• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flywheel/rear main seal tips..trying to give back a little

ccf460

I recently had to change my flywheel. Instead of dropping the whole unit, I put 2- four inch long bolts in the bottom 2 holes betwwen the engine/tranny. Removed the 4 crossmember bolts and dropped the driveshafts at the diffs only,while a jack supported the assembly at the crossmember. After removing the flywheel to torque converter bolts, slide the transmission/transfer case assembly straight back on the longer bolts. I had plenty of clearance to remove the crankshaft to flywheel bolts. Reassembly was a snap, it just slid right back into place.I used a borrowed transmission jack ( without the straps/chains ), but a normal wheeled jack would have done the same job. I also believe the rear main could be serviced in the same fashion. Also of note, there was room to slide even further back had I used longer bolts. The bolts are 3/8 x 16 tpi. Hope this gives the average home mechanic ( like me), the courage to tackle this type of job, it saved me $ 225 in labor, and was a one man operation.:)

crazywelder72

I just saw this is In the cucv. Sorry about that. I did a search on seals and just read it but didn't look to closely.

I will remove this and but it in "the deuce"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks