• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will dig deeper after this big job is done. I have not really spent too much time since the initial overhaul looking at the air system. It is on the 'list' ;).
Ah, I've always had better luck listening ​for air leaks than looking for them. But then again, you did mention going three feet into the river.

f800

Still no FLU, I talked to the shipper, and the army yard boss is not going available until next week. Either that or the shipper is feeding me bull, but it all amounts to it will get here next week.

So while I am waiting I have been gathering supplies. If one of you kind souls would look over my list and give me some feed back on what I have gotten so far or stuff I have missed for the initial run through, I would appreciate it.

itemFLU manual infoDiscussion
5 Gal AW32 Hydraulic fluid32 gallons (44 quarts front, 84 quarts rear)I am only getting 5 gallons right now, I am assuming that can tide me over until I can shop around for that volume, and verify the major systems are functional / or economically fixable. If it is leaking like a sieve I may have to revisit this idea. I got Valvoline from NAPA. but I can get a 55 gallon drum of Costal for 290 + 95 dollars shipping
80W90 Gear Oil - 5 gala little less than 2.5 gallonsMore than I need for FLU, but I have some differed maintenance
3 Gal 15W40 motor oilmax 11.6 / min 8.1 + 1 quart for filterWith the filter change it will be less than full, but close enough for government work.
44 oz. DOT 5 silicone brake fluid.1 quart between the brake (.8 qt) and clutch (.2 qt)
1 V-Belt
NBH 259350
12.5 x 900 For the power steering pump. NSN 3030-01-247-3224 -- NAPA says this one is 12 mm x 899 mm, FLU farm confirms fit
1 V-Belt NBH 25944012.5 x 1125For Hydraulic pump, NSN 3030-00-528-3968 -- Napa says this one is 12 mm x 1127 mm FLU farm confirms fit
1 V-Belt NBH 25957012.5 x 1450For Crank., Alt., W. Pump, NSN 3030-00-529-0354 -- Napa says this one 12 mm x 1457
Super Start Fleet & Heavy Duty - Battery 6TL battery x 2length 10.5"
Width 11.875"
Height 9"
NSN 6140-01-431-1172 I got it at O'Riley, NAPA could not get it to me for 3 weeks.
1 case of lithium greaseIt is kind of old (OK its ancient maybe older than the FLU), I inherited it from my dad, but it is not supposed to go bad.
[H-1366-X]Mann-Filter European Oil Filter ElementPart # 001 184 70 25No NSN number in parts manual did a fair amount of searching based on Expedition and cross checking this seems to be correct.
1 x Air Filter - FLU 419 (C 18 436)NSN 2940-01-174-9142 -- lists a lot of part numbers
2 x Fuel Filter (0000901151)Part # NPN-026

In addition, I am going to order replacement hoses. The parts manual lists 3 preformed coolant hoses:
NSN 4720-01-225-1129 part # 406 987 5043 / 419 987 0043
NSN 4720-01-225-1130 part # 419 987 01 43
NSN 4720-01-241-4846 part # 419 987 02 43

Web Searches on those part numbers don't turn up any options. Both Euro Truck, and Expedition has them prices vary. I am concerned by Expedition, because the part number, and picture do not match diagram in the parts manual. Euro Truck does seem to match up, but no part numbers. All the other hoses in the cooling system are just cut to length with the correct diameter, so should be straight forward to replace. The hoses in the pictures supplied by GP look like they need to be replaced, but do not look like they are leaking. I don't think this needs to be a high priority replacement, but that could change after it gets here. For sure I will replace it before I put it under any kind of stress. If anybody has recommendations on hoses, it would be appreciated. As FLU farm pointed out the coolant in the storage tank went somewhere, but the GP report claims no leaks in the coolant system that could be a bad thing I just got to wait and see.
I'm catching up on a weeks worth of this thread. I got 55 gallons AW 32 For $299 with free shipping to one of their distribution centers from BuySinopec.com. They have a drop off in Denver, which looks close to you.

Another Ahab

I'm catching up on a weeks worth of this thread. I got 55 gallons AW 32 For $299 with free shipping to one of their distribution centers from BuySinopec.com. They have a drop off in Denver, which looks close to you.
Shoot, that works out to a $1.36/ quart (better than half the average retail).

It's a hard price to beat, or am I maybe missing something?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any idea what the model # is on the case back hoe?? 580... what letter..??
I blew the seal on 1 the swing right and left piston ...
Technically it's an M35C, but 580C seems to be the civilian counterpart. But I've also seen 580D mentioned.
Not that it really should matter, as your local friendly hydraulic shop will measure the seals anyway.

General Hood

Technically it's an M35C, but 580C seems to be the civilian counterpart. But I've also seen 580D mentioned.
Not that it really should matter, as your local friendly hydraulic shop will measure the seals anyway.
Keep in mind those cylinders do have some weight to them (remove, transport, re-install) I'm trying to convince the local John Deere shop to let me drive the SEE the 12 miles to their shop, and they can take on the seal replacement from there. i.e drop it off and wait till they call and say it's ready. So far it's taking a little more than friendly persuasion

rtrask

Two things, Sir Hood: One is that the swing cylinders are almost tiny, so they can't weight that much.
Also, suppose that (unlike you) anthkey isn't elderly and can handle physical tasks accordingly.
Ouch, ... there is capacity and desire both of which wane as we get a little wiser.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouch, ... there is capacity and desire both of which wane as we get a little wiser.
Yeah, I suppose we all age a little differently. In my case the capacity has suffered a lot, but General Hood doesn't seem to have gotten any wiser.
Then again, I haven't know him for that long, so if it's a very gradual process I may not have noticed any improvements.

General Hood

Yeah, I suppose we all age a little differently. In my case the capacity has suffered a lot, but General Hood doesn't seem to have gotten any wiser.
Then again, I haven't know him for that long, so if it's a very gradual process I may not have noticed any improvements.
General Hood was wise enough to line up his transportation needs before he "clicked here to buy" :whistle:

rtrask

Good point. But now (in a roundabout way) you insulted Ron, who was defending you in post number 2131.
Only goes to prove that no good deed goes unpunished.
One could legitimately question my wisdom on "clicking here to buy" on my FLU, (or any of them for that matter) but what fun is that? Sometimes it takes a fool to get anything done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So today the parts (?) SEE showed up. Didn't want to try starting it (which turned out to be a good thing) so the loader was lifted with the SEE's backhoe and the valves closed so that it would stay up, for sure. And yes, I cleaned and lubed the cylinder rods first.DSCN0453[1].jpg

Pulled it off the trailer with the M1008, then hooked a tow bar to it so it could be pushed to the garage. The clutch and brakes work, but it's easier to use a tow bar, I think.DSCN0455[1].jpg

The bad: There was a lot of water in the tank.
It has a fair amount of forklift damage.
No spare (which doesn't much matter as it would've been a Michelin, and I have a few of those laying around).
No glad hand covers (they're dirt cheap, so no biggie).
Nothing in the toolboxes (which is exactly what I expected).DSCN0459[1].jpg
Dead batteries (which is exactly what I expected, but they might be salvageable).

The good: New tank sending unit.
Great looking hoses both on the loader and the backhoe. And elsewhere.
New fan belts.
Overall it seems very clean, to the point that the seal for the loader levers is pristine. Which is bad when you want a parts car.

Drained the tank, which contained nothing but water. Loosened the inlet at the primer pump, which dripped water. Crap. Why did they try starting this one?? Did they really think it'd run on water?
Checked the strainer. No grit or grime, but water. Checked the front filter, nothing but water. Double crap, this was not looking promising.
Checked the rear filter, and BINGO!! Maybe there was a little water, but primarily it had diesel in it. That means that the injector pump may be in the clear.

Well, that was the result of a quick look-see. Gotta cleanse the fuel system, then there's the engine oil and coolant check. After that, a starting attempt.
If it runs, it really isn't a parts car candidate, but it'd sure make it easier to move it around by myself.

Should it turn out to be a runner, I already know that all the backhoe's cylinder rods must be cleaned off well before trying the backhoe as they have a buildup of dirt on them. Plus there's most likely a dozen other things that'll need attention. Time will tell.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks