• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV A1 - Relay that Identifies Engine is Running

charlesrg

I'm running a derivation of the 260a, yes. My truck came from the factory with the 260a as a 2008 M1079 A1R. I'm running the 300a version for the HIMARS missile platform.
I might need to get one of the new alternator kits later if the 2kw of solar becomes insufficient.

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
unfortunately alternators don’t work like that... they are a constant voltage power supply and dont know nothing about battery float voltage. Being a constant voltage supply, all they know is to make rated voltage until the load is so great they are unable to maintain that. I have actually load tested my 100A alt. At idle with a 100A pile across 24v at the battery i measured 13.8/27.6. At half throttle(1600-1800RPM) with the load still applied I get 13.9/28VDC… I have no 12v load on the alt. It is connected to the middle of my pair of group31’s but I derive all the truck 12v with a 24-12 converter.

using that voltage as a trigger will not insure the service batteries are done taking all the alts output…
You rewired the 12v feed to the PDP to run off 24 to 12 converter? I like that idea, keeping the alternator all on 24v, right? Which converter and where did you locate it?

Ronmar

Mine is a vanner converter equalizer that was basically gifted to me. Victron makes a nice 70A, orion 24-12 that would be my choice as it is small enough to fit in under the power panel, or down behind the kickpanel. Did videos on utube under username Rronmar...

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is a vanner converter equalizer that was basically gifted to me. Victron makes a nice 70A, orion 24-12 that would be my choice as it is small enough to fit in under the power panel, or down behind the kickpanel. Did videos on utube under username Rronmar...
I keep forgetting to look at rronmar Youtubes. When I remember they are very enlightening. Thank you–

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might need to get one of the new alternator kits later if the 2kw of solar becomes insufficient.
2 KW is a LOT of solar. But remember they won't produce peak power unless they are angled directly at full sun, and also unless it's a sunny day in winter the panels will derate due to heat. I have 1.6 KW on my truck and the most I have seen it put out is about 1.3 KW when I'm driving the truck and there's airflow over the panels to cool them - my panels aren't angled they are flat on my roof.

That's still a ton of solar. Where did you mount that much and what brand/size of panels are they? Mine are REC Pure Alpha 400w panels and they take up the whole area of my M1079 habitat.

charlesrg

2 KW is a LOT of solar. But remember they won't produce peak power unless they are angled directly at full sun, and also unless it's a sunny day in winter the panels will derate due to heat. I have 1.6 KW on my truck and the most I have seen it put out is about 1.3 KW when I'm driving the truck and there's airflow over the panels to cool them - my panels aren't angled they are flat on my roof.

That's still a ton of solar. Where did you mount that much and what brand/size of panels are they? Mine are REC Pure Alpha 400w panels and they take up the whole area of my M1079 habitat.
5 LG 440watts each
1703037935105.jpeg

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that's 1,760 watts of solar. Not 2Kw. But yeah very similar to my setup except I only have 12' of habitat on my M1079 van. I think my panels are technically 405 watts each. But again it will derate due to heat so you'll probably only get about 1.4 Kw if it's sitting in the hot sun. That's still a ton of solar and mine does really well for charging my 412 AH / 24v battery bank. The REC panels I'm running are 72" x 40" and that's virtually the largest panel I can run. Those LG panels wouldn't fit - the extra 4.5" would put them past the edge of my box. :)

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that's 1,760 watts of solar. Not 2Kw. But yeah very similar to my setup except I only have 12' of habitat on my M1079 van. I think my panels are technically 405 watts each. But again it will derate due to heat so you'll probably only get about 1.4 Kw if it's sitting in the hot sun. That's still a ton of solar and mine does really well for charging my 412 AH / 24v battery bank. The REC panels I'm running are 72" x 40" and that's virtually the largest panel I can run. Those LG panels wouldn't fit - the extra 4.5" would put them past the edge of my box. :)
Are we comparing STC (Standard Test Conditions) rating as panels are sold or NMOT (Nominal Module Operating Temperature) rating as they more likely perform real world? The STC rating for these 5 LG panels appears to be 2,200W. The NMOT rating appears the be 1,670W. If he mounts them with air flow below the panels and above the hab he may see 1.6 to 1.7kW at 8.5a.

The REC Alpha Pure 405's have an NMOT rating at 308W each panel delivering 7.83a. Which your observations support.

While that sounds like less your rig, @GeneralDisorder, appears to have more efficient power yield per area using the NMOT real world ratings of the two panels—

coachgeo

...very similar to my setup except I only have 12' of habitat on my M1079 van. ...
one thing people forget is that there appears to be nothing wrong with some (or a lot) of solar panel hanging off the back.of a habitat. Could over lap in front too if one is not worried about air underneath trying to rip that one off. (or cab tilt, spare tire lift whacking it) Heck if one is going to have motorcycle and/or spare on back... might as well have solar panel stick off back some too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks