• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

911joeblow

Joeblow, that looks nice. Perfect for fence posts. Can you share some details on the attachment model and what modification was done to make it fit. I could use the same setup...
I ordered the bracket from my equipment rental place who ordered it from LOWE who makes the original auger for the FLU419. I am absolutely sure that there are other ways to do this and the bracket will fit many other larger form augers like the LOWE unit. I figured that having the bracket would let me rent augers any time I need them. I rented the auger and blade for a week to install a few acres of ranch fencing. I did have to make hoses as these augers are all for skid steers and the hoses are 5'-6' or so and we need 11.5' per the manual. I bet you could get away with a little shorter but I went with the manual. I have very rocky soil with big river rocks and it is eating them up like nobodies business. All said and done the economics are as follows: Rental for a week is $280 (new unit is $3K), bracket was $250, hoses were $250.

Speedwoble

The following weights are with no driver and <1/4 tank of fuel, no tools in boxes.
Weight of the unimog without the loader or backhoe is 9740lbs!
LF 2940 RF 2865
LR 1920 RR 2025
I don't know the weight of the backhoe or loader alone, yet.
With backhoe in transport position, loader removed
13625 total
RF 2625 LF2600
RR 4065 LR4340

With backhoe and loader in transport positions
15530 total
RF 4170 LF4370
RR 3475 LR3510

What I find interesting is the weight transfer with the loader on. Though the loader is ~1900 lbs, it shifts 3000lbs to the front axle via cantilever.

Speedwoble

Another opinion I would like from you all is should I drop the front bucket off prior to parking it? I think front bucket will just get in the way until I can work through all the maintenance / repair work I expect to have to do initially. Are there any cons to removing it?
I disagree with the others. Absolutely remove the loader. It doesn't take long, it is good practice, and it opens up the front of the truck. It's a good chance to loosen and grease the bolts holding it on. No downsides.

peakbagger

I agree with Speedwoble, I wish I had done it when sorting out my SEE. Gaining access to the hood is a major PITA with the loader in place. Obviously don't use the backhoe with it off as it needed as a counter balance.

If you do remove the loader make sure that you properly support it. It is heavy and could cause a severe injury if it falls on you. Note that others have indicated that getting it unbolted could be difficult due to rust. Definitely a place for lots of penetrant and possibly a torch for heating things up.

Speedwoble

New Mog #3 arrived today! Much better shape than #2. Better hydraulic hoses.
Also, it came with a full tool box! Just when I was getting used to the storage space, this one has the hydraulic tools, bits, a grease gun, the elusive ripper shank, and even a sledge to install the ripper shank! Not bad for a price similar to Flu Farm's parts truck.
Assuming these work, I think I will be selling my first set of Hydraulic tools.

Attachments

Last edited:

General Hood

New Mog #3 arrived today! Much better shape than #2. Better hydraulic hoses, Better clutch and brake feel. I recommend driving a second(or 3rd) one. You may find out that what you think is a Mog "quirk" is a deficiency.
also, it came with a full tool box! Just when I was getting used to the storage space, this one has the hydraulic tools, bits, a grease gun, the elusive ripper shank, and even a sledge to install the ripper shank! Not bad for a price similar to Flu Farm's parts truck.
Assuming these work, I think I will be selling my first set of Hydraulic tools.
Very nice. You're building the SS East FLU fleet, as FluFarm is building the west fleet

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shipping guy asked me if it was moving under it's own power, and I did not really know how to answer. The description said that it ran and that the transmission was operational so I think it must be. I would rather not have to pay for a tow truck if I can avoid it. What do you think?
It has most likely been forklifted before, so one more time probably wouldn't hurt...much. GP would likely do that for you.
Unloading obviously requires nothing more than gravity, and possibly a tug with a tow strap. At least if the driver thought to bring ramps.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With backhoe in transport position, loader removed
13625 total
RF 2625 LF2600
RR 4065 LR4340

With backhoe and loader in transport positions
15530 total
RF 4170 LF4370
RR 3475 LR3510

Thanks for those numbers, Speedwoble. Now I know for a fact that my tires are overloaded...even with an empty bucket. They're 4,200 lbs. max, and I run nowhere near max inflation pressure. Oh well, it seems to work fine anyway.

General Hood

It has most likely been forklifted before, so one more time probably wouldn't hurt...much. GP would likely do that for you.
Unloading obviously requires nothing more than gravity, and possibly a tug with a tow strap. At least if the driver thought to bring ramps.
All 3 of the Texarkana region lots will assist with load out. If they can get the machine running, they will drive it up on the trailer for you, and non runners can either be forklift loaded, or winch loaded

Another Ahab

Thankfully, the lower temperatures and lack of humidity seems to kill the rats off before they get here. Either that, or a tornado sucks them out of the FLUs during transport.

That might be where they wait, up in the sky.

Then they swoop down from there on unsuspecting FLU's for infiltration.

It's all starting to make sense now....

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That might be where they wait, up in the sky.

Then they swoop from there down on unsuspecting FLU's for infiltration.

It's all starting to make sense now....
If so I might have accidentally killed few while shooting prairie dogs. And the ones running East were most likely heading back to the General's 'hood.

Speedwoble

Thanks for those numbers, Speedwoble. Now I know for a fact that my tires are overloaded...even with an empty bucket. They're 4,200 lbs. max, and I run nowhere near max inflation pressure. Oh well, it seems to work fine anyway.
Yeah, I suspected that when I first got the MOG. Now confirmed. It is notable that adding an operator would push the LF overloaded as well. Hence my desire to change to 365/80R20's
My Sand Trails are even worse. I can't find weight ratings anywhere, but they are "10ply rated" whereas the Michelins are "12 ply rated".
I also found the weight distribution without the loader to be interesting. It explains to me why I noticed reasonable handling with the loader removed.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I suspected that when I first got the MOG. Now confirmed. It is notable that adding an operator would push the LF overloaded as well. Hence my desire to change to 365/80R20's
My Sand Trails are even worse. I can't find weight ratings anywhere, but they are "10ply rated" whereas the Michelins are "12 ply rated".
I also found the weight distribution without the loader to be interesting. It explains to me why I noticed reasonable handling with the loader removed.
I don't remember what the Michelins are rated at, but while they may have a correct load rating for the application, I think that's about the only thing they have going for them.
Street? No. Mud? No. Sharp rocks? No. Snow? No. Sand? Probably a good design for sand. But until I move to the Sahara, that doesn't matter to me.

Speedwoble

I don't remember what the Michelins are rated at, but while they may have a correct load rating for the application, I think that's about the only thing they have going for them.
Street? No. Mud? No. Sharp rocks? No. Snow? No. Sand? Probably a good design for sand. But until I move to the Sahara, that doesn't matter to me.
All michelins on Mogs #1&2 are 4410 lbs single at 50PSI. Mog #3 has Michelins at 4400lbs single at 50 psi.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks