• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fluid running down firewall!?!

Wolfie

I got into my m1009 this afternoon and noticed the top of the floor mat on the driver's side looked wet, it was, so is the firewall behind it, (it's soaked into the insulation) and some of the floor. Not sure what on earth it is, but it's black and smells terrible, (like chemicals) and I doubt it's oil. Could this be power steering fluid? brake fluid? tranny fluid? I popped the hood and couldn't find anything leaking...near the firewall anyway

Last edited:

jj

Power steering fluid from the hydroboost power brake system. A civilian truck of mine has the same system and has been dripping like that since i've owned it. Maybe, it has cost me four quarts of power steering fluid in twenty years. I can't justify the expense of the repair. If it was worse... If it fails, i would think you'd lose the power brakes. That means two feet on the pedal, but you will still be able to stop. If it fails even worse, you lose power steering. Again, you can limp home, but you'd better have eaten your Wheaties that day. I have honestly never even explored the cost of R&R on this system, maybe somebody else here has?

Wolfie

Ok, seems the power steering lines under the hood are leaking like crazy...the expensive ones, not the rubber ones with the screw clamps. The fluid was empty. As for the fluid down the firewall, they think it's the hydrolic brake booster...but when I got home and checked the brake fluid, it was full, so that's a bit of a relief, but I guess I still need that booster? Anyone have a good place for this part?

Last edited:

IRWFO

The fluid in the brake booster is coming from the power steering pump.

GM probably has everything you need. Surplus I don't know.