger

I haven't, there is a video somewhere on You Tube of a SEE user driving to a tractor pull event with the loader removed. The manuals specifically warn against it. With that major warning out of the way, the center of gravity of the backhoe in travel position appears to be between the wheels. Effectively its like running a flatbed with a heavy load. With the loader removed I expect the brake bias between the front and rear wheels is way off as the CG of the SEE has shifted backwards. This will also impact the steering as the weight is shifted back from the front wheels leading to big time understeer. This is made worse by the short wheel base and long suspension travel. I have driven mine at road speed with the loader and backhoe and there is a front to rear pitching oscillation that can set up. I expect the pitching is less with the loader removed but when the weight shifts backwards there is going to be far less load on the front tires making the steering really dicey.

The loader on the other hand is definitely well ahead of the front wheel and is counter balanced by the backhoe, I expect attempting to run the SEE with the backhoe removed with the loader attached is a death wish as attempting the use the brakes could make the whole rig pitch forward. If you look at the Unimog 406 which the SEE is based off of, when a plow blade is fitted there has to be a very heavy counterweight attached in the rear.

Ideally if someone really needed to run without the loader, they would probably want to consider putting ballast on the front bumper to restore the balance to the SEE.

Trying to actually operate the backhoe without the loader attached is probably an invitation for serious injury.

General Hood

Hey what's up guys. I am new to the FLU-419 thing.

I am purchasing one currently and doing some research.

My main question is can you buy replaceable buckets for the backhoe? From what I have been reading it seems like the loader is a unique piece but is the backhoe universal? I want to be able to dig holes as well as pick up rocks/logs so I want a bucket with some clamping fingers.

I guess I could pick up a universal thumb and weld it to it, but a clamping one would be cool.

Thanks
Welcome to the forum Kayjef, post up some photos of your SEE when time allows

anthkey

well I got her open..
the leak appears to be coming from the "HI,LOW, REVERSE " Boot... looks like been leaking for a wile... should there be a clamp at the top?
does not state in the manual...TM 5-2420-224-20-2.... pg471-474..leak boot.jpgleak.jpgopen.jpgtrany leak.jpg
4x4 was not engaging... going to take switch apart and clean

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks