• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got a chance to make a bracket for the QD couplings for the snow blower on the Winter SEE.DSCN0967[1].jpg

Wish I had the time to make something nicer, like I did for the tractor, but while it looks like crap it does work better than zip ties. At least I hope it will.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have no snow blower but we get all the equipment in running condition, prepared for snow.
You're ahead of me (but don't feel special, most people are). I have yet to cut down the Pewag chains for the SEEs, and get the plows and snow blowers out of the shed.
Luckily, global warming has delayed the winter a bit, so there's still a possibility that it can get done in nice, dry weather.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Long overdue, today I finally made some new hood and battery box keys. Someone here asked about them months ago.

Bought the Craftsman 8mm sockets (P/N 33084) on eBay for about $2 a piece, and the so-called locomotive key for about $7.
The 10mm ratcheting wrenches were around $3 each on eBay, bought because I wanted a tool for bleeding the filters on board.

Anyway, the locomotive key didn't quite work out. It was easy enough to machine the square end so it fits a SEE hood, but the female end is too large, and being aluminum it can't easily be welded up, or to something that fits. Not by me, anyway.

Used some old rod and ground it to a reasonable facsimile of the factory key, then welded a socket to the other end and bent the rod. That means about $2 and 10 minutes to get an ugly but functional key instead of paying $26 for a nice looking one.
That's actually what got me started on this; I ordered two keys but only got one. Really needed two more but wasn't about to pay $52 plus shipping. Yes, I'm cheap.
DSCN0971[1].jpgDSCN0972[1].jpgDSCN0973[1].jpgDSCN0975[1].jpg
Hopefully this can help you make your own version, keeping some money for parts that are hard to make and better bought.

BigBison

1/4" drive socket handles with a stubby extender have been working for me, like on the latch for the battery tray etc, ordered a 4-pt thin-walled socket from grainger for battery box etc.

These stay in the glove compartment of each FLU along with tire-pressure gauge, SEE's tires about shot.

BigBison

I'm months behind here, as I've been couch surfing, but I am ordering up tires and chains this week. Any thoughts on Conti MPT-81's for the SEE?

I went Bridgestone M799 on my "new" '77 International Loadstar 7500, it came with 3-rail chains, badass winch, jim poles, wheel chocks etc. from an older buddy for $2K plus a pintle-hitch tow-behind concrete mixer.

I used the HMMH crane to put the cement mixer into the bed of my pickup (tight fit), transport it to my place, and unload it. Sorry no pics, don't know where my camera is.

peakbagger

Conti are pretty much the standard for new Unimog tires that are readily available. Plenty of folks buy the surplus military tires that are mostly Michelin XLs or XZLs. Not many lovers of the Michelin XLs on this site. There is

The standard suggestion is buy the MPT 80s for predominantly off road use, the 81s are intended more as road tires. I expect if you are using chains then you may be more interested in off road?

The other tire mentioned on occasion are Pirellis Pistas https://www.ebay.com/itm/335-80R20-...5R20-New-Tires-Military-Surplus-/263094551851

There are some other off road brands that some folks have tried. A major caveat is that load rating is real important with a SEE. I have run into a few off road tires for mud trucks that will fit that size but doesn't have the load rating.

The Euro is starting to go up relative to the US dollar so new European tires are going up in price.

Last edited:

BigBison

The tradeoff for me is the SEE's mostly for snow removal on my property, but needs to roll down the highway well without chains (because we all know the SEE's unstable enough on the highway). Thanks peakbagger, those Pirellis look about perfect for me...

rtrask

The tradeoff for me is the SEE's mostly for snow removal on my property, but needs to roll down the highway well without chains (because we all know the SEE's unstable enough on the highway). Thanks peakbagger, those Pirellis look about perfect for me...
you might also check out Simple Tire, I Like their service, and have some options I have not seen other places.

https://simpletire.com/catalog?width=12.5&ratio=-&rim=20

sdflatfender

I've been watching these FLU419 SEE rigs sell online for years now, but unfortunately I've been unable to bid for $financial reasons. Of course, now that they're all but gone from the auctions, I'm finally ready to purchase one and put it to work at home. I realize this is NOT the forum, but I'm just putting it out there incase you have an extra one laying around that's ready to work. I have just posted this in the Vehicles Wanted... Thanks and Thanks!

rtrask

I've been watching these FLU419 SEE rigs sell online for years now, but unfortunately I've been unable to bid for $financial reasons. Of course, now that they're all but gone from the auctions, I'm finally ready to purchase one and put it to work at home. I realize this is NOT the forum, but I'm just putting it out there incase you have an extra one laying around that's ready to work. I have just posted this in the Vehicles Wanted... Thanks and Thanks!
I would bet there are more out there, but I think they saturated the market and are not selling them for a while. Give it a few months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one I bought to be a parts SEE, and for the second time I ended up with one that's nicer than what I'm using. Except for the forklift damage.
If you're interested, PM me. I am not about to start taking any parts off of it, it's way to nice for that.

LZahariev

Does anyone have experience adding weather stripping to the doors? It looks like any general door weather stripping will work to fill the gap in the door jam. I thought having the weather stripping would help keep the worm air inside the cab and the diesel exhaust outside. Thanks.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought most of us cared about keeping rodents out of the cab, but you want to keep a worm in it?

Okay, just kidding obviously. Haven't had to replace any, but it sure looks like regular door seals would work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks