• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

anthkey

Exactly. I never did understand the obsession with getting a FLU registered. Even if I did drive it on the road only, I wouldn't (dare to) drive so fast that a triangle wouldn't be legit.
It's not that they wouldn't register one here, they'd be glad to take my money. It's just easier not to. And while I haven't got around to put a triangle on a FLU, around here nobody cares.

On your IBC tote, are you running gravity feed or a pump?
A buddy gave me a 12v pump , so I mounted it to it....

anthkey

I hear you guys and promise not to just hop in the cab, push the starter button and blast off. As part of a thorough pre-flight inspection all fluid levels will be checked and all drive-line, suspension, and brake components will be inspected as much as possible. If there are any safety-critical squawks, then we will call this a sightseeing trip to Atlanta and worry about the retrieval of the FLU419 later.

When I look back at my life, it is clearly the "breakdowns on the road" that were the memorable events, the experiences that built character, knowledge, and friendships with people I would otherwise have never met. This started right after graduation as a mechanical engineer with a flight to Johannesburg, South Africa where a friend and I put a Ford inline six under the hood of a Landrover, replaced the seals on the front axle joints and a couple other drive-line issues before spending the next 2 month driving back to Aachen, Germany. I learned a lot on that trip about properly designing and welding custom engine mounts, tuning a leaf spring suspension for maximum ride comfort (if there is even such a thing as comfort in a classic Landrover), and met a lot of interesting shops and folks along the way. Most importantly I learned the value of patience in cultures where "inshalla" does not necessarily mean tomorrow but definitely "not today".

From there on I looked at every aspect in life as a journey of continuous improvement, not as a quest for destinations of imaginary perfection. As long as I experience the sun rise in the morning, nothing is ever completely broken nor is anything ever perfect. In today's world it may appear that cars are either perfectly running along or "broken down". But I can still feel the nuances that the book 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' touches. There are days where the diesel in my boxtruck cannot find its own rhythm and then I think about taking the injectors out and having them gone over. The next day the same engine purrs along like a Swiss clockwork and I decided to leave things alone until the rough days get more frequent.

As a pilot I have never flown an airplane where everything was 100%. What I care about is that the systems are "sufficiently safe" to start the flight and that things are not deteriorating too quickly during the flight. Which is exactly the same issue with weather, traffic, and my own performance.

Ironically, friends and colleagues from different practical and philosophical backgrounds who insisted on perfection have had more catastrophic breakdowns in various aspects of their lives over the decades. I think that an awareness and acceptance of living in an imperfect and ambiguous world avoids or drastically shortens the denial phase when things start to go south. Whether it is on the road, in the air, on the job, or in relationships, 90+% of the "explosion" occur because we chose to ignore the early warning signs. (The remaining portion - like getting cancer - is largely unaffected by even the best preparations and reactions).

In the end, I may decide to put the FLU419 on a truck but why should I now limit my options to grudgingly writing a check in my office and then cursing to myself while fixing nit-pick items in my garage if a reasonably smooth journey of discovery and improvement is not yet out of question? Also, if predictability would be my goal in life, I would have bought a Case, JD, etc. backhoe.

Please keep the suggestions coming of what to bring and what to check to increase my odds of getting home without major "explosions".
Where is the unit at in Atlanta ? I live in Cumming ga..and when are you planing this pilgrimage??? I have been all over my unit for 3 weeks now like a french monkey...might be able to meet you, and or go look at it..?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A buddy gave me a 12v pump , so I mounted it to it....
Perfect. I have one 12 Volt that is okay (it was cheap, but not as cheap as yours) with alligator clips, and two that I did wire with clips but ended up connecting to a battery with a small solar charger.
How well the latter will work in the long run remains to be seen. For now it's just like pulling up at the station, grab the nozzle and pump away. I like that.

anthkey

Perfect. I have one 12 Volt that is okay (it was cheap, but not as cheap as yours) with alligator clips, and two that I did wire with clips but ended up connecting to a battery with a small solar charger.
How well the latter will work in the long run remains to be seen. For now it's just like pulling up at the station, grab the nozzle and pump away. I like that.
The 419 MOGG will run for a good wile on a full tank.... so I just pull the lawn mower out and hook and pump, I have a small solar panel, thought about that with a battery out there.. just not done yet....

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please keep the suggestions coming of what to bring and what to check to increase my odds of getting home without major "explosions".
A couple of more things came to mind as I placed another order for fuel hose and associated parts at Bel-Metric; It couldn't hurt to bring a few feet of that plastic fuel hose, a nut or two, and some ferrules. If you talk to Matt, he can suggest what to bring better than I can.
The stuff is dirt cheap, weighs practically nothing, and takes very little space, so you have no real excuse not to.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 419 MOGG will run for a good wile on a full tank.... so I just pull the lawn mower out and hook and pump, I have a small solar panel, thought about that with a battery out there.. just not done yet....
Funny. My totes are behind a lawnmower, too. I had the battery and solar panel laying around, so why not put them to use?

peakbagger

One more thing regarding the spare, spray penetrant on the bolts that hold it to the frame during the initial walk around. Getting any leverage on that bent handle is difficult and unless you have A torch and want to do some damage its isn't coming off unless that rod unscrews. Same with the lug nuts on the wheels, they can be rusted on. I expect many a breaker bar has been bent getting the wheels off.

My ether method consist of A long stick with several kitchen matches attached at the end. I give it spray and then back off and ignite it with the stick so I got some distance between me and the tire. During a couple of events the tires popped onto the bead and then a few seconds later popped off the bead when the hot gases inside the tire cooled down. I have an air chuck ready to go and as soon as it pops I hit it with air. (I really want to buy one of the air powered bead poppers!)

Special T

One more thing regarding the spare, spray penetrant on the bolts that hold it to the frame during the initial walk around. Getting any leverage on that bent handle is difficult and unless you have A torch and want to do some damage its isn't coming off unless that rod unscrews. Same with the lug nuts on the wheels, they can be rusted on. I expect many a breaker bar has been bent getting the wheels off.

My ether method consist of A long stick with several kitchen matches attached at the end. I give it spray and then back off and ignite it with the stick so I got some distance between me and the tire. During a couple of events the tires popped onto the bead and then a few seconds later popped off the bead when the hot gases inside the tire cooled down. I have an air chuck ready to go and as soon as it pops I hit it with air. (I really want to buy one of the air powered bead poppers!)
I made a redneck bead blaster out of a propane tank. One of the 7-8 gallon kind that has 2, 3/4" inlets. On one I purchased an air tank adaptor that has a pressure relief valve and a port to attach an air hose or coupler. Using the other 3/4" hole I put in a ball valve. I played with a few different designs but found a steel coupler that went from 3/4-2" then mashed a short section of 2"to direct the air to the bead. Combined with removing the valve core in the stem and a screw on coupler it is sufficient for 4x4 tires. It may be less than optimal for larger tires, as a commercial cheetah bead blaster has a 1.5-2" restriction and ball valve. My built was less than $50 a cheetah blaster runs about $400

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

alpine44

A couple of more things came to mind as I placed another order for fuel hose and associated parts at Bel-Metric; It couldn't hurt to bring a few feet of that plastic fuel hose, a nut or two, and some ferrules. If you talk to Matt, he can suggest what to bring better than I can.
The stuff is dirt cheap, weighs practically nothing, and takes very little space, so you have no real excuse not to.
Several feet of the original fuel and air lines plus unions is on my list. Thanks for pointing out where I can source that.

alpine44

Where is the unit at in Atlanta ? I live in Cumming ga..and when are you planing this pilgrimage??? I have been all over my unit for 3 weeks now like a french monkey...might be able to meet you, and or go look at it..?
We should definitely use this opportunity to meet in person. The week after Memorial Day is marked on our calendar for this trip.

If you are heading to Atlanta in the meantime and want to look at the FLU419, please PM.

We look at this trip as mini vacation during which I may retrieve the FLU419. By preparing accordingly I want to have that option. If driving this machine to Asheville does not look like a wise choice, we will check out some things in and around Atlanta or drive back into the mountains and spend some time there. Knowing that there was no alternative, will make it less painful to pay a trucking company for the retrieval.

In any case, we should get together in GA.

Last edited:

General Hood

Basically fun, but it can be work (outstanding) to dig and drive 9.oo - 17.oo depends on the weather.:smile:
With old kid´s like us and the younger once.View attachment 679670View attachment 679671View attachment 679672View attachment 679673Some SEE pics from

last
event named "Historic Construction Area".View attachment 679674 View attachment 679675View attachment 679676

Very cool, I think you just gave me the inspiration needed to crawl under my SEE here at the house and diagnose the 57th issue since I've owned it. Then I can practice digging a fallout shelter in my wife's garden spot. Thanks for posting up the photos

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool, I think you just gave me the inspiration needed to crawl under my SEE here at the house and diagnose the 57th issue since I've owned it. Then I can practice digging a fallout shelter in my wife's garden spot. Thanks for posting up the photos
You're finally going to stop working on the chicken coop and pay some much needed attention to your poor SEE?!? What has this world come to?

Another Ahab

The next one won't come alone.

Also they just might not be worth hiding from (they're big now, REAL big).

You might be better off just buying a good cup of coffee now, and enjoying the immediate gratification. :mrgreen:

ABC.gif

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks