• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

Another Ahab

I didn't want to tell my life story here or sound whiny so I haven't gone into detail, but we just lost our home to a fire back in October and I'm currently rebuilding my life from scratch with the settlement from that incident. Right now we're in a rental while we look around for a new place. I think I've identified one I want to buy, and we're in negotiations now, working on writing up the offer.

Point is: my truck and trailers were in the driveway next to the kitchen,
Happened to backtrack, and only catching this about your situation now.

That is horrible, and glad to know that (apparently) no one was physically hurt. But, of course, the psychic damage has got to be real.

I am sorry, MogPoggers. Hope it all comes back together for you sooner than later.

MogPoggers

condolences
Hey thanks. It was rough, and in that moment I couldn't imagine anything worse - my youngest son and I almost didn't make it out of there, and I spent a few weeks growing new skin on my hands, knees, feet and back. But yeah, everyone but the dogs made it out. They were just too scared and wouldn't follow me into the hall, so they perished.

But now, going on 5 months later, things are turning around. All I have to say is: thank goodness we had good insurance on everything. As a side note: if you don't have pictures of everything you own of value, I would recommend getting a camera out. It really makes the claims process easier (I know because I DIDN'T have said photos. Learn from my mistake).

peakbagger

Just print out the schematic and have it laminated. I printed mine out 'C' size and had it laminated for $1.00 at my local library.
A strong recommendation is to get the high resolution file from the Misc technical manual forum instead of the two part version in the student handout. Speaking of the student handout, you do want to get the smaller schematic that shows the rear deck wiring from the handout as that is not on the large schematic as the large one only shows Mercedes scope of supply while the small one is the equipment added on after it left the factory.

I havent seen our benefactor who bought the pile of them at auction for several years.

MogPoggers

Just so everyone knows, the funds for this purchase should actually be available tomorrow.

I don't know why I'm so excited to buy this thing; It's just a piece of equipment and I have legitimate, logical reasons to buy it - but I feel like a kid the night before Christmas. and of course, I'll feel the same way again when it actually gets delivered. Two Christmases in a month!

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know why I'm so excited to buy this thing; It's just a piece of equipment and I have legitimate, logical reasons to buy it - but I feel like a kid the night before Christmas. and of course, I'll feel the same way again when it actually gets delivered. Two Christmases in a month!
I can relate.

These things are fun, and there's a lot to learn. I love learning.

MogPoggers

there's a lot to learn. I love learning.
It keeps the mind occupied and keeps you feeling young inside. I'm a self taught programmer, mechanic, cook, etc. As that song from The Lion King says "There's more to see than can ever be seen, more to do than can ever be done".

Self improvement and education is the purpose of life, IMO. No shame in trying and failing - the only shame is in giving up or becoming stagnant.

Hey, I bet you could even learn to make videos ;)

Last edited:

peakbagger

A bit of a sneak peek for you guys - I got a call from the logistics company just now; my SEE is on it's way - should be here tonight. Here's the picture they sent me.

View attachment 917546
A bit of a sneak peek for you guys - I got a call from the logistics company just now; my SEE is on it's way - should be here tonight. Here's the picture they sent me.

View attachment 917546
Looking good from here. Looks like new paint on the front bucket. Did it come with any hydraulic tools (jackhammer, drill and chainsaw)? I would be interesting if you got the standard bucket or the optional ripper bucket. Post a few more pictures including one from the back.

The hood looks nice from here. Be real careful taking it off, with one person its real easy to bend or distort it. Also with one person its easy to rip the brake fluid level warning wires (been there done that)

When you get it, download the operating manual and do the 360 degree check out before you go play with it. If you follow it section by section you are going to make sure that all the important fluids and grease are topped up. Some of those grease fittings are tough to find but they are there. You may find some grease fittings on the backhoe that will not accept grease as the original grease is solidified. It going to mean you may have to disassemble things.

No matter what, change the portal axle fluid and top it up on all four wheels. If they run dry, its a very expensive repair. Years ago I posted how to drain the differential locks, its not in any of the military manuals and the plugs are painted over with CARC paint. They need to be lubricated on occasion or they will freeze up. The fix if they are stuck its a 20 dollar part and taking the differential apart to get to it.

And remember brake and clutch fluid is silicone based dont use normal brake fluid or bad things will happen.

MogPoggers

It's here!

It was dropped off at the road down from the property, so I didn't have the luxury of doing a complete check before moving it... needed to get it off the road. It started up instantly, and sounded really nice. The interior is immaculate... not even any tears in the seats. 971 miles on the odometer, and 38 hours on the engine. The hotshotter who dropped it off said it was hands down the coolest thing he's ever hauled, and he got all kinds of attention on the way here, lol.

I took it easy getting it up to the property. Nice and slow, just getting a feel for it.. but I was able to test low, high and reverse ranges up to third gear, including the split gears. Once I got it to it's current parking spot I went around and found all the grease fittings I could. Everything looked recently greased, and I didn't see any dirt/paint on the cylinders.

After checking hydraulic fluid, I ran it through it's paces. Everything seems to work except for the RPM bump switch in the rear... I'll have to see what's up with that. No hydraulic leaks anywhere, backhoe and loader operate smoothly, and it all seems very clean. It has the Wain Roy rock bucket with rippers, so it looks like a zombie-slaying apocalypse machine.

It came with the jackhammer and the attachments for that tool only. I didn't test the jackhammer, but at least it's there. Almost all hydraulic hoses on the machine are brand new, and the tires are brand new Pirelli Pista PS22s.

Before I move it again I'll be sure to change all the portal axle fluid. Thanks all for the advice.

I was going to take pictures/video for you but the sun is going down now, so that will have to wait for tomorrow. So far I'm very happy with it!

Here are a couple pictures from the listing. Like I said, I'll get more pics/video tomorrow.

s-l1600 (1).pngs-l1600 (13).pngs-l1600 (5).pngs-l1600 (15).png

Last edited:

MogPoggers

Sure am happy for you, MogPoggers!

What projects are you thinking about, up there in Jamestown?
Well, Jamestown is still in the works. Right now I'm still in a rental place up in the hills above Allegany, NY. There's a property near Jamestown that we're almost certainly buying, so I put that as my location, but it's not a done deal just yet.

All sorts of projects, to be honest... digging ponds and ditches, using the backhoe as a light duty crane, putting forks on the bucket to move round bales around, and put those bales up into the hayloft, etc. To be honest I'll probably construct a root cellar/bunker with it too. It'll get all kinds of use. I'll take good care of it, but it won't be a garage queen, I bought it to use. That's the reason I got the best one I could find... I didn't want to spend the first 6 months getting it into working condition.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks