• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

alpine44

Very cool, it almost looks like you could eventually charge admission
They do have gravel pits in Germany, where you can rent construction equipment and off-road vehicles for fun.

Last year in Bozeman, MT we went to 'Digger Days', a fundraiser where you could tear up some dirt with excavators for $50 admission. It was a sold-out event.

There is something deeply satisfying about operating construction/heavy equipment unless it is your daily job or duty.

Last edited:
Some pics from the visit in the gravel pit.View attachment 680439View attachment 680441View attachment 680440
Not only the kids also the friends had fun with the big toysView attachment 680442View attachment 680443View attachment 680444
The Pirelli tires work good in sand and on "autobahn"View attachment 680445View attachment 680446
Now its time to get a seal kit for the stabilizerView attachment 680447and we must find out a scrary noise while using the wipers.
Look how we can get any grease to the bushings or the rods.
How do you like those Pirelli tires? Do they improve on-road handling?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plugged fitting is on the right side bucket pivot If I am standing behind the SEE. I assume that there is grease hole cross drilled perpendicular to the main bore hole?

...in theory I should be running road diesel to get there but once I am there I expect I will be running most of my fuel. I believe the concept was that the engine oil addition to the road fuel would potentially mask any traces of the red dye used for off road after I switched the system back to road diesel and let it run for awhile?
Yep, there's a perpendicular hole in the pin, meant to channel fresh grease to the bushing surface. It was that hole I had to drill the gunk out of. No Zerk tool would've ever made that passage passable again. Maybe a small detonation would've done the job, but at the expense of the tolerances between the pin and bushing. Of course, you mentioned that yours is already loose...
I had no explosives handy, but do have snap ring pliers, so I took the less violent approach.
While it makes perfect sense that the lower pin seizes up on the right side (bottom, when stowed), I don't understand why the upper pin seems to behave in a similar manner.
Unless neither side has been greased in a long time.

I don't think you need to run road taxed diesel when on the road, unless it's in a registered vehicle. And, yes, used engine oil (especially from a diesel) does wonders when it comes to the coloration of the fuel. A few ounces in a SEE's tank would effectively make it black, and according to an analysis outfit I questioned on the subject, they would not be able to pick up any traces of dye.
But if you run off of a different tank, the dye would still be fully visible in filters, etc. An unusually evil cop could then claim that you switched tanks as you got stopped. Not likely to happen, but not impossible either.

For the small difference in fuel cost, I'd run regular diesel at all times instead of investing in dual tanks.
Actually, no I wouldn't. I will keep running red fuel, and the worst that's likely to happen is that a cop will tell me: "Can't you at least put a triangle on the back of that thing?".

anthkey

Another thing to keep in mind about the injection system is the ultra low sulfur diesel we are now using that the system was never designed for. Some lubricant/additive in the diesel could not hurt. I plan to use the old, filtered hydraulic fluid (aka motor oil) for this after changing to real hydraulic fluid.

I'm new at this... so this is news to me.. how much would ya add to a tank fer fill up? I'm running farm fuel...
I just did an oil change... still got it in a 5 gal bucket..

Migginsbros

How do you like those Pirelli tires? Do they improve on-road handling?
We can´t see a big difference in on road handling compared to the original Michelins.
You still have to be very observant and sensible on steering movements while driving up to 55.
The main reason for the tire change was due to the age, the bumps and cracks at the Michelins.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd buy a quart of diesel additive of your choice, to use while you make a filtration setup for your used oil.
One I made was gravity fed from a 5-gallon bucket, through a toilet paper filter (yes, you can still buy those). It took several hours on a warm day for it to go through with the bucket elevated eight feet, but it's not like you need to stand there and watch it happen.
If you stay with 5%, not only is it perfectly safe and legal, your used oil will last longer. For it to be legal, the oil must come from the vehicle you're running it in.
While the oil doesn't have to be filtered first, I would recommend it.

anthkey

I'd buy a quart of diesel additive of your choice, to use while you make a filtration setup for your used oil.
One I made was gravity fed from a 5-gallon bucket, through a toilet paper filter (yes, you can still buy those). It took several hours on a warm day for it to go through with the bucket elevated eight feet, but it's not like you need to stand there and watch it happen.
If you stay with 5%, not only is it perfectly safe and legal, your used oil will last longer. For it to be legal, the oil must come from the vehicle you're running it in.
While the oil doesn't have to be filtered first, I would recommend it.
I'm not the best at that...lololo ... so a Quart and a half to 30 gal?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not the best at that...lololo ... so a Quart and a half to 30 gal?
Yeah, but don't worry if it's one quart, one and a half, or two. Start with one and see if you notice any difference.
You'll definitely know when you've added too much for the motor's liking. Not likely to happen until you exceed 25% or so.

General Hood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsAVhmluBqo

to all whom it may concern.
A fast ride on desert/gravel pit pavement with the Flu 419 SEE at the end thru the washboard section.
Sorry for the 2 stroke sound of a kids motorbike but we want to
load the video original. He actually really done well.
Nice, my ailing FLU419 would come closer to doing the tractor tipping scene from the 2006 CARS movie

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sure hope that you mean two replacement batteries. And they should be identical, from the same batch. Hooking two different, or one old and one new battery together, will result in ending up with two batteries that need replacement.
What fits? Obviously the stock size, which is available at NAPA, and probably most any place willing to order a pair for you.
If you go back and read this thread you'll find photos of Optima Group 31s installed in the box after minor modifications.
Or, you can use two typical car/pickup batteries and make your own tie downs accordingly, but being in New York you may want to go big. Some SEEs don't like to start all that easily, especially when it's cold.

fcnavojo

NAPA batteries

[QUOTE=The FLU farm;2014195]I sure hope that you mean two replacement batteries. And they should be identical, from the same batch. Hooking two different, or one old and one new battery together, will result in ending up with two batteries that need replacement.
What fits? Obviously the stock size, which is available at NAPA, and probably most any place willing to order a pair for you.
If you go back and read this thread you'll find photos of Optima Group 31s installed in the box after minor modifications.
Or, you can use two typical car/pickup batteries and make your own tie downs accordingly, but being in New York you may want to go big. Some SEEs don't like to start all that easily, especially when it's cold.[/QUOTE]

Do You know what the NAPA batteries are? The ones they showed me (Although they look the same) are a little too big to fit in the rack.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to post number 1700, they should be a 6TMF. It really shouldn't matter what brand they are (there are only so many manufacturers anyway) but a given model battery should be a certain size.
Then again, tire sizes are nominal, and maybe batteries vary a bit, too? I can look at the sticker of mine later today to verify what size they are.

But unless you're working on a restoration and want everything to be as original as possible, or like checking water levels, I'd recommend going with the Optima Group 31s.

Okay, it is a 6TMF. There's proof that some things you read on the internet can indeed be true.

Last edited:

Speedwoble

No updates in a while. Progress on FLU #1 has stalled as I bought a Lotus Elise and that has taken a lot of my time. Just picked up the last 2 hydraulic fittings I needed to plumb the new cylinder in for the RH stabilizer of backhoe #1 now on FLU #2. Exercised it for the first time tonight and no leaks so far. The old backhoe on #2 would leak a gallon of oil every time I unfolded it.Now I need to clear space for #3! You heard it right. I wasn't looking for another(who am I kidding) but my google search alert for flu419 had a hit two weeks ago for a FLU being auctioned via silent bid from a city in Illinois. Knowing that the state and local governments get first pick on surplus equipment, it seems as though theirs seem to be the nicest units for sale. So I requested pictures and it looked clean, no rust on the cab. I submitted a lowball bid and expected not to get it. I got the call today that I was the winner! It supposedly runs with all systems operating and comes with the hydraulic tools. I also get a title and it is cheaper than the first, non-running one I bought!So plan now is to part out my long suffering FLU#1 and admit defeat. #2 will be listed for sale at a price that I would be happy to sell it at. If it doesn't sell, it will be converted to a 406-like dump bed pickup and hopefully #3 will be the nice FLU I always wanted. A little more digging and a little less mechanic'ing.

Attachments

peakbagger

Great news, those municipal deals are usually a good deal. I think a lot of them are picked up in good faith but the mechanics revolt when they see them so the first time there is a minor issue, it gets parked and eventually gets resold. There also may be a few folks that are working the system and acquiring a SEE through a government channel for state and local entities and somehow getting them out of the system for resale.

I expect you will have plenty of buyers for parts given the number of beat up ones coming out of Texas. Take out the cab wiring harness carefully and you can probably sell it for a bundle.

I think the actual market for SEEs is flooded, far fewer buyers with cash than the number on SEEs on the market. Looking at Ebay, there are far more completed listings than actual sales. I expect that someone could do well converting a SEE back to 406 configuration, I have seen a few German examples. Once all the SEE special components are taken off, you end up with effectively a near brand new low miles 406. You will need new springs. Just leave the roll cage on as 406s do have a bad rep for roll overs.

If you do the dump bed project I would be very interested, I am researching converting my 1300 to a three way tipper bed and having a tough time getting specs on the suspension system they use to keep the frame flexible.

Speedwoble

. Once all the SEE special components are taken off, you end up with effectively a near brand new low miles 406. You will need new springs. Just leave the roll cage on as 406s do have a bad rep for roll overs.
I'm curious why you mention the springs. I had thought they had very heavy springs for air dropping, but when I drove mine around without the loader or backhoe, I found the suspension quite pliable. At 9700 lbs without attachments,I It still weighs ~1700 lbs more than a Case mb4/94. I will weight it today with the backhoe on.

peakbagger

When I think about it, if you are turning it into a dump, then you do want heavier springs. I guess I was thinking that for off roader you would want softer springs then one needed to deal with all the extra weight of SEE components. With a dump you may want to keep the frame reinforcements.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks