• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

brandan34

Has anyone replaced the boots on the axle shafts? I have one of the axles loose and I am now stuck. I do not see anyway to get the one piece boot that the military used over the ball on the axle tube and into place. Is this a case where I get some tire changing spoons and force it or is there a trick? I have not find where this is changed in the manual, every other part of the tube and tranny, but not what they call the bellows.

brandan34

I am starting to see why they do that. If you use the split kind it does not have a spot for the airhose when you turn on the 4x4 and there was another reason that i forget now that ei thought like orginal was better. I do have a help ticket in with them. At this point i do not see it an obvious way other than force.

brandan34

That is what i have read and probably will, though it is nice to have options and there are places i could see wanting to go that those parts would be under water for a few minutes.

brandan34

That is what i have read and probably will, though it is nice to have options and there are places i could see wanting to go that those parts would be under water for a few minutes

peakbagger

If so, put a valve in the line so you can turn the air on when/if you want to pressurize the axles.
I think the problem is, if the new boot does not have an air connection, then the turning on the valve is not going to make a difference. I guess I need to crawl under my SEE once the snow melts as I did not know there was an air connection on the boot ;)

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I wanted to use the SEE that gave me all kinds of grief (fuel system, primarily) when I first got it.

After it sitting for maybe three months, including in -22 temps, I didn't really know what to expect. Well, it started up instantly - once I remembered that I have to push in the switch on the clutch by hand on that one.

That the temp gauge didn't seem to work didn't bother me. Or that it eventually went up to quite high, then down to normal. The wipers didn't work, either.
So what? These Unimogs are great.

MogPoggers

You guys may have seen a camo FLU419 with ripper bucket and new Pirelli Pista 22 tires for sale in Marengo, Ohio recently... and you may have noticed that the Ebay listing is no longer active. That's my doing. A deal has been struck and I will be in your exclusive little club very soon :)

I'm currently working my way through all 270 pages of this thread, along with the operator and technical manuals. See you in a couple months.

MogPoggers

Does anyone have thoughts on a rear PTO? Beyond it's normal uses, I want to use the FLU to run a haybine, tedder and hay baler. I'm not sure how accessible the existing rear PTO is, even with the backhoe removed - but even if that's feasible, I'd rather not do it. I will be using the hoe often, so I'd like to leave it attached.

I was thinking I might weld an attachment point for a hydraulic PTO to the bottom of the backhoe, above the pintle hitch and then tap into the tool/extension hydraulic system and run lines back to it so I can use the PTO while the backhoe is in the stowed position.

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You won't be able to run anything meaningful off the front hydraulics.

I ran a snowblower off of the rear hydraulics for a few years, but if I did it again I'd put valves in the circuits instead of having to switch the quick disconnects for the backhoe twice a year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks