• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV back up alarm

INFChief

I picked up this back up alarm. I can figure it out but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them.

It appears to be powered through the back up light when REVERSE is selected. There is a rocker switch that gets mounted on the dash. TomTime suggested the rocker switch is to isolate the circuit so it will not activate during tactical operations; and that makes sense.

Attachments

Third From Texas

I've installed them on my trucks. With the surplus venders being so very proud of their stuff I just get the commercial/industrial ones off Amazon (same or less price, no "plus bend over - $40 shipping" for something that arrives with $5 postal sticker on it). Preco's can be found on eBay most of the time (the same seller who supplies the surplus vendors, LOL). But IMO, commercial truck stuff is commercial truck stuff.

Five minute install. just bolt it on the bumperette somewhere and run a lead tied into the backup light. Truck goes into reverse, light comes on, horn comes on. If you want to mute it (which you should never do because you're not in combat) just turn off the lights. No lights, no beep.

Last edited:

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
…but doesn’t that defeat the purpose of turning the lights off just to kill the alarm, when you need the backup light to backup?

Third From Texas

…but doesn’t that defeat the purpose of turning the lights off just to kill the alarm, when you need the backup light to backup?
But why do you need a light to backup?

IMO, turning off either one defeats the purpose.

I don't get why would you ever want to be operating a vehicle of this scale with the lights or alarm off? One comes on, all my safety shit comes on. Unless you are on active duty or fighting in Ukraine, etc (in which case you'll likely be provided or steal a military vehicle). If I ever needed to go do some illegal sketchy shit in the dark, I sure as he'll wouldn't be doing it in MY truck.

;)

If my truck is running, my safety shit is running too. Lights, horns, b/u alarm, one of my my two reverse lights is a strobe, even the damned dash air alarm. But especially anything that let's others know to "stop staring at the big truck IT"S MOVING NOW". I have neighbor kids, dogs, drunks at the beach, to look out for...

INFChief

I don't get why would you ever want to be operating a vehicle of this scale with the lights or alarm off? One comes on, all my safety shit comes on. Unless you are on active duty or fighting in Ukraine, etc (in which case you'll likely be provided or steal a military vehicle). If I ever needed to go do some illegal sketchy shit in the dark, I sure as he'll wouldn't be doing it in MY truck.

;)

If my truck is running, my safety shit is running too. Lights, horns, b/u alarm, one of my my two reverse lights is a strobe, even the damned dash air alarm. But especially anything that let's others know to "stop staring at the big truck IT"S MOVING NOW". I have neighbor kids, dogs, drunks at the beach, to look out for...
You make a good point about safety; and that’s exactly why I’m installing this military kit. It happens to come with a cut-out rocker switch and so I’ll install that too.

I won’t be keeping this truck for ever but as long as I own it I’ll stick to my traditionalist philosophy. I guess that’s what 21 years in the Army can do to a guy.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter

;)

Well, I'm old and I need lights to the rear to see when backing up, but that's me.

My response to INFchief, when asked about why there was a rocker switch, I gave MY opinion and my opinion only.

My truck didn't come with a backup alarm and I will not be putting one since it never came with one. To date I have never have seen a FMTV, that came from the government. with one installed, but that's me, blind in one eye can't see in the other.

I have a camera system to install for my backup and truck surround needs and backup lights will definitely assist in backing, along with the additional lighting I will be installing.

For what I will be using my truck for and in my opinion, I personally don't need a loud beeping noise when backing up. I don't need to be backing up in my neighbor hood at night waking the neighbors, or if I'm coming into or leaving a camping area or have to move for some reason at night, waking up my temporary neighbors, pissing them off, or any other reason that would disturb others, but again, that's just me.

BUT, if I were to install one in I would want a switch to cut out the backup alarm, for the above reasons.

Of course opinions are like as$h0le$, everyone has one, but some are shitter then others...mine who knows... :poop:?

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand your reasoning, and if that works for you and anyone else, that is great :)!

As I always say, "to each their own!" and I stand by that whole heartedly!

Be safe,

Tom.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

;)

(SAFETY SHIT) ??????? Dont let him fool yall the only thing lit up on his truck are the neon signs (FREE BEER FOR HOTTIES) (FREE TANNING SESSIONS) (FREE OIL MASSAGES) thats all and for some the (LAST) lights that will be seen on their (harmless ) trip to the beach they thought! How many lites you got on your vehicle arrestor (car snare) NOT 1 LIGHT !

INFChief

Well, I'm old and I need lights to the rear to see when backing up, but that's me.

My response to INFchief, when asked about why there was a rocker switch, I gave MY opinion and my opinion only.

My truck didn't come with a backup alarm and I will not be putting one since it never came with one. To date I have never have seen a FMTV, that came from the government. with one installed, but that's me, blind in one eye can't see in the other.

I have a camera system to install for my backup and truck surround needs and backup lights will definitely assist in backing, along with the additional lighting I will be installing.

For what I will be using my truck for and in my opinion, I personally don't need a loud beeping noise when backing up. I don't need to be backing up in my neighbor hood at night waking the neighbors, or if I'm coming into or leaving a camping area or have to move for some reason at night, waking up my temporary neighbors, pissing them off, or any other reason that would disturb others, but again, that's just me.

BUT, if I were to install one in I would want a switch to cut out the backup alarm, for the above reasons.

Of course opinions are like as$h0le$, everyone has one, but some are shitter then others...mine who knows... :poop:?

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand your reasoning, and if that works for you and anyone else, that is great :)!

As I always say, "to each their own!" and I stand by that whole heartedly!

Be safe,

Tom.
i did not mean to imply that your opinion was right or wrong. But it makes sense to me and I think you’re correct.

Agreed; to each their own.

For everyones benefit: This back up alarm is a “kit”. It isn’t issued with the truck. Kits are designed to be installed on select vehicles. Many AD & Reseve/NG Units are often tasked with non-military operations such as operations other than war (OOTW). Installing a back up alarm would be prudent when operating any larger wheeled vehicle in an environment where civilians are actively present.

Putting this alarm on is my decision and it’s for safety reasons. If there are some folks who disagree that’s great; I appreciate your opinions.

I surely did not mean to rile up anyone.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whoa, I'm definitely not rile!...at least I'm not. I like a good conversation, where opinions are exchanged, that's the American way...at least for now.

Everyone should have their say and express their opinions. Sorry, if my response was taken that way.

Life's good! 😁 ...then you die 🤪

Tom.

Last edited:

Third From Texas

Well, that was kinda my point.

I just don't see operating the truck w/o BOTH the lights and alarm if you have them.

But as you say, situations vary so ymmv...

My neighbor hates my alarm. And I keep telling him that once he gets rid of his kids and dogs (and all the others in the neighborhood that stray into the sidewalk and street in front of my house) then I will happily stop beeping my truck at them. I'd rather have neighbors upset about the beeping than have to scrape some brat (or god forbid a DOG) out of my tire treads...

*I have a b/u alarm and strobe on my Baja race car as well because people get st00pid when they stop and gawk at my rides

:)

Last edited:

INFChief

I just don't see operating the truck w/o BOTH the lights and alarm if you have them.

My neighbor hates my alarm. And I keep telling him that once he gets rid of his kids and dogs (and all the others in the neighborhood) that stray into the sidewalk and street in front of my house then I will happily stop beeping my truck at them. I'd rather have neighbors upset about the beeping than have to scrape some brat (or god forbid a DOG) out of my tire treads...

*I have a b/u alarm and strobe on my Baja race car as well because people get st00pid when they stop and gawk at my rides

What is ymmv?

INFChief

My neighbor hates my alarm. And I keep telling him that once he gets rid of his kids and dogs (and all the others in the neighborhood) that stray into the sidewalk and street in front of my house then I will happily stop beeping my truck at them. I'd rather have neighbors upset about the beeping than have to scrape some brat (or god forbid a DOG) out of my tire treads...

I’m installing the rocker switch isolator because it came in the kit. Plus, one day when I sell this rascal it will be correct. The new owner can do what they want. lol

INFChief

The back up alarm will only operate when the service drive (headlights) is selected on. When selected to tactical or off, the B/U alarm is disabled.

It took me a few minutes to figure that one out when I installed mine.
So, I wonder what the rocker switch is for? To disable the alarm even when day time lights can be used?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yup. We wouldn't want to wake the general now would we? :)
Strangely enough, the M1089 Wrecker has a yellow button on the dash for the two flashing yellow lights mounted behind the cab.

Just like the backup alarm you have mentioned - those yellow lights - with their own independent light switch DO NOT work without the white lights being in the SERvice DRIVE in the on or running (right center) position.

Push Button Light Switch.jpg

Like you mentioned not waking up the general - guess these bright yellow lights NOT working keeps you from getting strafed in the dark :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks