• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As BelinNC said, that adjustment most likely is the cause of lack of clutch. Set the gap first (recalling 1/16" slack, piston to arm gap) using the bolts on the slave, then use the adjustable link between piston and arm to get proper pedal free-play of an inch or more. The gap is to insure pressure is always completely released on the TOB actuating arm.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As BelinNC said, that adjustment most likely is the cause of lack of clutch. Set the gap first (recalling 1/16" slack, piston to arm gap) using the bolts on the slave, then use the adjustable link between piston and arm to get proper pedal free-play of an inch or more. The gap is to insure pressure is always completely released on the TOB actuating arm.
Far from an expert on this topic, but I am in the midst of a slave cylinder replacement on my SEE. It seems to me if you unbolted the slave cylinder during your recent work that you likely did not reset the proper gap between the slave cylinder piston and the clutch lever. There is an adjustment to be made and just bolting the slave cylinder back on does not assure you it was in the exact same location as before. Hopefully will be an easy fix. I am surprised to see how little the piston extends under pressure to actuate the lever.
When I said I removed the slave cylinder, I was not explicit in my explanation. I didn't remove the slave cylinder. I removed the entire bracket from the top of the transmission via the 4 bolts since this removal was necessary to remove the top of the transmission, so I assumed all of the adjustments would be unchanged when the bracket was re-installed since the slave cylinder was not removed from the bracket. I'm not sure what could have changed, but I will try adjustment before I replace the slave and/or master cylinder. Unfortunately, I still have to remove everything in the cab blocking access. This is much easier than tilting the cab, but is still a pain. When i re-installed the knob for 4X4, the plastic cracked. Fortunately, Expedition Imports sells new knobs for a reasonable price.

BELinNC

I recently put Continental MPT 81s on my SEE. They are equivalent to the 14.5 size so bigger than the 12.5 Michelins and there is a little rub on the fenders at max turns, but so much better in terms of ride stability and a bit lower rpms for any given speed. They seem much more suitable to the truck as opposed to the stock Michelins. Have no worries about street/hwy use with these installed. I had put MPT80s on my first SEE and loved them and felt it was a safety priority to get rid of the old Michelins on my current SEE. These ones are dated 2021. Here are pics of the sidewalls.IMG_4077.jpgIMG_4078.jpgIMG_4082.jpgIMG_4082.jpg

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I said I removed the slave cylinder, I was not explicit in my explanation. I didn't remove the slave cylinder. I removed the entire bracket from the top of the transmission via the 4 bolts since this removal was necessary to remove the top of the transmission, so I assumed all of the adjustments would be unchanged when the bracket was re-installed since the slave cylinder was not removed from the bracket. I'm not sure what could have changed, but I will try adjustment before I replace the slave and/or master cylinder. Unfortunately, I still have to remove everything in the cab blocking access. This is much easier than tilting the cab, but is still a pain. When i re-installed the knob for 4X4, the plastic cracked. Fortunately, Expedition Imports sells new knobs for a reasonable price.
I took everything apart again and found the problem. A piece of trash had gotten under the bracket that the slave cylinder bolts to. This resulted in the slave cylinder being slightly too high. I cleaned out the trash and now my clutch and intermediate speed control all work fine. I measured all of the freeplay in the clutch and everything was textbook perfect so I didn't have to adjust anything. I took the SEE for a 35-mile round-trip ride for diesel fuel to road test it. Now I can get back to digging trenches.

peakbagger

There is a store on Ebay that sells new ex military Pirelli Pistas in the stock size, they make a big difference for on road use compared to the Michelins.

BELinNC

The Continental MPT81s I showed above came from colonytire.com they have a mil surplus division in VA. They were very good to work with and shipping was fast and fairly reasonable. I believe they also had the Pirellis mentioned above by peakbagger. It may be there ebay store, I am not sure.

peakbagger

Yup, same place, I bought mine from someone who had bought several pairs from that place I believe, it saved me the hassle of getting mine shipped to my house and having to wait around when I was working mostly out of town. Obviously make sure the date codes are relatively recent.

A tire "guru" on one of the forums identified the brand and model of tires used on some of the Russian vehicles during the initial invasion of Ukraine as having not been manufactured for 30 years. I think once the SEEs got parked/hauled to Red RIver Depot, they stopped worrying about tires. I have one "best of the worst" Michelin left as my spare, its definitely showing its age.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long are the hydraulic hoses on other FLU419s? My reel is absolutely full, if not overloaded with hose. I measured my hoses and I have exactly 35 feet of double hose. I looked up the specs for the reel on my FLU419 and it stated that the reel is rated for 15 feet of double hose with the O.D. of the hose on my reel. This may be the reason my reel will only rewind about half of my hoses. With the last half of the hose, I have to manually help the reel rewind by hand.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having 20' extensions is a very good idea. I've used my entire 35' on several occasions and it barely reached. My reel has exactly 35', but it barely fits on the reel with the cover installed. My hose has the following nomenclature stamped on it.
Aeroquip FC310 08 HI PAC 3500 MAX OPER PSI MSHA 2G-9C/1 1087
According to Aeroquip, the hose has the following specs:
Aeroquip FC310-08 is a hydraulic hose that is part of the Hi-Pac wire braid family of hoses. It is designed for hydraulic system service with petroleum and water-base fluids, for general industrial service. The hose has a maximum operating pressure of 3500 PSI and a minimum operating temperature of -40°F. The hose has a maximum temperature of 212 deg. F.

My hose is in excellent condition with the exception of the last 18 - 24 inches where it is cracked and abraded. I'm going to cut off the last two feet.

peakbagger

Having 20' extensions is a very good idea. I've used my entire 35' on several occasions and it barely reached. My reel has exactly 35', but it barely fits on the reel with the cover installed. My hose has the following nomenclature stamped on it.
Aeroquip FC310 08 HI PAC 3500 MAX OPER PSI MSHA 2G-9C/1 1087
According to Aeroquip, the hose has the following specs:
Aeroquip FC310-08 is a hydraulic hose that is part of the Hi-Pac wire braid family of hoses. It is designed for hydraulic system service with petroleum and water-base fluids, for general industrial service. The hose has a maximum operating pressure of 3500 PSI and a minimum operating temperature of -40°F. The hose has a maximum temperature of 212 deg. F.

My hose is in excellent condition with the exception of the last 18 - 24 inches where it is cracked and abraded. I'm going to cut off the last two feet.
Mine was that way until recently when I got the hydraulics working and had a geyser of fluid spraying anything within about 20 feet. If I can find a place that will do it, I plan to have them cut the weather section off and crimp on new ends.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mine was that way until recently when I got the hydraulics working and had a geyser of fluid spraying anything within about 20 feet. If I can find a place that will do it, I plan to have them cut the weather section off and crimp on new ends.
PirTek is a vendor that will repair hoses with a little van that runs around town repairing hydraulic hoses. I have had them show up at my place and repair or replace hoses on my hydraulics and on air conditioning on big green trucks.

They have also accepted hoses from me at their office, repaired them and I pick them up later.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of places will do it where I live. I'm currently booked at Carquest for the job.

ODB

Hey guys, just joined after spending the last few days reading through this thread (I'm up to page 100) picking up my new to me SEE in a couple weeks. Always wanted a unimog but never really had an excuse to buy one until I found this thing for sale while looking for a tractor. I live in BC, Canada and I don't imagine a lot of SEEs made it over the border. I found one other one for sale on the other side of the country for a crazy price and have a line on a parts rig semi locally. May be in for a little electrical work as that seems to be a common issue with these. The seller agreed to knock a thousand off the price if he can't get the lights working by the time I pick it up. Body is clean and seems to be in decent shape mechanically beside needing rear axle seals and some work on the power steering system. Will be sure to post some pictures once I pick it up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks