• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

flywheel help

serp

started rear main seal replacement project today. on deuce . trans came out easy. pressure plate and disc. came out easy. can not remove flywheel bolts. used 24 volt impact gun from another deuces slave receptacle. bolts will not move used air impact gun still nothing 24 volt has 750 lbs of torque. whats up

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm...don't remember having any trouble with those, perhaps Leonard can comment, he did the real work on my seal replacement, I was just the helper.

Matt (FSBruva) did his a few days ago.

Attachments

serp

flywheel is off it took a 1000 lb ft of torgue impact gun to remove bolts. seal is really dried out. ordered all new stuff ,will put back together soon.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I busted a gut literally removing a Pontiac GTO flywheel 20 years ago. But the Craftsman socket cracked first. The second one held. Sears replaced it, but the guy did ask how I managed to break it and was skeptical about a 24" snap-on rachet. He didn't argue about replacing it, just was skeptical that one person on the end of a long rachet could breal that. The socket may have been defective, I suppose. I am glad you got them out, 1000FT Lb is huge torque!

Mr. Bjorn, sir..
Do I see by the picture that the rear main seal is the shiny new aluminum looking thing, and that it can be replaced "easily", when a clutch job is done? (assuming one removes the flywheel)

And I saw your article on grounding in the mag. That is a great article there. I bet alot of people overlook the special little washers.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for those kind words Patrick. About the washers, I'm still looking for a source...

The shiny thing you see is the seal retainer. Leonard drilled two additional drain holes in it according to TM and pressed the seal into it, as can be seen in the images below.

Attachments

FSBruva

The TM calls for the bolts to be oiled, then tightened to 80-90 lbs ft, then tightened to 115-120 ft lbs. I didn't oil mine, so added the requisite 10%, according to the standard torque values chart. I ran an "S" hook and a ratchet strap to the frame to keep the flywheel from rotating while I was torquing the bolts down.

There exists the possibility that the person before you tightened the dickens out of those bolts, without knowing the torque specs. Now you know that next time, you will have it easy, because the bolts are torqued properly!!!

Matt

serp

napa sells clutch alignment tools. kit comes with different size pilot bushing ends that screw on. . and a carrot shaped spline tool. not sure how much borrowed it from a friend

FSBruva

The flywheel installation stud and clutch alignment tools are both mentioned in the Multifuel TM, as in "Have the machine shop make you a stud according to drawing #xx."

For the deuce multi, that's a 1/2" bolt, with 20 TPI. Threaded rods can be had pretty much anywhere. However, the deuce flywheel is probably about 60 lbs, which is probably a lot heavier than the mutt flywheel (just a guess). Serp is right about the clutch alignment tools. I had a spare transmission, and used the hot knife to cut the input shaft off - instant alignment tool.

Matt