• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fluid coupling...fluid flywheel...or torque converter

Ferretboy

Hey all you guys and gals....if you own a ferret or any vehicle with the wilson type gearbox that uses a fluid coupling....fluid flywheel...or as us yanks say a torque converter....make sure you check that its topped up....they are notorious for leaking....last year i removed about 100 lbs. of c-42 radio to get to the plug to check fluid level....half empty or half full depending on your optomisum....topped it up...drip drip till i figured that 50 year old seal needed attention.....story continued next week...stay tuned...thank you all.

Ferretboy

Hey all you guys and gals....if you own a ferret or any vehicle with the wilson type gearbox that uses a fluid coupling....fluid flywheel...or as us yanks say a torque converter....make sure you check that its topped up....they are notorious for leaking....last year i removed about 100 lbs. of c-42 radio to get to the plug to check fluid level....half empty or half full depending on your optomisum....topped it up...drip drip till i figured that 50 year old seal needed attention.....story continued next week...stay tuned...thank you all.
Oh a photo or twoff (1).jpg1029191647 (600x338).jpg

Ferretboy

Well i decided to start the work before winter came..removed everything that needed to be out of the way....and about 350 lbs...of engine components to lighten it up...hooked up an engine hoist....then the lift....terrifying!!! Having to lift the power pack that high for removal...not my first...but i always am afraid something might fail...it took all of about 2 minuets to lift and roll the ferret out from under it...what a relief to set it down...now for cleaning and some paint...also that seal!!! A few photos and next time i will finish the story....1029191647b (600x338).jpg1030191058 (600x338).jpg1125191600 (600x338).jpg1208191511c (600x338).jpg

Ferretboy

Oh and thank you m813rc for the thumbs up...glad someone is looking...
Well i decided to start the work before winter came..removed everything that needed to be out of the way....and about 350 lbs...of engine components to lighten it up...hooked up an engine hoist....then the lift....terrifying!!! Having to lift the power pack that high for removal...not my first...but i always am afraid something might fail...it took all of about 2 minuets to lift and roll the ferret out from under it...what a relief to set it down...now for cleaning and some paint...also that seal!!! A few photos and next time i will finish the story....View attachment 798072View attachment 798073View attachment 798074View attachment 798075

Ferretboy

Well after much cleaning of the engine and engine bay then it was off to add some paint....then came the seal replacment....no big deal...had a part number so off to john deere dealer...no problem....the new seal is made a little different...has two lips....the seal carrier uses a flanged washer that has to be reversed to fit....ive read another guys story so i hope it works out o.k. new seal in...engine and gear box mated back together...then the big lift again....well it took me much longer to get the power pack back in place and lined up...id say 10 minuets......relief again....now i can take my time cleaning and replacing all the parts i took off...then a crank up and check for leaks...better not be any....its been slow but i do work alone.....ill let you all know how it goes...20200502_113649 (600x450).jpg

Ferretboy

Well i have just got electrics back in place....she cranks over.....now for some fuel....im not going with the original tank just yet....a remote can....will try to adapt a jerry can....i dont run it much anyway...everthing is topped up...no leaks so far....im happy. Until later.....

Ferretboy

Well got the gas to it today.....took a little while to get it to the carb....theres a primer lever on the fuel pump but on a ferret you just cant reach it....she fired up.....ran a while....no leaks so far.....will run several times and keep checking....then ready to button it up and reinstall the radio....so far so good...

Ferretboy

Thanks....ive been starting it up and have not found any leaks so far...about being street legal....you have to check with your state.....i have a title for mine but more and more states want privately ownened military vehicles off the road...ohio i think will not issue anymore titles for them...20200519_140037 (600x450).jpg

Ferretboy

They should be originally painted chocolate brown...i m not anticipating trouble....but thats how it may have looked....many bins have been changed over the years....i think the crews could customize things a bit.....many things got chucked over a hill and lost....best to fill it up so you have something to bust your elbows on......ha ha.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks